"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-10-2013, 01:08 PM   #3701
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I agree!

I would rather have a broken heart because I chose to help a child than have one because I didn't.
Yes! This.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #3702
Master Chef

I vote for taking the chance Toffi. Both of you and the child will benefit so much from being together, whether it is for a year or a lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would rather have a broken heart because I chose to help a child than have one because I didn't.
Well-said Aunt Bea! Like the old saying "better to have love and lost than to never have loved at all". Good luck Toffi!

Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #3703
Proud American

Please do this, Toffi! I am adopted. I was very sick for a long time but I am well now. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Now I forgot what I wished to vent about. Oh, it doesn't matter now.

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #3704
Everymom

Toffiffeezz, are you going public or private? I know its terribly frustrating, but give it a go. You can try looking up RAD and telling the judge that it could impair bonding if you can't shorten the time, or eliminate it altogether. Worth a shot anyway.

PM me. You likely know more than I do about the adoption process, but I've got a friend here in Edmonton who works with adoptive families and she may be able to provide some resources for you in Calgary. Meanwhile, HUGS! You are an amazing person for wanting to adopt.

My vent is minor...my joints are all sore from being tossed about the last two days. Waaaaaa! :(
Old 12-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #3705
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
Please do this, Toffi! I am adopted. I was very sick for a long time but I am well now. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Now I forgot what I wished to vent about. Oh, it doesn't matter now. With love, ~Cat
Hi Cat, I actually thought about you with this situation. It helped us make the decision we did. Every child deserves to be wanted and loved, even if it is for only a short time.

Cat, Alix, Aunt Bea, taxy, CG, Dawg, and Addie, I appreciate your thoughts and input. This has been a difficult decision, but we've made one. We contacted our worker tonight, and said we will proceed forward.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:06 AM   #3706
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffiffeezz View Post
Hi Cat, I actually thought about you with this situation. It helped us make the decision we did. Every child deserves to be wanted and loved, even if it is for only a short time.

Cat, Alix, Aunt Bea, taxy, CG, Dawg, and Addie, I appreciate your thoughts and input. This has been a difficult decision, but we've made one. We contacted our worker tonight, and said we will proceed forward.
Oh I thank you so very, very much! This brings such grateful tears to me. I'm so happy you will go forward of this! Please let us know of all you are doing with this. Please share everything with us!

I'm very humbled that you thought of me. Thank you so very much for this. I had tears for this also.

Toffiffeezz, you, your family, and this precious new one will always be in my thoughts and prayers. We are all here for you, you see.

Please tell us of your progress. I'll be looking for your messages.

With love,
~Cat
Old 12-13-2013, 07:37 AM   #3707
Chef Extraordinaire

See Cat, Mama Cat and Papa Cat? Now you can understand how we feel about adoption here in North America. Every child should be loved. It should be a law.

Toffi and her husband are willing to start from the beginning with all the risks involved to find a child that can come into their lives. When they first meet that child, there will be instant unconditional love there. There will be support from all directions to help them through the process. That help is there because everyone cares that every child is loved and wanted. Just like you were Cat.

Good luck Toffi. Please do keep us informed. We all are wishing and praying for the very best for you and your husband.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:27 AM   #3708
Master Chef

Needed some time in my Happy Place

My complaints are usually of the "petty" variety, but this one has me really steamed.

Wait, what, what am I doing here? Shouldn't I be sleeping so we can leave for OH tomorrow? Well, grab some wine because I'm gonna whine:

I have tried repeatedly to sign up for health care that starts Jan. 1. No matter which way I've tried to navigate the site I kept hitting a wall. Because I checked all the plans without signing in I know exactly what I want, who I want it from, and how much it will cost. Tried to do an end-around today. When I went to the Fallon website you have the option to apply through a 3rd party, ehealthinsurance.com. Long story short, they can help only those going through the national website. If you have a state connector (MA does) you have to go through the state's website. The one I've been trying to use for over a month! So...on my 2nd "down" I call Fallon directly. Unfortunately, they can sign up only applicants who are buying "Senior Care", the plan for those 65 and up. For the last month I WISH I was 65! Pretty sure I can't claim that age though, even though this process of getting health care has aged me about 3 years. "Andrea", my new best friend and the rep I spoke with at Fallon, said my only recourse was to (wait for it)...go through the state's health connector! At least this time I was trying to do all this during business hours. In the past I was working on it at night since the traffic on the website was expected to be lighter and it would be easier. Harrumph! On "down" 3, I call the health connector, only to find out the reason I kept getting error messages whenever I was online was because the site could not verify my existence. Huh? MA found me for jury duty! I have to submit a copy of my driver's license, either mail, fax, or in person. Man, if they had told me THAT's why they couldn't continue online, when I got some strange error code that, to Himself (AKA "Mr. Microchip", my tech support extraordinaire) appeared to be a coding error, I could have mailed that copy of my license over a month ago! Instead, to be sure that everything is in order, we will drive the 16 miles to the temporary office and get in line with the great masses that also just learned about why they kept getting error messages.

Plan on leaving for OH Saturday. Unless we're still in line.

Hope I have coverage that has taken effect before I stroke out!

Thanks for listening. I'll play a little longer, then hit the bed. Hope it doesn't hit back.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #3709
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am so sorry for the insurance woes that people are going through.

You should have checked out a book from the library, CG and not returned it. They could have found you then!
Old 12-21-2013, 01:21 AM   #3710
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am so sorry for the insurance woes that people are going through.

You should have checked out a book from the library, CG and not returned it. They could have found you then!