"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #18611
Executive Chef

Cara, I am praying for a full and speedy recovery for Frank.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #18612
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I'm watching Burger Land on the Travel channel. I haven't seen this series of burger joint programs before. I always like getting new ideas for the hamburger.

To me, a burger has to be a patty, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo. Period. With many other things I can be adventurous, but not the burger.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #18613
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
To me, a burger has to be a patty, lettuce, tomato, onion and mayo. Period. With many other things I can be adventurous, but not the burger.
I wish I liked 'burger. When I make the 'burger with onions and gravy, I only use 1/4 of a pound. Just enough to give it flavor. I rely more on the Better Than Bullion for the flavor than the meat. The only way I will eat 'burger, is if I get a Burger King, hold the onion. I usually will buy a Jr. Burger. The regular one is too much for me to eat. I never finish it.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #18614
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Some might say that is too much

I saw a couple I'd like to make.
One was a poached burger. You have 1/4" or so of water with a pile of onions in it, steaming away, and the burger cooking alongside. The hamburger consisted of a regular bun, the burger, some onions, some horseradish and some mustard. The guys commented on how beefy and oniony the flavor was. How the burger picked up the flavors of being cooked in onion flavored water. It wasn't the prettiest burger but it sounded delicious.

And there was a griddle method of pre-making the burgers into meatballs and using a metal spatula to flatten them onto the griddle. Sort of a pushing down/sliding motion that left a very thin, quick cooking burger with edges that picked up a nice crust.

But they did have a loaded burger that caught my attention, too. A Brazilian burger. It was a ground sirloin steak with a cooked slice of ham and Swiss cheese, a fried egg, lettuce, tomato, pickles, corn and potato sticks. I think it had mayo on it. Supposedly it was authentic to what you can get in Brazil.

And on the opposite end they were in WI and there was a burger joint where you could not order a cheeseburger. They literally had no cheese at a burger joint in WI

Good series if you are into food.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:07 PM   #18615
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
My husband, Frank, had a accident on the motorway friday afternoon...
Cara, you and Frank are both in my prayers. Hoping he makes a full recovery.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:38 PM   #18616
Executive Chef

Quote:
My husband, Frank, had a accident on the motorway friday afternoon. He was brought to the hospital with the helicopter.
He was put into induced coma, has a comminuted femoral neck fracture, which was operated the same night. He also has a broken pelvis, which needs surgical treatment within the next days, broken rips and a broken sternum. Due to this his lung is also damaged.
All that happened 400km away from Hannover. I will travel to Regensburg today. Even if I can't do anything there, it's better than sitting here and worrying.
My thoughts are with you, Cara. I don't know if you'll pick this up but I have a friend who lives in Regensburg. She's a Lutheran minister. I'm not sure if she's at home at the moment as she has been in London but if she's around I could ask her to meet with you if it would help. She's a lovely Scotswoman with grown up children who doesn't push religion down your throat and is just what one needs in a crisis. If you need her let me know.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #18617
Chef Extraordinaire

The only way I love 'burger is in a really good home made meatloaf. And I love it in a sandwich with ketchup!
Old 04-06-2014, 05:55 PM   #18618
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The only way I love 'burger is in a really good home made meatloaf. And I love it in a sandwich with ketchup!
Or with a little salt and real mayonnaise or better yet... on wheat bread with mustard THAT is my favorite right there. Gotta be wheat bread though.
sonofagun... my yummy is just a red X now... interesting.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #18619
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
My husband, Frank, had a accident on the motorway friday afternoon.
Cara, so sorry! My thoughts and prayers for you and Frank.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:49 PM   #18620
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Watching 60 Minutes...made a donation to Healthwagon.org. The website is crowded right now...it's a worthy cause.