We are in New York Now!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OMG! Where else to NOT miss:

St. Pat's Cathedral - architecture

South Street Seaport - good eats & shopping

Washington Sq. Park - Greenwich Village - street
vendors galore! And great little cafes for excellent cappocino

Grand Central Station - architecture & people watch

Time Square/Madison Sq. Garden/ Rockefeller Center

Lincoln Center/Avery Fisher Hall

NY Public Library - the sheer size will awe you. Check out the cookbooks.

Metropolitan Museum of Art.

to name just a few.

So far we have only seen Manhattan as we drove through last night (we drove around a lot before finding a nice police officer who suggested we come to Brooklyn), and our hotel. We hope to see the Statue of Liberty and as many other things as we can fit in. I know now that we have to find Katz's Deli!
BARBARA: Your trip sound great. Please post pictures of the best things you did and saw when you get back. I missed the beginning of your trip, where are you headed or is this just a sight seeing trip?
We have been traveling since August 6th. A week with James's daughter in Ottumwa, a week in the Chicago area, then slowly toward this way. We have met 7 DC members so far on this trip (I posted about each visit separately, with pictures--Dave Hutchins, Michelemarie, middie, JoeV, pacanis, luvs, and Jake) and plan to see a few more. This has been the best vacation we have ever had!

:)Barbara

Welcome to NYC. You are in a good place for the sights that you want to see. I do not know how much time you have or your plans, but, here are some suggestions that may help.

Circle Line at the 42nd street pier will fix you up with a boat ride around Manhattan. They will also have a narative that will explain a lot of the history and a lot of info about the city.

Land based, you might like one of the doyble decker bus tours. They offer hop on hop off service. If you see something you like, just hop off? look around, then get back on.

The Staten Island Ferry is free, and goes back and forth regularly during weekdays. There are great views of Governor's Island, and the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island as you cruise back and forth...

Downtown here are some really old churches with churchyards attached, and the oldest cemetery in New York... The Museum of the American Indian is very interesting, too. It's down right near the Bull on Broadway.

I'll be flying back to Vegas next week then 14 of my friends and I will be flying to Boston and New York for 12 days.

Our stops in NY will be Katz's deli and Lombardi's Pizzaria, (the first Pizzaria in America). Notice it's about the food. Anything else we shouldn't miss?

Barbara hope you enjoy your stay. New York is a fabulous city. What is the best you've seen there??

Lombardi's Pizza is far from the best in New York, but there is no doubt that Katz's has the best Pastrami sandwiches probably in the whole US that can be had in 2008!
Anything else we shouldn't miss?
That all depends upon what things you love, and/or can't get back home. These days, Las Vegas has so many great restaurants, that's probably hard to say... maybe soup dumplings in Chinatown??? We love the ones at Shanghai Cuisine on Bayard and Mulberry. They have crab dumplings!

i just spoke to james!!!!!

they are on their way up here this afternoon, so i can show them around the cbs broadcast center.

can't wait!!!!

Wow you guys are really getting around !! I'm so glad you guys have this opportunity. It's a vacation you truly will never forget.

You're right about that middie! We could never forget this wonderful vacation!

It was so interesting tonight. James had cut his finger on something when he reached into the trunk of the car. Just a tiny cut, but with what I went through with cellulitis, he wanted to make sure to keep it clean, so when he called room service to order some really expensive... I mean delicious (lol) desserts, he asked for a couple Band-Aids.

This guy comes to the door with the Band-Aids, and he was so concerned. He wanted to know if I was sure they didn't need to call an ambulance, and he wanted to know if he had brought enough (he brought about 5). Wow!

I wish we could always afford this kind of hotel! Everyone here goes out of their way to make sure we are happy.

We still haven't made it to Katz's Deli. I have been in the mood for Mexican, so we went to a little Tex-Mex place on 9th. I've had better, but it was still really good, especially the tacos. The portions were huge.

Sight-seeing tomorrow.

Whats nice is that school started for the kids yesterday, so the museum and things like that may ( i emphasize the words 'may' ) be less crowded then usual. Whats funny is that i live about an hour away from NYC all my life, and it is the city i go to least. I dont know why. Anyway, have fun.

We decided to add an extra day (again!) so we will be here until Friday afternoon. We are going on a cruise around Manhattan today, and maybe we will have time to see a couple other things.

Oh yeah, our hotel is across the street from the New York State Supreme Court.

Yikes, I have to comb my wet hair out, as we are supposed to be downstairs in 15 minutes (of course James is still in the shower!--he's just like my dad!).

Last edited:
barb, so great you guys got a vacation like yours. me & jake shoulda hopped in & travelled with you!!!
i woulda loved to spend more timewith yins, show you my beautiful neighborhood.
-luv, luvs

My home"town"....
I'm so jealous!!!
I want to go back so badly, it's been 15 years now.
Next time you're in Iowa I'm stowing away!!!!

If you could have fit with the clocks, the butter churn, and all the other yard sale/antique shop finds, you would have been welcome to come along!

I am so excited right now that I am beside myself! I have always wanted to see a Broadway show, and we are going to see Wicked tomorrow night! Center orchestra seats, Second row!

So far I have mostly posted pictures of our meetings with DC members. I plan to put together some galleries of pictures when we get home. I'm having too much fun right now and don't have the time to sort through them and label them!

Back
Top Bottom