"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #17101
Proud American

I'm woefully behind, but still hoping and praying for many of you. I haven't had a moment to myself.

I'm catching up upon my classes and recording every word of DA's and Mamma's life and typing these out, helping Papa with other things for our new Catina, and helping Carl deal with his Mom. The ex-boyfriend is being a name I cannot say here and so he is causing very much trouble.

But Carl's Mom is standing very firm, she has her friend with her, and of course she has Carl and me. Carl's Mom, I'll call her CM for Carl's Mom, bought Carl a nice truck since her house was paid off. It's a very nice 2003 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 short bed with only 47,000 miles on it. Carl and I are so very proud! He loves driving me around in it. It has an extra seating space where Azia can ride in the back of the cab, not the bed.

Since we called a finish to any romance for now, this is very odd. We really do love each other! We understand family comes first and I am there for to support Carl and his Mom. He is all there for me with everything, and the plans for next summer to Romania stand in place. He will go with me! So will Laki!

We will build upon this friendship and our feelings. As I see things happening, I don't think Carl will want me for his wife. But I do see us being the greatest of friends, with a little love there, maybe.

Who knows? Time will tell.

Right now I must be very strong for CM, for the ex-boyfriend is someone I would like to drop a boat anchor upon his windpipe and I'm angry.

With love,
~Cat

Old 01-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #17102
Master Chef

It sure sounds like you did get a straight up guy, dawg. How lucky for you, since you had to be far away and put your trust in someone else. It's still hard though, isn't it? My mom passed away in March of 2011 and other than her clothes, I still have most of her things. Much is of no value to anyone other than me. I still need to go through some boxes, it's not realistic to keep as much as I've kept. We lived in the same town though, and so everything is local. Makes it a bit easier to procrastinate, unfortunately.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:40 PM   #17103
Master Chef

Sending warm thoughts and prayers to you, Cat. You have a lot to deal with at such a young age, and you seem to be such a strong young lady. Lean on your close friends and family when you need to.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:14 AM   #17104
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...I want whoever cleans out my house to remember me for a looooong time
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Me too, Pac. I want my kids to have to clean out a big mess of junk! Payback for all they put me through!
I'm of the opposite mindset. I had so much of my Mom's and Dad's and Aunt's and Great Aunt's stuff to go through when I finally inherited my parents' house that I felt completely overwhelmed. Seriously, did my Mom really need to keep her Mom's dentures? I don't need our kids having to sort through all the crap I've saved. I need to move it out for my own peace of mind...and the size of that piece of my mind grows smaller every day.

Speaking of minds, I'm going nuts right now smelling Bakechef's brownies cooling! Got a taste for brownies around 9:30 tonight and decided that NOW was when I would finally get around to trying his recipe. They smell so good...
Old 01-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #17105
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm of the opposite mindset. I had so much of my Mom's and Dad's and Aunt's and Great Aunt's stuff to go through when I finally inherited my parents' house that I felt completely overwhelmed. Seriously, did my Mom really need to keep her Mom's dentures? I don't need our kids having to sort through all the crap I've saved. I need to move it out for my own peace of mind...and the size of that piece of my mind grows smaller every day.

Speaking of minds, I'm going nuts right now smelling Bakechef's brownies cooling! Got a taste for brownies around 9:30 tonight and decided that NOW was when I would finally get around to trying his recipe. They smell so good...
DA kept her mother's dentures and also her wood leg. She kept her father's razor and her sister's collection of dog and cat hairs and whiskers.

It's odd.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-27-2014, 12:29 AM   #17106
Proud American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Sending warm thoughts and prayers to you, Cat. You have a lot to deal with at such a young age, and you seem to be such a strong young lady. Lean on your close friends and family when you need to.
Thank you! I will lean on them when I can't lean on myself, yes?

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-27-2014, 12:57 AM   #17107
Master Chef

That is a good plan Cat. Your post made me think of this old song:

Old 01-27-2014, 08:32 AM   #17108
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Going for my Dexa scan....plan on making cheese when I get home.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:44 AM   #17109
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

I understand what you're saying. Part of the problem is, when our kids moved out, they left a lot of their stuff here because they had nowhere to store it. Half of what's in the attic is theirs. We asked them about it a couple times and they said throw it away, they didn't want it. But DH will not do that. He says maybe someday they will change their minds and if they want to throw it away after we're gone, then that's their decision.

While they're at it, they can throw away any of our stuff that they don't want, or divide it between them. Nothing is of a value to be considered an "estate", but it's useable, like my cookbook collection or DH's garage full of power tools. After this past weekend, DS already wants to trade snow blowers with us because his new house has a huge driveway and we only have a short driveway.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:19 AM   #17110
Master Chef

I'm a pack rat by nature and yes, I do have my Grandfathers false teeth!

I'm working on coming to terms with my "stuff" now that I am getting too old and tired to lug it around by myself. I have finally come to understand that keeping it in boxes in the closet and under the bed is just another form of waste. This quote from Basil the Great has been a great help to me as I sort through my "stuff".

“When someone steals another's clothes, we call them a thief. Should we not give the same name to one who could clothe the naked and does not? The bread in your cupboard belongs to the hungry; the coat unused in your closet belongs to the one who needs it; the shoes rotting in your closet belong to the one who has no shoes; the money which you hoard up belongs to the poor.”

It isn't easy watching the things that you and your loved ones worked for being carted off to the thrift store, I would advise young folks to travel light and accumulate memories instead of "stuff"!

That's the view from the top of Fools hill this blustery winter morning!