"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2014, 01:00 AM   #4051
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
When Poo was old enough as a teenager, he took the full course in CPR. Past the basics. That part was attended mostly by people in the medical field. One of the evenings in class during the second part of the course, the instructor covered the emotional part of a heart attack. She told the class that one of the first questions people ask after a HA was, "Can I still have sexual relations with my spouse?" Other questions were also covered. He never forgot what he learned in that class. That class was where he realized and found out about the difference between men and women having a HA.

Even today, when a woman comes into his ER with a HA, young women are worried about who is home taking care of her family. Even during the time their HA is happening, they are worried who is going to get the kids off to school in the morning. Thereby placing more stress on themselves. Very seldom does a man take a day off from work to stay home with a sick child. A lot of men never use up all their vacation time. So when they have a HA, they know they have the time to be sick.

Women have to be more active in their care when they have had a HA. We have to be taught to let go and allow others to take care of us.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #4052
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
When Poo was old enough as a teenager, he took the full course in CPR. Past the basics. That part was attended mostly by people in the medical field. One of the evenings in class during the second part of the course, the instructor covered the emotional part of a heart attack. She told the class that one of the first questions people ask after a HA was, "Can I still have sexual relations with my spouse?" Other questions were also covered. He never forgot what he learned in that class. That class was where he realized and found out about the difference between men and women having a HA.

Even today, when a woman comes into his ER with a HA, young women are worried about who is home taking care of her family. Even during the time their HA is happening, they are worried who is going to get the kids off to school in the morning. Thereby placing more stress on themselves. Very seldom does a man take a day off from work to stay home with a sick child. A lot of men never use up all their vacation time. So when they have a HA, they know they have the time to be sick.

Women have to be more active in their care when they have had a HA. We have to be taught to let go and allow others to take care of us.
So I am doubly cursed as a female and a nurse...whose going to take care of MY patients...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 AM   #4053
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
Addie, I think today, with most women working outside the home, child care and household chores are shared between the wife and husband. Women are insisting on it. Right this minute, I can't even think of anyone I know personally who is a stay-at-home mom. When we had to pick my grandson up from daycare, we saw many fathers dropping kids off and picking them up. It's becoming the norm.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM   #4054
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, I think today, with most women working outside the home, child care and household chores are shared between the wife and husband. Women are insisting on it. Right this minute, I can't even think of anyone I know personally who is a stay-at-home mom. When we had to pick my grandson up from daycare, we saw many fathers dropping kids off and picking them up. It's becoming the norm.
My wife has been a stay-at-home mom since the day we were married, even though we didn't have children until about ten months later. She is still a housewife though I do the cooking, the dishes, the snow shoveling, the gardening, any home fixes that have to be made, and I work 8 hours a day at work. Couple that with my projects, like church activities, novel writing, fly tying, chocolate bunny making, creating new recipes, and fixing the car when it brakes.

I have been doing this since long before husbands helped significantly around the house.

It's hard to find time to go fishing.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #4055
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, I think today, with most women working outside the home, child care and household chores are shared between the wife and husband. Women are insisting on it. Right this minute, I can't even think of anyone I know personally who is a stay-at-home mom. When we had to pick my grandson up from daycare, we saw many fathers dropping kids off and picking them up. It's becoming the norm.
Boston is having a surge in mother's staying at home again. They are willing to do without all those doo dads that the neighbors have. They are lowering their standard of living in order to spend more time with their children. Instead of spending big bucks on that swing set in the back yard, they are taking their toddlers to the park and to the library for "kids hour." They have realized that they miss out on all those "firsts". First steps, first real words spoken, first tooth coming in, etc. The only time I went to work was when my husband was sick for an extended time. I made arrangements with my sister for child care and got any job I could find. But the day he returned to work, is the day I would quit.

There is a town right next to Cambridge called Arlington. When I worked there for the church, all year round you would see mothers galore pushing baby strollers and heading for the park or library. Sometimes there would two or three going together. Not since I was a young mother myself have I seen so many mothers pushing a stroller. No jumping in the car for them to make a quick run to the store. There was a sewing/knitting store just a couple of doors from the church. I used to go in there to get my threads. In the back, they had a playroom and caretaker for the mothers that would meet there everyday. Babies learned to socialize and mothers got a short break from childcare.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #4056
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,259
All my married life (especially since the kids were born in 1980) I' said I want a wife. I need a wife to pick up half the stuff I do. Today, I've changed my mind. Today I decided I want a "Chief" of my own...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
... I do the cooking, the dishes, the snow shoveling, the gardening, any home fixes that have to be made, and I work 8 hours a day at work. Couple that with my projects, like church activities, novel writing, fly tying, chocolate bunny making, creating new recipes, and fixing the car when it brakes....
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #4057
Master Chef
 
Chief Longwind Of The North's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: USA,Michigan
Posts: 9,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
All my married life (especially since the kids were born in 1980) I' said I want a wife. I need a wife to pick up half the stuff I do. Today, I've changed my mind. Today I decided I want a "Chief" of my own...
Sorry; I'm already taken by the woman I love.

Seeeeeya'; Chief Longwind of the North
__________________
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 PM   #4058
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, I think today, with most women working outside the home, child care and household chores are shared between the wife and husband. Women are insisting on it. Right this minute, I can't even think of anyone I know personally who is a stay-at-home mom. When we had to pick my grandson up from daycare, we saw many fathers dropping kids off and picking them up. It's becoming the norm.
Don't you believe it. Fathers picking up children means very little when held against the no-go areas of housekeeping and childcare. Most of the women I know of all ages are the first in line of responsibility when it comes to the daily chores of life even when they work full time.

In the UK paternity leave is allowed when a baby is born. Statistically, very few fathers take it.

I was lucky, my dad helped out with all the housework because my mother worked and when he retired and mum was still working he took over the housekeeping completely. He cooked, washed up, vacuumed and dusted, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Loading the washing machine was not an alien concept to him and he even did the ironing. And in and between he made beer.

However, he was the exception which proves the rule.
__________________
Don’t look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #4059
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 3,029
I guess I must associate with a different breed of people, because most of the couples I know, especially the younger ones, share household and child care duties. The only ones I know who don't are the older ones, 60 and over who are holdovers from the 50's. My husband does more around the house than I do.
__________________
CarolPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 PM   #4060
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Don't you believe it. Fathers picking up children means very little when held against the no-go areas of housekeeping and childcare. Most of the women I know of all ages are the first in line of responsibility when it comes to the daily chores of life even when they work full time.

In the UK paternity leave is allowed when a baby is born. Statistically, very few fathers take it.

I was lucky, my dad helped out with all the housework because my mother worked and when he retired and mum was still working he took over the housekeeping completely. He cooked, washed up, vacuumed and dusted, cleaned the kitchen and bathroom. Loading the washing machine was not an alien concept to him and he even did the ironing. And in and between he made beer.

However, he was the exception which proves the rule.
I was waiting for someone else to speak up before I got brave enough to post because I truly didn't know if the new(er) generations have really broken the chain. I do see a lot of men wheeling strollers and having a baby clamped like limpets to their chest now----- where I never saw that in my child-bearing days.

But do the majority of men really 'share' in the housekeeping chores now (for working women)?
__________________

__________________
cave76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.