What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Even if you don't like Ikea furniture, there's loads of other stuff. The kitchen department is definitely worth a visit. They have the best deal I have seen on white tea towels, with a red stripe on either side and nice big loops to hang them up. Good prices on candles and the little tea light candles. Some really nice candle holders too. I buy all my duvet covers there. Most reasonable price I have found and big selection.

Don't feel bad, it happens. You were just trying to be conversational and forgot the rules had changed. Stuff happens, you must have been quite relaxed to forget, that means you are feeling less stress. That is good for you!

Hey Mrs. Honey Badger, stop beating yourself up. We all make mistakes. You have been handed by God to perform a Herculean task that you were trained for in just a few short lessons. Listen to Nurse Princess. She deals with these problems every work day. A very wise person.

And remember, just because he is now home, doesn't mean our prayers have stopped for the both of you.

I was cleared by the surgeon today for "Activity as tolerated"...now I have to do yard work...

Stopped by Mom and Dad's...was in the back of the Subaru digging out a Milkbone for Jethro; I closed the hatch door, hitting myself in the face with the stupid door. Didn't break my glasses, but I have lovely scrapes and bruising. Brilliant...

Ouch!!! Sounds like some of the things I do to myself.

taxlady: I dont live far from original IKEA, I do like some of their stainless steal pots and pans. I have perk with living next to the original IKEA, they have store that sells things cheaper and also test object that didnt go to in to stores.

I've never been to Ikea. From what I've seen, it's not my style. Guess I'm not normal ;)

I'm not fond of their furniture, but storage and shelving units are pretty good deals and sturdy. You should see some of the hacks people have done with their basic bookshelves. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous.

We've been looking at dishes since our current set is getting a lot of chips and a couple of the plates have small surface cracks. We've been thinking about getting squarish plates/bowls instead of rounds and Ikea has a couple of nice sets we'll probably go look at. The big thing I don't like is that you have to go through the entire store. It's not set up like a normal department store. You have to follow a little path that meanders through the whole store and there aren't any shortcuts.

Restaurant Depot has a couple of nice designs but you have to buy so many. Dinner plates come in a dozen or 2 dozen, small plates and bowls come in 2 dozen. It would take us forever to use up those dishes considering that we've had these last ones for probably 7-8 years and we've still got 6 usable plates out of the original 8. We'd be long tired of looking at them (which is also pretty much the case with the set we have now) before they got used up.

I am sitting her playing on the computer listening to Juan Diego Florez sing one opera aria after another on YouTube. I would gladly sell the blood of a bat and the eye if a newt to be able to see a concert of his. At 6:45 a.m. I should still be sleeping.

:rolleyes: I'm not normal and almost none of my friends are. :LOL:

taxy! hope I'm part of the almost! on second thought, guess not... sigh...:(

Addie I was up at 5:45. Not complaining as it could have been 4:45. But still wish I was still snoring. It is STILL not light out, yech!

medtran I have a system I'm using now for dishes.
Buy only sets of 4.
Don't buy sets with saucers for the cups.
Don't pay over $40 for the set ($50 max if you really like them).
Buy a new set every time you get the blues. or
Buy a set of 4 place mats or napkins to match one of the above.

If you have 4 people at the table you have enough.
If you have 6 people at the table you use 3 & 3. .. etc.
If you have an odd nbr. that person has to eat alone in the kitchen.

and last but not least - never buy corelle or whatever it's called or the other one - they never break and you will be wishing for a sinkhole to dump them in when you can't stand to look at them anymore!

Last edited:
Ive never been to an IKEA. But my wife and I decided to go into a Bed Bath and Beyond. Well she decided to go in. I decided to join her because it was exactly zero degrees out side, in Sioux Falls South Dakota and I didn't want to wait in the car.

Now if they would have told me the the Beyond in Bed bath and beyond meant kitchen stuff I wold have beaten her to the door. I have a new favorite store that I cant go into because I would spend my pay check.

*** I have a new favorite store that I cant go into because I would spend my pay check.

Poor You! :ermm::LOL:

But look at it this way... think of the new Christmas List you can hand to the family that isn't a pair of socks, whitie tighties, wrench set, wire cutters or leather work gloves.

Chilly this morning. I didn't sleep much last night. I may take a nap before or after a TJ run (I need some baby spinach).

My DH hates Bed Bath and Beyond. I'm not allowed to shop in any store that does not have a tool or auto supplies department.

Last edited:
I just got our Chromecast installed on my new smartphone and I'm watching Chef John's Food Wishes cast from Netflix onto the TV.

We just got a Roku unit and are hoping to get rid of cable TV, but so far, we haven't figured out how to get all the networks we want for less money each month. A work in progress. Meanwhile, I started watching Downton Abbey last night ;) Yes, I'm late to the bandwagon :LOL:

On those occasions when SO wants to go to BB&B, she knows she can find me in the kitchen section.

But the really good places to kitchen shop are in the outlet malls where there are two or more different kitchen stores such as LeCrueset, Henckels, Williams-Sonoma, along with some less well-known stores.

Of course, restaurant supply stores are a whole different animal.

Having 1 more cup of coffee before I take on the job of defrosting the freezer in the garage.
Had to fight the ice accumulated on the racks just to put a small container of ice cream in it.:ermm:

It's what I get for letting it get out of hand.Lesson learned.:rolleyes:

I'm not fond of their furniture, but storage and shelving units are pretty good deals and sturdy. You should see some of the hacks people have done with their basic bookshelves. ABSOLUTELY gorgeous.

We've been looking at dishes since our current set is getting a lot of chips and a couple of the plates have small surface cracks. We've been thinking about getting squarish plates/bowls instead of rounds and Ikea has a couple of nice sets we'll probably go look at. The big thing I don't like is that you have to go through the entire store. It's not set up like a normal department store. You have to follow a little path that meanders through the whole store and there aren't any shortcuts.

Restaurant Depot has a couple of nice designs but you have to buy so many. Dinner plates come in a dozen or 2 dozen, small plates and bowls come in 2 dozen. It would take us forever to use up those dishes considering that we've had these last ones for probably 7-8 years and we've still got 6 usable plates out of the original 8. We'd be long tired of looking at them (which is also pretty much the case with the set we have now) before they got used up.

Try TJ Maxx or Ross Dress for Less for dishes. They have all kinds. Sometimes they have open stock sets so you can get just what you want in a small quantity. I usually pick up two of each of the open stock.

Last day of vacation, I guess I need to do some laundry, wash some dishes...all the real fun stuff I let go for the week.

...and last but not least - never buy corelle or whatever it's called or the other one - they never break and you will be wishing for a sinkhole to dump them in when you can't stand to look at them anymore!

I have to use Corelle. I rely on their toughness and light weight. I'm way to rough on dishes and it's not likely I'll change at this advanced age. Corelle is the only way I can survive in the kitchen. Besides, Walmart has open stock Corelle if I need to replace or get extras.

I still have Duralex dishes that I bought in the 70s. I'm delighted that they last this long. I'm missing a few, but I have replaced some of the missing small plates at second hand stores.

Back
Top Bottom