What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just called a taxi to take me to physiotherapy. I feel silly taking a taxi less than half a kilometre, but I got tired walking 0.3 km yesterday.

AndyM inspired me to get my turkey neck stock started. Now it's nicely bubbling away.

I'm about to have another bowl of Kathleen's Onion Soup.

Isn't a boreal mushroom just a mushroom that grows on a rotting tree trunk or forest floor, usually wild.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/forests/boreal/13077
That's what I thought too, Aunt Bea, but when I spoke to "my mushroom guy" he said that he'd have to call his suppliers to see if anyone has any. I spoke with another "mushroom guy" and he said that they didn't have any yet. Sent an email to the Chef...no response, yet. I am wondering if he means morel mushrooms...which are currently selling for $17.50/100 g and are sourced from Romania! Next "batch" will be from Oregon and won't be quite so pricey. $175.00/kg is wow, expensive. Glad I have my own little patch! They are almost worth their weight in gold...and won't be up for awhile (late May), if they come up this year. It depends on so many things--weather, moisture, etc.

Last edited:
That's what I thought too, Aunt Bea, but when I spoke to "my mushroom guy" he said that he'd have to call his suppliers to see if anyone has any. I spoke with another "mushroom guy" and he said that they didn't have any yet. Sent an email to the Chef...no response, yet. I am wondering if he means morel mushrooms...which are currently selling for $17.50/100 g and are sourced from Romania! Next "batch" will be from Oregon and won't be quite so pricey. $175.00/kg is wow, expensive. Glad I have my own little patch! They are almost worth their weight in gold...and won't be up for awhile (late May), if they come up this year. It depends on so many things--weather, moisture, etc.
Apparently, the one good thing about a tree getting Dutch elm disease is that there can easily be 20 kgs of morels growing under that tree the first year the tree is infected.

Right now counting my blessings and catching up on people here and praying for them. Been doing that for an hour or so.

I care about all of you!

Hugs and purrs to all!

Apparently, the one good thing about a tree getting Dutch elm disease is that there can easily be 20 kgs of morels growing under that tree the first year the tree is infected.
Old apple orchards are also supposedly good. My yard is not typical habitat for morels. I was quite surprised to have them pop up. My dad swears by looking under oak trees. A friend has them growing under her maple trees. No trees re: Dutch elm disease on this property. I'll have to check at the farm...

Had quite an unusual experience in Pret A Manger today. I don't know whether it was because (perhaps) it showed that I had been crying earlier (lost my PO card and went to pieces over it - perhaps due to mum being so close to death now). I placed a granola bar on the counter and asked for a tea.

To my astonishment, the member of staff on the till said there was no charge, i.e. that it was FREE!!! I was somewhat taken aback and asked why - he said it was my lucky day! I was pleased but unsure what to make of it. Was it legal? Was it his last day there? Part of an ongoing random act of kindness? Ever happened to anyone here?

Something similar happened to me once, creative. I had flown to California from the East Coast for my grandmother's memorial service, just over a weekend. As I checked in for the flight home, I wasn't feeling well (chronic illness and jet lag) and I'm sure I looked it. The agent told me I had been bumped into first class! I didn't think till later that it must have been because I didn't look well, but it certainly made the five-hour flight home much easier.

I like to think that he recognised you were feeling a bit fragile and acted accordingly , which is nice .

What's a PO card ?
Well not sure....someone has said that Pret A Manger do free drinks. However, that still does not account for the free granola bar.

Ah a Post Office account card.

Whoohoo!! Good luck, PF!

Love the hamster dance, I remember it from many years ago, and then it disappeared, and I couldn't find it.

Whoohoo!! Good luck, PF!

Love the hamster dance, I remember it from many years ago, and then it disappeared, and I couldn't find it.

It's a Roger Miller song "Whistle Stop" sped up into the Hamster Dance. The song comes from Disney's "Robin Hood".

Whoohoo!! Good luck, PF!

Good luck with the interview PF.

Yay, PF! Congrats and good luck :)

Good luck, PF!

Thanks all! Just got off the phone with Mom (1 hour, 39 minutes) and she offered to bus Dad up to help me with packing, loading and driving. Dad agreed that he would like to do it and Mom gets to sit home with the dog and cats...relaxing. Now we just have to wait for my phone interview and the DON of that facility sounded like she was VERY interested.

:angel: One for you!

PF, I have my eyes, fingers and even my legs crossed for you. And sending up a few prayers also. Now off to the outhouse. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom