"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 AM   #16961
Certified Cake Maniac

CG and PF, you are so right about "in the flesh" friends. However, most of my local friends live 20 minutes to a half hour away and have their own lives. Because in the winter I don't get out much on my own, I have to rely on them coming to me and we go out for Tim Horton's or Starbucks. I have my neighbour and her daughter who lives on the other side and they are great. The daughter helps me out around the house and I sometimes watch HER daughter who is 9, after school. Well I basically watch her playing with the animals, which is great for me.

But even my best friend we end up emailing more than talking or seeing each other. The time I took away from DC last year to concentrate on my "in the flesh" friends and family didn't prove very fruitful in that way and when I heard about Ma's (Kadesma) passing I was devestated and needed to be with the people who "knew" her. We had a good relationship even though we never met. We spoke on the phone, sent cards and letters, and acted like a real life mother and daughter. Yes, there is nothing better than real life, but I wouldn't sell virtual friendships short either!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 AM   #16962
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Well said LP.

A lot of my "in the flesh" friends are almost as virtual as you guys I "see" them on FaceBook lots more than in person. I live in the 'burbs and most of them live in the city. Very few have cars, so it's almost always up to me to visit them.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #16963
Chef Extraordinaire

One of my virtual friends has turned into an "in the flesh" friend. She lives in Georgia and I have spent several visits to her home during the holidays. Her father ( who I adore) always includes me in his Christmas letter to his family that still lives in Canada. They have no idea who I am, but to him I am 'family.' Every time I go down there, I know I am going to make that Hershey's Chocolate Cake for him. And if I am up to it, fresh baked cinnamon rolls for his breakfast the next morning. He is in his mid 90's and is willing to sleep on the couch so he can be there when the rolls come out of the oven in the morning.

One time when we all were at the cottage at the lake, he told me "Addie this is your chair." And he led me to the most comfortable chair in the room. My girlfriend told me later that, that chair was her mother's and he never lets anyone sit in it.

All this because we both just happened to belong to the old Food Network forum. When that closed down, we continued our friendship from a virtual to an "in flesh."
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #16964
Chef Extraordinaire

I just baked some banana bread muffins. I got out all the cold ingredients before making supper, so they could come to room temperature. I cracked the egg and it was one of the hard boiled ones. I had to use a cold one from the fridge. Then, I dumped the walnuts into the flour mix before chopping them. I had to fish them out of the flour and chop them. An awful lot of flour stuck to them. I also baked them a little bit too long, so some of them are kinda dark on the bottoms and sides. They still taste good.

I don't think I better try to do anything important. I also better remember to eat that hard boiled egg tomorrow. I wrapped it in cling wrap. At least I didn't burn myself on the oven or muffin tins.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #16965
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I just baked some banana bread muffins. I got out all the cold ingredients before making supper, so they could come to room temperature. I cracked the egg and it was one of the hard boiled ones. I had to use a cold one from the fridge. Then, I dumped the walnuts into the flour mix before chopping them. I had to fish them out of the flour and chop them. An awful lot of flour stuck to them. I also baked them a little bit too long, so some of them are kinda dark on the bottoms and sides. They still taste good.

I don't think I better try to do anything important. I also better remember to eat that hard boiled egg tomorrow. I wrapped it in cling wrap. At least I didn't burn myself on the oven or muffin tins.
You bake like I do, Taxy!
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #16966
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You bake like I do, Taxy!
That hard boiled egg was quite a surprise.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #16967
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Eating Sweet Maui Onion Rings (like Funyuns, but for grown-ups) and wondering if I should go into the doc tomorrow or wait till my appointment on Friday. I have an open area along my incision that should not be there, it stings.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:43 PM   #16968
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Eating Sweet Maui Onion Rings (like Funyuns, but for grown-ups) and wondering if I should go into the doc tomorrow or wait till my appointment on Friday. I have an open area along my incision that should not be there, it stings.
You're a nurse, if someone asked you what they should do what would you tell them (be honest)? Whatever that is, do that.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #16969
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
You're a nurse, if someone asked you what they should do what would you tell them (be honest)? Whatever that is, do that.
LOL!! Thanks, PAG!

Well, I'm just thinking out loud...it's not infected, but it is not healing correctly. Not emergent and with proper nursing care, which I can direct Shrek in, we can do the appropriate care (I have the supplies) until Friday.

Okay, what the heck, may as well make a nurse's day and wander into the office.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:06 AM   #16970
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

LOL!! Thanks, PAG!

Well, I'm just thinking out loud...it's not infected, but it is not healing correctly. Not emergent and with proper nursing care, which I can direct Shrek in, we can do the appropriate care (I have the supplies) until Friday.

Okay, what the heck, may as well make a nurse's day and wander into the office.
Gah! No gut spilling, PF!

Heh, you just wanted an excuse to go into work! What the heck, best nurses!