"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-20-2014, 02:16 AM   #4081
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek thinks the bigger the trash can, the less he has to wander it outside...except I am the one doing the wandering.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:29 AM   #4082
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just took some trash out, the top of the dumpster is at chin level to me. I just cannot lift things that are 40-50 lbs up to shoulder height anymore without pain.
PF, I can't lift 40-50 lbs to knee level! Not because of pain, just because of loss of strength. I have trouble with a gallon of milk, especially when it's full. I want to start buying half gallons but DH said they cost more that way. @@@ Instead, we end up dumping some out because we don't use enough to be using the whole gallon.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:32 AM   #4083
Executive Chef

Addie - How many years ago did you have your heart surgery? Mine was in 2008 and my sternum healed well. I have no problem with it at all. I have heard of other people who do, though.

Vacuuming was on my list of things I was not permitted to do after my surgery, so DH took it up. That was only supposed to be during my recovery period, but 6 years later he's still doing it. Now that he's sick I've been doing it, and I had to ask him how to empty it. Last time I did it we still used bags. LOL
Old 04-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #4084
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Love my Roomba! Addie, not sure what you mean by "upkeep" of the machine. Mine has been running 5 days a week vacuuming at least 2000 sq ft., since I got it (Christmas 2012). I have yet to even change the edge brushes (it comes with extras). Just dump the dust collector every few days and clean the brushes periodically(I've done it once) Mind you, it is only cleaning hardwood and tile right now, but the first year I did have a 5x7 area rug in the living room (still no issues). The biggest issue is that you must keep small items off the floor. Sometimes it bumps things a little hard
(I have a telephone table with a shelf about 8 inches off the floor, I had a "yellow pages" book on that shelf it got bumped off and run over a few times several pages were partially "eaten", lol! We have Ekornes Stressless chairs with foot stools, we move the foot stools up on to the chairs every couple of days, so "Rosie" can vacuum under them (we often eat in the LR "gasp"! Attachment 21116
"Rosie's" home.
Thanks, you just answered all my questions about her. Love your name for her. (The Jetsons) When I was looking at them in Amazon, I noticed all the parts that you could replace if and when they broke down. That was what I was questioning.

I will have to pickup the wastebaskets. I can just see them being tipped over and all the contents being dumped out. I will have to also put my scooter in the bathroom. Even though it doesn't come right down to the floor, it is still low enough that it might get caught under there. Looking around my room, I don't see any other problem it might have.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #4085
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I want to start buying half gallons but DH said they cost more that way. @@@ Instead, we end up dumping some out because we don't use enough to be using the whole gallon.
Could you start buying the gallons and then use what MIGHT be left over in a recipe? There are many recipes that use milk, like chicken baked in milk or many yummy desserts like rice or tapioca pudding. (Those aren't the only ones, of course)

That might be one way around it but it would mean more work on your part.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 AM   #4086
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie - How many years ago did you have your heart surgery? Mine was in 2008 and my sternum healed well. I have no problem with it at all. I have heard of other people who do, though.

Vacuuming was on my list of things I was not permitted to do after my surgery, so DH took it up. That was only supposed to be during my recovery period, but 6 years later he's still doing it. Now that he's sick I've been doing it, and I had to ask him how to empty it. Last time I did it we still used bags. LOL
It has been 11 years since my surgery. I was back at work during my fourth week. I was going out of my mind "resting." So I went back without letting the doctor know until I saw him after my eighth week. I am every doctor's worst nightmare. I do not have the patience to be sick.
Old 06-05-2014, 12:24 PM   #4087
Certified Cake Maniac

Wow, nobody has had to vent in awhile - that's great!

Unfortunately I have to break that streak. Our province is going through a tough time with teachers. The government and the union are not getting anywhere and there have been rotating lockouts and walkouts.

The ones who are really getting hurt in this whole thing are the high school students who want to get their grades so they can go on after graduation. So, yesterday, which was the only day of the week teachers weren't out somewhere, the students set up their own walk out via Facebook. They didn't go to school and instead picketed with signs saying "We matter too" and "where do we fit in all of this"?, etc.

Well the students are getting slammed for their actions. The press and much of the public are saying they just wanted another day off, they are making matters worse, if they are worried about the school they are missing why didn't they take advantage of the one day they could all be in class.

I agree with the students. All of the ones interviewed were very sincere and worried about their cause. Yes, I am sure there were many who just used it as an excuse not to go, but that's going to happen anyway.

Now there is talk of a full out strike next week, right when the high school students are writing finals.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the teacher's position here, but I am also on the side of the students.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #4088
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Wow, nobody has had to vent in awhile - that's great!

Unfortunately I have to break that streak. Our province is going through a tough time with teachers. The government and the union are not getting anywhere and there have been rotating lockouts and walkouts.

The ones who are really getting hurt in this whole thing are the high school students who want to get their grades so they can go on after graduation. So, yesterday, which was the only day of the week teachers weren't out somewhere, the students set up their own walk out via Facebook. They didn't go to school and instead picketed with signs saying "We matter too" and "where do we fit in all of this"?, etc.

Well the students are getting slammed for their actions. The press and much of the public are saying they just wanted another day off, they are making matters worse, if they are worried about the school they are missing why didn't they take advantage of the one day they could all be in class.

I agree with the students. All of the ones interviewed were very sincere and worried about their cause. Yes, I am sure there were many who just used it as an excuse not to go, but that's going to happen anyway.

Now there is talk of a full out strike next week, right when the high school students are writing finals.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the teacher's position here, but I am also on the side of the students.
I am more and more becoming fed up with the whole "money rules everything" idea. I wish we could just abolish the stuff, and everyone put in an honest day's labor, then swap their produced goods for someone elses produced goods. To have to compete with every living soul on the planet just seems to me to be a ridiculous idea. How great would it be if we all decided to work together. How great would it be to be able to eliminate greed. Make no mistake about it; it's the desire to obtain an easy living that drives strikes and unrest. I'm not saying that the teachers are greedy, or that the government is in the wrong. I don't know who is the primary villain. I just know that someone wants more at the expense of the students.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #4089
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I am more and more becoming fed up with the whole "money rules everything" idea. I wish we could just abolish the stuff, and everyone put in an honest day's labor, then swap their produced goods for someone elses produced goods. To have to compete with every living soul on the planet just seems to me to be a ridiculous idea. How great would it be if we all decided to work together. How great would it be to be able to eliminate greed. Make no mistake about it; it's the desire to obtain an easy living that drives strikes and unrest. I'm not saying that the teachers are greedy, or that the government is in the wrong. I don't know who is the primary villain. I just know that someone wants more at the expense of the students.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
What HAVE you been smoking????
Old 06-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #4090
Sous Chef

I'm getting really annoyed at a neighbor's dogs, who bark incessantly. I'm seriously thinking of duct tape.