What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have Noritake stoneware I got back in the '80s. Indestructable. No chips, no breakage. It's plain and neutral looking, but works great in the microwave, oven, any heat source really. The pattern was discontinued many years ago.

medtran I have a system I'm using now for dishes.
Buy only sets of 4.
Don't buy sets with saucers for the cups.
Don't pay over $40 for the set ($50 max if you really like them).
Buy a new set every time you get the blues. or
Buy a set of 4 place mats or napkins to match one of the above.

If you have 4 people at the table you have enough.
If you have 6 people at the table you use 3 & 3. .. etc.
If you have an odd nbr. that person has to eat alone in the kitchen.

and last but not least - never buy corelle or whatever it's called or the other one - they never break and you will be wishing for a sinkhole to dump them in when you can't stand to look at them anymore!

I just bought a set of Corelle. Four dinner plates, four coffee mugs, four cereal bowls and that is it for me. It is all I need. I gave all my stoneware Weeping Willow dishes to the church. They just got to be too heavy for my arthritic hands. I am not sure what "the other one" is, but if I can lift it without have pain, then I am interested.

Just wanted to comment on IKEA....I've only been a couple of times, as the closest one is down in Burbank which is a good 3 hour drive from here. (and crazy traffic in Burbank :ohmy:) I went with my daughter who lives in Valencia a few years ago - we spent half the day there browsing around and picking up a few things. We took the grandsons - IKEA is very kid friendly and they have toy areas and tiny kitchens for the littles set up randomly throughout the store. They loved using the map and following the stamped arrows on the ground, pretending they were on a treasure hunt. :LOL:

Plus, the in-store restaurant serves some pretty darn good food.

Not crazy about their furniture either but as Taxy mentioned, they have lots of textiles, accent decorating items such as picture frames and candles, etc., for great prices. (Taxy - I have those tea towels you mentioned - white with red border stripes. Love them, they remind me of my grandma's kitchen...:))

I picked up a set of these stoneware dishes severals years back that I LOVE. I'm partial to plain white dishes, and the plates are a nice 11" wide which is great for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. $20 for an 18 piece set. The bowls are nice and deep and perfect for dips.

FÄRGRIK 18-piece dinnerware set - IKEA

For my dinners, I usually use either the 8" salad plates, or my white Corelle.

I am going to miss my salad plates. I can't remember the last time I ate from a full sized dinner plate. I don't know what size the Corelle dinner plates are. But they don't look much bigger than the salad plates I donated to the church for the Fall Fair.

The nearest Ikea to me is also about three hours away, just south of Washington, DC, whose traffic rivals LA's. We don't get up there very often. But I'll keep it in mind next time we go.

I'm not sure we even have an Ikea anywhere around here, unless there's one in Chicago or Minneapolis. Further than I want to drive. I tend to build my own shelves and small furniture. I'd probably spend too much time in the kitchen section, buying stuff I don't need.

Nice day here. I dug up my purple dracena, potted it, and brought it in. Sometimes they're hard to find in the spring at the garden centers, so I just save mine year to year. They make nice houseplants, though mine's looking a bit chewed up and ratty and I'll have to pick the fallen leaves out of it. I'm debating about my three huge, elderly and decrepit hibiscus, should I just toss them into the woods, or try to ressurect them for another year? They have about 5 leaves apiece, and are leggy and didn't bloom too well this summer. Not sure I want to spend much more time or energy on them.

Those couple of trips into an IKEA were fun, but I'd be perfectly happy if I didn't set foot into another one again. The traffic and parking alone was terrible, even if I wasn't the one driving and navigating. :wacko: If I see something online I want, it's just a click away. :)

I did some outside work today, too. Pulled up my tomato plants as they're done, but I'm still getting some nice jalapenos so I'm leaving those alone for as long as they'll last.

Been doing some inside cleaning too - mopped floors and washed windows. Watched a cheezy and predictable Lifetime movie this morning while I had my breakfast and coffee. :rolleyes::)

medtran49: All IKEA store have short cuts, you just need to find a map and you can find them. The first IKEA store was horrible to walk through, it was the smallest IKEA in the world and it had stairs and no short cuts and was really claustrophobic, it now a museum.

