"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2015, 11:18 AM   #4331
Chef Extraordinaire

Shocked and saddened about the shooting of a reporter and cameraman in Roanoke, Virginia, live on the air this morning, by a former employee of the TV station. I guess I shouldn't be, since there have been so many shootings in the United States in recent years. So sad for their families, friends and colleagues.

It's especially horrible that the cameraman was a freshman at Virginia Tech when the massacre occurred there in 2007.

The suspect shot himself after being confronted by law enforcement officers. He's in critical condition.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:25 AM   #4332
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Shocked and saddened about the shooting of a reporter and cameraman in Roanoke, live on the air this morning, by a former employee of the TV station. I guess I shouldn't be, since there are so many shootings in the United States in recent years. So sad for their families, friends and colleagues.

It's especially horrible that the cameraman was a freshman at Virginia Tech when the massacre occurred there in 2007.

The suspect shot himself after being confronted by law enforcement officers. He's in critical condition.
I've been watching it being covered on the Today Show this morning and wondered if you "knew" them GG. Shocking indeed.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 AM   #4333
Chef Extraordinaire

No, Roanoke is about a five-hour drive from here. The details are just unimaginable. The shooter apparently posted his own videos on Twitter and Facebook (his accounts have been suspended). The cameraman was engaged to the woman who was producing the morning show, so she saw it happen. It's insane.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:52 AM   #4334
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Petty vent. I visited Pinterest.com to check out a recipe. It lets you check it out for 15 seconds, then brings up a big box requiring you to register. You're blocked from there on. Those sites are annoying as hell to me. When you get thru and register with FaceBook or some other auto log in, Pinterest floods your email box.
You can also log in with Twitter. I don't use twitter - don't ever plan to, either. So I made a dummy twitter account, and linked it to a free email account (***junkmail@gmail.com). I use the twitter account and the junkmail account to sign up for anything that I don't want in my email.

I never check them - never know how much stuff is in there - don't care. My real family/friends/associates have my real email.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #4335
Master Chef

Quote:
Petty vent. I visited Pinterest.com ... Those sites are annoying as hell to me. When you get thru and register with FaceBook or some other auto log in, Pinterest floods your email box.
I NeverNever sign in anywhere using Facebook (my only social account - don't do Instagram or anything else). FB has their tentacles in enough of my life; I don't need them linking to other's. I use my main email, set the preferences like GG said, and don't get slammed with junk mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
... I made a dummy twitter account, and linked it to a free email account (***junkmail@gmail.com). I use the twitter account and the junkmail account to sign up for anything that I don't want in my email.

I never check them - never know how much stuff is in there - don't care. My real family/friends/associates have my real email.
Genius, Silversage! But wait, how do you then find out the changes to their User Policy? You never know when they might sneak in something evil...
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:57 PM   #4336
Master Chef

Quote:
Shocked and saddened about the shooting of a reporter and cameraman in Roanoke, Virginia, live on the air this morning, by a former employee of the TV station...
That is sad and terrible, GG. I don't bother with the TV until the 5 PM news comes on, so I read this online a little earlier. So many angry ex-employees have done this over the years that it must make bosses very leery to cut anyone, no matter how bad their job performance is.
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #4337
Head Chef

Quote:
You can change the settings so they don't send you the notifications.
I'm talking about the initial pop up box when new to the site requiring you to register in order to continue reading that page (Adblock won't help). Stop following me around here.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:17 PM   #4338
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Stop following me around here.
Excuse me? What are you talking about?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:47 AM   #4339
Head Chef

My petty vent was about Google hit results. You go and check out that recipe on that site. Pinterest site lets new users hang there for a few seconds, then that site brings up a big grey square box wanting you to register and prevents you from going on. Pinterest is that kind of site. I'm venting I don't like sites like those. So, then I sign up using some form of social media. Immediately afterwards they flood my email box. Hey! I just dropped by that site to get a recipe. Other recipe sites are hassle free, no registration required.

I don't like sites that let you enter their site and browse for 20 seconds, then bring up a registration box in order to continue reading. That was my petty vent. Maybe Pinterest site is cool and worth signing up for, only...don't let me get into your site for half a minute (new to your site) and then block all further reading until I register. That bugs me.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 AM   #4340
Master Chef

Quote:
My petty vent was about Google hit results. You go and check out that recipe on that site. Pinterest site lets new users hang there for a few seconds, then that site brings up a big grey square box wanting you to register and prevents you from going on. Pinterest is that kind of site. I'm venting I don't like sites like those. So, then I sign up using some form of social media. Immediately afterwards they flood my email box. Hey! I just dropped by that site to get a recipe. Other recipe sites are hassle free, no registration required.

I don't like sites that let you enter their site and browse for 20 seconds, then bring up a registration box in order to continue reading. That was my petty vent. Maybe Pinterest site is cool and worth signing up for, only...don't let me get into your site for half a minute (new to your site) and then block all further reading until I register. That bugs me.
That bugs me too!

and another thing!!!!

I hate it when I want to watch a short news video and I have to sit through a commercial before the news item starts. It actually gives me a bad feeling about the item or cause that they are pitching!