"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #3521
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wow Katie! What a PITA. (((Hugs)))

When I lived in Denmark, they decided that tourists would be covered by Danish medicare for anything that happened/started in Denmark. They said it was because the paperwork to collect cost so much that it was just more efficient (and nicer) not to charge them.
Smart folks in Denmark. Since I have congested heart failure along with other ailments, I always worry about becoming ill far away from home. So now I no longer travel.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #3522
Master Chef

Is complaining about in-laws considered venting? Or is it simply redundant? Anyhow, my in-laws bough both of SIL houses, I mean really simply bough it. They are ok financially, couple of days ago my wife ask for help with our move, we found a house we like and decided it is good time to move. Not only they said “no”, they did not even bother to ask what kind of help we need. And I can tell you we were not expecting them to buy house for, just needed some help with down payment.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 PM   #3523
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Is complaining about in-laws considered venting? Or is it simply redundant? Anyhow, my in-laws bough both of SIL houses, I mean really simply bough it. They are ok financially, couple of days ago my wife ask for help with our move, we found a house we like and decided it is good time to move. Not only they said “no”, they did not even bother to ask what kind of help we need. And I can tell you we were not expecting them to buy house for, just needed some help with down payment.
It qualifies for this thread !

Been in your situation .. have 2 sisters that got anything they did or did not want and never a problem. One time I asked for a bit of help and was shut down before I even got to finish asking. Never did understand it, the upset I went through finally got me to a point where I just turned off the care button.

Sorry you are going through this .. it's not fair and it's not a good feeling you are left with.

Good luck with your house !
Old 06-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #3524
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post

It qualifies for this thread !

Been in your situation .. have 2 sisters that got anything they did or did not want and never a problem. One time I asked for a bit of help and was shut down before I even got to finish asking. Never did understand it, the upset I went through finally got me to a point where I just turned off the care button.

Sorry you are going through this .. it's not fair and it's not a good feeling you are left with.

Good luck with your house !
I had a grandmother that was the same way. She bought my cousin a car, a week later I asked her for $200 to pay my car payment because I was unemployed and needed a car to find a job since I lived so rural and was shut down. Crazy thing is, I was the only grandchild that would have paid her back. I was also the only grandchild that did anything for her. I cleaned out an attached shed and cleaned her house on a regular basis because she had a few mobility problems and she hated to clean. Add to that she had a lot of money and she wouldn't have missed $200. My cousins wondered why I didn't have as strong of a bond with her, but my entire childhood was like this always wondered why she treated me differently.

I made that car payment doing any odd job I could find and was proud of myself.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 03:58 AM   #3525
Master Chef

Geez Charlie, how much of a black sheep are you? Just kidding! Consider their shortsightedness their own loss. Good luck with your house purchase. Hope everything works out just fine. And when you move in and settle down make the first move and invite them over for dinner. Like the old saying goes, kill them with kindness. And be sure to somehow sneakily include a food that will give them hives.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #3526
Master Chef

Vent here: *#@)!!* bed legs! I think I either broke a toe or pulled a muscle component like a ligament. Left foot hurts like holy heck.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #3527
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Vent here: *#@)!!* bed legs! I think I either broke a toe or pulled a muscle component like a ligament. Left foot hurts like holy heck.

The day my Podiatrist told me that older people need to wear shoes or slippers at all times hurt me much worse than stubbing my toe ever did!

To think I paid for that advice!
Old 06-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #3528
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well that is a silly thing to do. You are old enough to know better. If the toe is turning mark and blue black (childrenese language) then you broke it. Have you considered having it looked at? Or is that a silly question?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #3529
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Well that is a silly thing to do. You are old enough to know better. If the toe is turning mark and blue black (childrenese language) then you broke it. Have you considered having it looked at? Or is that a silly question?
Oh, like I did it on PURPOSE Addie? Have had this frame since I was 16, solid maple, and do this every once in awhile. This one really hurt though. But no bruising yet (been about 4 or 5 hours) and I'm able to flex the toes OK now. Down steps is OK, up steps not so much.

Not much a doc can do. I think the bones are OK, probably pulled on a muscle thingy. And, of course, right now we are in Health Care Limbo. Himself's COBRA ended 5-31. He submitted an application for the plan that charges you based on your income, since he's not working right now. Almost $1400 a month for the two of us for any other plan is crazy when the income based plan should cost about $200. Thing is our application has been "approved" but that is only to process it. With our luck I'd go to the doc (which we have to change because our own doc isn't in the plan and they pay nothing for an office visit) or the ER and end up spending a couple thousand for the ER visit. At least now I have a reason to be lazy - even though the thing I hate the most is sitting around and doing nothing.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:49 PM   #3530
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh, like I did it on PURPOSE Addie? Have had this frame since I was 16, solid maple, and do this every once in awhile. This one really hurt though. But no bruising yet (been about 4 or 5 hours) and I'm able to flex the toes OK now. Down steps is OK, up steps not so much.

Not much a doc can do. I think the bones are OK, probably pulled on a muscle thingy. And, of course, right now we are in Health Care Limbo. Himself's COBRA ended 5-31. He submitted an application for the plan that charges you based on your income, since he's not working right now. Almost $1400 a month for the two of us for any other plan is crazy when the income based plan should cost about $200. Thing is our application has been "approved" but that is only to process it. With our luck I'd go to the doc (which we have to change because our own doc isn't in the plan and they pay nothing for an office visit) or the ER and end up spending a couple thousand for the ER visit. At least now I have a reason to be lazy - even though the thing I hate the most is sitting around and doing nothing.
It is the quickest way to get out of work you don't want to do. Ask any of my kids. They had it down to an art.