"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #11291
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Chopper.
It's a 1911 Combat Commander. A Combat Commander was the first pistol I ever bought myself, then stupidly sold. This is my replacement kind of.
Here it is the end of last week after getting everything together (except the rear sight). It fired three flawless magazines the first time out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	18029  

Old 06-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #11292
Chef Extraordinaire

I just saw for the umpteenth time the ad from AARP for their sponsored medical insurance. The way it is worded is misleading. They make it sound like that unless you get their insurance you can't choose your own doctor or go to any hospital you want to. Soooo wrong. It is Medicare that tells you by law, that those are your rights. It has nothing to do with whether you belong to their organization or not. Even if you leave the country.

It is like the glucometers for the diabetic. Medicare pays 80% of the cost of the strips and glucometer. If you buy your supplies through a medical supply company, you still have to pay that last 20%. Unless you have a secondary insurance such as Medicaid or a private company.

For someone who is just coming into the Medicare system, these advertisements are misleading and ticks me off big time. They also drive me crazy.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #11293
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I just saw for the umpteenth time the ad from AARP for their sponsored medical insurance. The way it is worded is misleading. They make it sound like that unless you get their insurance you can't choose your own doctor or go to any hospital you want to. Soooo wrong. It is Medicare that tells you by law, that those are your rights. It has nothing to do with whether you belong to their organization or not. Even if you leave the country.

It is like the glucometers for the diabetic. Medicare pays 80% of the cost of the strips and glucometer. If you buy your supplies through a medical supply company, you still have to pay that last 20%. Unless you have a secondary insurance such as Medicaid or a private company.

For someone who is just coming into the Medicare system, these advertisements are misleading and ticks me off big time. They also drive me crazy.
Advertising is one of the things we are forced to put up with when a profession transforms itself into a commodity. I don't think it will get any better as it transitions from a commodity to a public utility.

Thieves, thieves, tramps and thieves!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM   #11294
Master Chef

Decided I've been sitting on my hiney long enough and am going to tidy up the bathroom so it's close to sparkly when company arrives. Later, all!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #11295
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

Sounds like you need to "just say no" to AARP...I did!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #11296
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Chopper.
They've become my favorite, too.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #11297
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks Chopper.
It's a 1911 Combat Commander. A Combat Commander was the first pistol I ever bought myself, then stupidly sold. This is my replacement kind of.
Here it is the end of last week after getting everything together (except the rear sight). It fired three flawless magazines the first time out
I love it! You will have to post a picture when you get it back.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #11298
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks Chopper.
Is that a boo boo on the lower left front (9 o'clock) of the slide [that holds the recoil spring plunger]?
Are there any concerns about the refinishing degrading the closeness of the slide to frame fit? Many, many moons ago; I bought a new 45ACP Colt Gold Cup for $125 at Emroe sporting goods. I put in a stiffer recoil spring and it was a tack driver with many lots of GI hardball ammo.
Wish I had a 4" Python instead of my clunky 6" Model 29. The high price of lead makes 157gr.38cal. reloading more affordable than the 230-240gr .44-.45 cals.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #11299
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Is that a boo boo on the lower left front (9 o'clock) of the slide [that holds the recoil spring plunger]?
Are there any concerns about the refinishing degrading the closeness of the slide to frame fit? Many, many moons ago; I bought a new 45ACP Colt Gold Cup for $125 at Emroe sporting goods. I put in a stiffer recoil spring and it was a tack driver with many lots of GI hardball ammo.
Wish I had a 4" Python instead of my clunky 6" Model 29. The high price of lead makes 157gr.38cal. reloading more affordable than the 230-240gr .44-.45 cals.
Since any Python these days goes for $2000 plus, I'll bet you wish you still had it, too. Been there, done that. What beautify finished revolvers they are. Smooth as silk. $350 was too much for me to spend back then duh.

That mark looks like some kind of scuff. That was close to the area I was practicing polishing as I was taking a break from building it last week, so it's tough to say how it got there. It came glass beaded, so any mark tended to stand out.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:08 PM   #11300
Chef Extraordinaire

going to grab a jacket & take the chiwawa, max, for a walk around the block