Cheryl J. that plate set is the same I have, I bought on the "wonky" section and that meant I filled a small bag with plates, I got 12 big ones and 12 small ones and 3 pizza plates ( use them as serving plates) for about 10 USD, for me that is a good price. They are not perfect but they are perfect for me.

Oh and Färgstark means colourful. Yes I can read what IKEAS stuff is named. Värdera = Value Strosa= Stroll around Arv= heritage Grovt= coarse Bullra = Noisy Mannagryn = Semolina / farina.

I have Noritake stoneware I got back in the '80s...
Our "new" dishes are over 10 years old, and just two each of the small square white and medium rectangle white that make regular appearances in my dinner thread photos. Got them at a World Market for about $4 each. Other than that, most of mine are older than our kids (35). I still use the flat soup/salad bowls that were my Mom's, and I remember them from our first house (pre-1958). A couple have small chips in the rim, but most are fine. Instead of beating on my dishes, I just take out my frustrations on Himself. :ohmy: Just Kidding! :LOL:

I have Noritake stoneware I got back in the '80s. Indestructable. No chips, no breakage. It's plain and neutral looking, but works great in the microwave, oven, any heat source really. The pattern was discontinued many years ago.
Which pattern did you get? Mine had lilies on it but I forget the actual name. I ended up leaving it with my ex. Even though I had bought it when I was on my own. It wasn't worth the hassle and I got the china from our wedding so that was better.

My fine china is a 100 years old and the everyday one was just bits and pieces of different sets and I wanted a matching one.

This is my fine china. Got a Wall mart. I forget the price. This is not my photo but its my china pattern.

Attachments

• 36-piece-john-deere-collectible-plate-cup-set-americanlisted_31140425.jpg
    36-piece-john-deere-collectible-plate-cup-set-americanlisted_31140425.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 92
Just made an appmt for Lil' Sophie to go to the vet.
Were suspecting she has an UTI infection. One too many (accidents around the house) It took us long enough(3 days) to figure out which one did the deed.
It was her.Right in front of me last night.:ermm::ohmy:
Mopping the kitchen floor at 9pm wasn't my idea of a good time.

I swear it never fails. Every time I clean the carpets one of the dogs gets sick.
I could only get her a late appmt at 4. So hubby will only be alone an hour on his own.Just hope he doesn't try to get up and do something and stays in bed instead. I'll make him dinner before I leave.His balance has been off to the point he's fallen in bed trying to get into it.The pillows were soft at least.:LOL:

I'll make a phone call to see if I can get someone here to watch him while I'm gone.

Munky Badger

Which pattern did you get? Mine had lilies on it but I forget the actual name. I ended up leaving it with my ex. Even though I had bought it when I was on my own. It wasn't worth the hassle and I got the china from our wedding so that was better.

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1477415891.385263.jpg. (Dinner plate and bowl. The mugs were all in the dishwasher.)

It's called Sunset Mesa. Very plain, but I like it.

Munky, sure hope you get Sophie all fixed up! Good luck!

Last edited:
DL - I remember that pattern - I was even considering it when I saw mine. Here is my pattern - a lousy picture from the web but I don't have any of my set.
il_340x270.1021584306_jjez.jpg

That's pretty, LP! Daisies. Sorry you no longer have it anymore.

Noritake contacted me years ago to tell me they were discontinuing my dishes, and if I needed a replacement, to request it then. I didn't need any replacements. This stuff could be run over by a steamroller and stomped on by a hippo and be just fine.

Last edited:
Pretty dishes, Dawg and Laurie.

CG....is that teen-age looking young lady actually you...? :ohmy::wub:

Farmer Jon....OMGosh, I love your John Deere dinnerware...that is SO perfect for you and your family! :)
Munky Badger...sending best wishes for little Sophie...sure hope she's OK.

Well, as for me....It's almost 10PM here now and I'm fixin' to head to the recliner and fall asleep in front of the TV before long. I have to be up at early-thirty to start my day. :) Nighty, all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom