"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #4191
Executive Chef

My step-daughter has a terrible habit of asking people how much they paid for things. When she was a teen I berated her for that all the time. She says she wants to know, so she asks! LOL I told her to ask where they got it, then go there and see what it cost. She also asks people how much they make. Grrrrrr She's 46...old enough to know better.

Come to think of it, my MIL did both of those things, too.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #4192
Executive Chef

DH butts into his kids business all the time. It's very irritating. They are no longer children. Some things I tell them not to tell him because he will harp on it forever. Sometimes they ask for his advice, and then he will say "Oh, do what you want!!" LOL

Old 06-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #4193
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairygirl69 View Post
Exactly! And I'm a diabetic so cooking from scratch with high quality ingredients is one way I keep my blood sugar in check! ��
Let her know that poor health practices are more costly.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:11 PM   #4194
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Let her know that poor health practices are more costly.
And dangerous to your health.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM   #4195
Executive Chef

There are a lot of things that I enjoy making that are a lot more work than buying in a store. Home made tortilla chips are one. I like to cut up leftover tortillas, spray with Pam and salt, and bake in the oven. A friend asked why I would do that when you can walk into any store and buy them in a bag? It's just something I like to do. And I like to make my own Hummus. One time I went to a get together at my son's and they had Hummus. I stupidly asked "Who made the Hummus?" and my DIL picked up the carton and read off the brand name. LOL
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM   #4196
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear you Carol on that one. I like to bake cakes. I suppose I could use a box, but I like baking. It takes time and I certainly have plenty of that. Grant you, I can't eat any of it, but I enjoy seeing others eating it. It always taste better than a box. One time when I made a box cake, one of my kids told me that it tasted like the box. I considered that a compliment.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #4197
Master Chef

I make my own liver pate's. I was at friend's home with DW a couple of years back, for our annual New Year's celebration. I'd already made my own chicken liver pate, all smooth and silky, with a touch of ginger to give it a little something special. The lady of the house produced two cans of store bought pate, not knowing that I had made my own. She had a big grin on her face, expecting something wonderful. We both tried the canned pate and both thought that they were disgusting. She was very happy that I'd brought my home-made version. It tasted very good and saved the night.

Do I think there are good pate's available commercially, yes, but probably not in local grocery stores. And I've never, ever had a slice of cheesecake from a restaurant, or store that can compare with home made either.

Besides, I take great care making whatever it is that I'm making, and am thrilled when I meat my goal. Sometimes home made comes out extraordinary, sometimes the dog wouldn't eat it. But the process of making it is just as fun to me as is eating the successful experiments.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 03:59 PM   #4198
Chef Extraordinaire

My family has two ultra favorite cheesecakes. The first one the Chocolate Chip Cheesecake from Eagle Brand condensed milk. The second one is the Pumpkin with a Ginger Snap crust. They have had both in restaurants and from this day forward, only will eat Mom's. Every Christmas and Thanksgiving they get their wish. Pumpkin for Thanksgiving and the CCC for Christmas. The only problem is have to make a small one at Christmas. It is so rich that anyone who has tried it can only eat a very thin slice. So a small one can feed everyone around except me.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:17 PM   #4199
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
My step-daughter has a terrible habit of asking people how much they paid for things. When she was a teen I berated her for that all the time. She says she wants to know, so she asks! LOL I told her to ask where they got it, then go there and see what it cost. She also asks people how much they make. Grrrrrr She's 46...old enough to know better.

Come to think of it, my MIL did both of those things, too.
I once over heard a woman ask another how much a gift she received cost.She wasn't being that polite about how she asked.It was more of a demanding tone.

The woman politely replied "I don't know.I was told it was purposely re gifted to me. What a thoughtful thing to do.I really needed that."

I guess she told her.She showed a lot of class.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:00 PM   #4200
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Chief, any tips on making homemade pate? I have made pork liver pate that came out wonderful and some that tasted a bit too cooked. Yes, I used a hot water bath in the oven. I guess it's the French influence, but I can get really good pate in the pre-packed deli section of just about any grocery store around here.