Venting on a Happy Note

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad you are feeling better Snip. Those babies do grow up so fast .. savor the young times for soon they will be happy memories.

Might be that magic edible glitter that made you feel good !!

It was nine o'clock. I was crying hard, on the verge of a full-scale meltdown. I knew my sister next door wasn't home. My husband was at work, and it was past bed-time, way past bed time, but my daughters were playing in the living room while I fell apart because we'd just gotten home and I'd gotten bad news right as we walked in the door. I knew I needed to get them to bed but I couldn't figure out how to pull myself together. My almost-4-year-old was starting to pull toys out and my almost-2-year-old had gotten my keys and was trying to find somewhere to stick them. I was trying to get it together just enough to get them to bed, but knew they were overly tired and would fight me the whole way. Plus, I knew there was no way to explain to them why I was so upset. Suddenly, my older daughter looked at me, and seemed to really realize how upset I was. She put the toys down, walked over to me, touched my arm, and said "It's ok, Mommy. You can be sad. Will it help you feel better if I sing you a song?" I told her it would. As she walked across the room, my younger daughter walked over to me, handed me the keys she knew she wasn't supposed to have, said "Sowwy. Momma ky (cry)? Momma sad? Momma ok," and began patting my leg. She stayed there patting my leg as my older daughter walked across the room, picked up a book, stood on the aerobics step that's in our living room at the moment, and began singing "Twinkle Twinkle, Little Star," followed by the "Itsy Bitsy Spider," because she knew "it will make you feel better too, Momma." Then they both gave me hugs. We got ready for bed and they went to bed more easily than most nights. I am so blessed. I love these girls so much.

Last edited:
That is just so touching, Sprout! So glad your daughters are so perceptive, and that they understood. Hope you feel better soon!

Last edited:
Sprout, kids know. Just like your favorite pet knows, so do your children. And they will always be at your side with comfort. Hang on to those Twinkling Little Stars. They are called children. All those little children that are living with God are looking down on you and your children sending blessing after blessing. :angel: And one for each of your children :angel::angel:

sprout, just from my perspective, and i hoped you'ved learned from yours, it's ok or even good for your kids to see you sad, and then cope with it with their help.

you've created bonds that are far more reaching than can be put into words because now those bonds go both ways.

you're a good mommy. i hope the bad news has resolved itself, and you find strength in the fact that tomorrow is a brand new day, and your family is just that much stronger. :flowers:

sprout, just from my perspective, and i hoped you'ved learned from yours, it's ok or even good for your kids to see you sad, and then cope with it with their help.

you've created bonds that are far more reaching than can be put into words because now those bonds go both ways.

you're a good mommy. i hope the bad news has resolved itself, and you find strength in the fact that tomorrow is a brand new day, and your family is just that much stronger. :flowers:

Sprout, take a page from buckytom's book. He has it right. :angel:

Yay! I can park my car in the garage again. No more leaving it on the street to get scratched. Our street, which has been under construction for the past two months is nearly done. The sidewalks are done and all the paving is done. It looks good. They just have to fill in some soil next to the sidewalks and plant some grass on the soil. Well, I think that's all that's left.

And on another note, the inflammation in my right wrist seems to be almost gone.

I know, I've vented about how nauseous the medication I'm on makes me and how I've had no appetite, how my clothes no longer fit and I can't afford a new wardrobe...well, like others, I'm sure, I've had that pair of really skinny jeans in my drawer. These are white "Lee" jeans (never go out of style), however, I haven't worn these for a LONG time. I have pics of me on my honeymoon wearing them (1989). Well, I gotta run to the store and guess what I'm wearing...my white Lee jeans. Good thing I washed them a few weeks ago...I wish my friends from high school could see me now...not only do my earrings still fit, but so do a pair of jeans I wore way back when.

I know, I've vented about how nauseous the medication I'm on makes me and how I've had no appetite, how my clothes no longer fit and I can't afford a new wardrobe...well, like others, I'm sure, I've had that pair of really skinny jeans in my drawer. These are white "Lee" jeans (never go out of style), however, I haven't worn these for a LONG time. I have pics of me on my honeymoon wearing them (1989). Well, I gotta run to the store and guess what I'm wearing...my white Lee jeans. Good thing I washed them a few weeks ago...I wish my friends from high school could see me now...not only do my earrings still fit, but so do a pair of jeans I wore way back when.

You need to talk to the doctor about this medication, Quality of life is just as or more important as Quantity. There has to be a better medication for you. Worried about you!!

