"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2014, 10:51 AM   #17241
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Talking about office chairs reminded me of when my sister got a new job in Copenhagen. She was quite surprised. The company ergonomist came to her office and spent a half an hour adjusting chair, desk, etc. for her. My sister was very comfortable in that office. Some of the adjustments were done in ways that weren't the obvious way to do it..
When I worked at another job, they had an on-site nurse, and she came around to each department and gave a talk on ergonomics, and the importance of having your work station set up properly. I had been sitting at a left-credenza work station and developed tendonitis in my left shoulder from repetitive turning left toward the credenza. I asked to be moved to a right-credenza work station to help my shoulder to heal. I was told that they can't be moving everyone just because they don't like where they are sitting. So I guess that little speech by the nurse was just to cover their butt for OSHA.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #17242
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks RJD, just 4 hours a day to start. I also have to get my workstation rebuilt...it's all on boxes since the remodeled the office. They gave us built in desks and cupboards.

I just dropped a whole cup of coffee and didn't break the mug...it's amazing how far a cup of coffee can go and I was wearing half of it Are we sure it's FRIday??? Good thing it was no longer hot.

I'll be mopping the kitchen floor today.
You can use the sock method, no one will know!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:53 AM   #17243
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
That would have been okay if I wasn't already leaving coffee footprints.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:34 PM   #17244
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Works great for baseboards. I actually save old sox to use as dust rags - I slip them on my hand like puppets. Himself's old sox get put to work as the baseboard dusters - I can slip one of his over my own sock, dust the baseboard, and still end up with my own sock still clean. Yup, Queen of Lazy I am!
Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM   #17245
Certified Pretend Chef

Taking a break from the sun to do some cooking. SO's daughter, SIL and GS arrive from Florida tomorrow and I'm making what has become our traditional 'first night together' meal, American Chop Suey.

Due to the limited cookware I have available, I have to cook in stages. Right now the sauce is simmering then I have to empty that into a bowl so I can use the same pot to cook the pasta. No clue what I'll be able to mix them together in.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:51 PM   #17246
Master Chef

Waiting patiently (or not! ) for my split pea soup to get done. It's slowly simmering on the stovetop right now and smells wonderful! Torture! Should be another hour or so.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:58 PM   #17247
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My sciatic pain was all the time except when I was sitting in the chair. I even have the sofa cushion pitched forward to sit and relax.
Aside from the small incidences of sciatia I have had over the years, I have had two that just about paralyzed me. I couldn't even get out of bed. I found that total bed rest is what worked best, both times. The first time happened when The Pirate was just a couple of days old. I was nursing him, changing his diapers with him on my stomach, and just having a good old time. The second one happened in Hawaii. I had gone on a five mile hike. Not a good idea. But today, if I even feel the slightest pain in my hip, I immediately lay down and stay there for at least 24 hours. And it works.
Old 01-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #17248
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Aside from the small incidences of sciatia I have had over the years, I have had two that just about paralyzed me. I couldn't even get out of bed. I found that total bed rest is what worked best, both times. The first time happened when The Pirate was just a couple of days old. I was nursing him, changing his diapers with him on my stomach, and just having a good old time. The second one happened in Hawaii. I had gone on a five mile hike. Not a good idea. But today, if I even feel the slightest pain in my hip, I immediately lay down and stay there for at least 24 hours. And it works.
On my worst attacks I do the same thing. It was first diagnosed when I was working in catering. That was the start of diagnosing all my chronic pains - osteoarthritis, sciatica (both sides), triple lumbar fracture, Fibromyalgia, migraines and chronic fatigue syndrome. This is why I always seem sick - but the truth is, I have learned over the past 22 years since I was in an accident and fractured my back that you do what have to to get keep the pain to a minimum and just get on with life.

On that note, my project for the day is rolling 3 skeins of wool into balls to complete my latest project - a two tone cowl for my best friend.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #17249
Master Chef

I had to google scatia... learned something new again ;o)

Hope you get the best out of it all...

Today I had the first lesson of my english course, so I have something to do for the next 9 fridays ;o)
We have the same teacher as last year and it started funny - again ;o)
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:43 PM   #17250
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
On that note, my project for the day is rolling 3 skeins of wool into balls to complete my latest project - a two tone cowl for my best friend.
Do you know the trick of putting the end of the yarn in a medicine bottle, put the cap on, and then wind around the bottle? It makes it possible to pull the yarn from the middle.