"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #14951
Executive Chef

Our photo license center goes pretty fast. There isn't usually a line. We pay the fee ahead of time and they send us paperwork. We take that to the photo license center and get the picture taken and the permanent license is done within minutes and you are on your way. I received my paperwork that's good until January. I don't know if our center handles paying the fee if you forgot to renew. They probably do, but I have never forgotten, yet!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #14952
Certified Pretend Chef

Our RMV does not send out renewal notices. Five years ago, SO and I both forgot and renewed late.

This year SO was able to renew online and they just mailed her the license. I did that in the past but now that I've passed 65 YO, I have to go in every time. I had the option to keep the same photo or take a new one. I kept the old one.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #14953
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Our RMV does not send out renewal notices. Five years ago, SO and I both forgot and renewed late.

This year SO was able to renew online and they just mailed her the license. I did that in the past but now that I've passed 65 YO, I have to go in every time. I had the option to keep the same photo or take a new one. I kept the old one.

I always get a new picture because my hair color keeps changing. LOL When I go, I will see if they give me the option of keeping the old pic.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #14954
Head Chef

I'm tidying up loose papers - did some rearranging of my Medicare programs yesterday. I'm trying to make sure I wrote down all the pertinent names and numbers so I won't have to strain my brain if I should have to recreate the new setup later. Those phone ladies were so nice to work with -- makes headachey chores like this so much easier.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #14955
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Our photo license center goes pretty fast. There isn't usually a line. We pay the fee ahead of time and they send us paperwork. We take that to the photo license center and get the picture taken and the permanent license is done within minutes and you are on your way. I received my paperwork that's good until January. I don't know if our center handles paying the fee if you forgot to renew. They probably do, but I have never forgotten, yet!
They do not. You still need to mail it in, but sometimes your congressman can push it through faster if you take your renewal to his office.
I had mine expire when I moved. I did not know they will not forward your renewal to a new address and didn't know it had expired until I went to get a new cell phone a couple years later.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #14956
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...I did not know they will not forward your renewal to a new address and didn't know it had expired until I went to get a new cell phone a couple years later.

We found out when SO went to the bank and they asked for ID. They wouldn't accept her license since it had expired.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #14957
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Andy, what do they do then, mail you your real license?
PA issues you the real thing right there, complete with picture and whatever newfangled overlay they came up with since last time.
BTW, what is R? We call it DVM, Dept. of Motor Vehicles.
The "R" stands for Registry of Motor Vehicles. But when talking, we just call it "The Registry". Everyone knows what you mean.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM   #14958
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post

Having my daughter work at the headquarters of the Registry, she makes sure that they send me a new address label for the back of my ID. I got my ID before they put an expiration dates on them. So my ID will never expire. For the first time in my life, I actually like my picture on my ID.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:37 AM   #14959
Chef Extraordinaire

I think "The Registry" would make a good name for a Michael Douglas movie.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #14960
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh yes! It would be about all the horror stories of the drivers who go there to settle a problem and the nightmares they go through. I see him as the head and having all these problems dropped on his desk. It becomes his job to solve them.