You need to talk to the doctor about this medication, Quality of life is just as or more important as Quantity. There has to be a better medication for you. Worried about you!!
Thanks, PF. I'm down to about 2-3 days / week where I'm not able to eat much (a little, but not a lot). This is much better than 5 / 7 on the other medication we tried. I'm working on moving the medication to evening (it is a time-released med and also puts me to sleep, so better that I take it at night rather than sleeping the afternoon away). This week is the transition week. The medication works well for me, but the side effects do not. I am very sensitive to medication so always have side effects. And, the nausea is not as bad as it was when I was taking it in the morning or when I was on the other drug we tried. The drug has worse side effects than nausea and drowsiness, so I'm lucky my bp is not spiking.

My doctor is well aware of the side effects and has been working with me. I take a gravol with it and that seems to help. I'm only queasy for about 2-3 hours instead of 7-8.

Last edited:
I'm down to about 2-3 days / week where I'm not able to eat much (a little, but not a lot). This is much better than 5 / 7 on the other medication we tried. I'm working on moving the medication to evening (it is a time-released med and also puts me to sleep, so better that I take it at night rather than sleeping the afternoon away). This week is the transition week. The medication works well for me, but the side effects do not. I am very sensitive to medication so always have side effects. And, the nausea is not as bad as it was when I was taking it in the morning or when I was on the other drug we tried.

My doctor is well aware of the side effects and has been working with me. I take a gravol with it and that seems to help. I'm only queasy for about 2-3 hours instead of 7-8.

Okay...had to look up gravol...dramamine. I'm glad it's working for you. Still worried about your weight loss...:ermm:

I'll probably gain it back once things stabilize.

I've been using an acupressure technique to reduce my constant nibbling for the last week. I'm back to three meals and 2 snacks a day instead of needing something to nom on all the time. I pinch my earlobes for 15 minutes a day...been working for me. It has reduced my appetite.:)

I've been using an acupressure technique to reduce my constant nibbling for the last week. I'm back to three meals and 2 snacks a day instead of needing something to nom on all the time. I pinch my earlobes for 15 minutes a day...been working for me. It has reduced my appetite.:)

Where can I find out more about this, I would love to have a flat stomach even if it means having bright red ear lobes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Where can I find out more about this, I would love to have a flat stomach even if it means having bright red ear lobes! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I read about it in a quick catalog blurb that was selling magnetic earrings that provide the acupressure. I decided I could do the same thing myself after reading that acupressure will work in as little as ten minutes a day. I'm not saying it has effected my weight (yet), but it has cut down on the constant nibbling. So, it is working for me as an appetite suppressant. It also works if I start wondering what would be good to munch on, I grab the earlobes and pinch. It takes away that urge to find something-anything to eat.

I read about it in a quick catalog blurb that was selling magnetic earrings that provide the acupressure. I decided I could do the same thing myself after reading that acupressure will work in as little as ten minutes a day. I'm not saying it has effected my weight (yet), but it has cut down on the constant nibbling. So, it is working for me as an appetite suppressant. It also works if I start wondering what would be good to munch on, I grab the earlobes and pinch. It takes away that urge to find something-anything to eat.

I think I am going to experiment with this.

I figure if I keep my hands on my earlobes I won't be able to get the refrigerator door open with my nose! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I am wondering if it is really acupressure or possibly behavior modification similar to wearing a rubber band on your wrist, that you snap, when you try to quit smoking.

Very interesting!

I think I am going to experiment with this.

I figure if I keep my hands on my earlobes I won't be able to get the refrigerator door open with my nose! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I am wondering if it is really acupressure or possibly behavior modification similar to wearing a rubber band on your wrist, that you snap, when you try to quit smoking.

Very interesting!

I believe it is both, because I certainly don't sit at work pinching my earlobes. I do this before I go to work. I repeat in the evening once I am home to reduce the fridge prowl. If I need some reinforcement at work, generally just a quick pinch of one earlobe can stop me from looking for a snack. And the office is stocked with chocolate and other candies...:pig:

I have never suffered from "fridge prowl." Since I have been eating a big breakfast, I don't have cravings. I probably have had the desire to snack 5 or 6 times since last June (June 2012) and have been able to nip it in the bud. Although, I have some fresh cherries that are calling my name...

Last edited:
I have never suffered from "fridge prowl." Since I have been eating a big breakfast, I don't have cravings. I probably have had the desire to snack 5 or 6 times since last June (June 2012) and have been able to nip it in the bud. Although, I have some fresh cherries that are calling my name...

I have a wonderful melange of medications that cause weight gain, on top of that, when I quit smoking I started nibbling. I'm working now on reducing some medications and trying to break that nibbling habit...if I find something that works, I'm going to glom onto it.

I have a wonderful melange of medications that cause weight gain, on top of that, when I quit smoking I started nibbling. I'm working now on reducing some medications and trying to break that nibbling habit...if I find something that works, I'm going to glom onto it.

I'm with you kid!

My nibbling is not about hunger it's about boredom. I do pretty well when I'm working on a project or surfing the net. If I'm in front of the tube I start getting the munchies.

If I got rid of the couch and the television I would probably drop another thirty pounds! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom