"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #19741
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm just trying to keep a concise listing of our 50 Medicare patients and their assessment dates. It was an ID-10T error, PEBKAC. I'm still trying to understand how it works. I'm a nurse, not a computer tech.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #19742
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm just trying to keep a concise listing of our 50 Medicare patients and their assessment dates. It was an ID-10T error, PEBKAC. I'm still trying to understand how it works. I'm a nurse, not a computer tech.
Too bad we can't trade expertise. I lived with Excel most of my professional life (once it was invented). I still use it all the time.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #19743
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Too bad we can't trade expertise. I lived with Excel most of my professional life (once it was invented). I still use it all the time.
That would be nice, Andy! Thanks. I just need someone who knows to sit down and show me. I am a "hands on" learner. But trying to wade through the Excel for Dummies book and other online help I can find, I just can't see it and it makes no sense to me.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 AM   #19744
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That would be nice, Andy! Thanks. I just need someone who knows to sit down and show me. I am a "hands on" learner. But trying to wade through the Excel for Dummies book and other online help I can find, I just can't see it and it makes no sense to me.

Excel is so amazingly complex and powerful, it's easy to get overwhelmed. I think your best bet is to learn as you go. You figure out how to do something for a report and it's yours. Then someone else shows you a cool function you didn't know about and you add that to your repertoire.

I'm here to answer questions if needed.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #19745
Senior Cook

My poor wife had the screen off the front window and was cleaning the outside of the window when several wasps attacked her from a nest hidden behind a shutter. I heard her shouting and screaming. She took several stings on her forearms. Normally, these wasps are fairly common and docile in the south but if you get too close to their nests, they can be fierce.

When we lived in the Pacific Northwest, we were plagued with a particularly nasty and aggressive hornet called German Yellowjackets. They built nests underground and if you happened to walk on or near one they would swarm out. Getting rid of them was fairly easy. Wait until dark when they were dormant, pour a small amount of kerosene down the hole and cover with a rock. Next morning, all dead. I've been stung by these nasty critters right through my shirt and socks! The stings are so potent they caused muscle cramps and extreme itching.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #19746
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
When the Atari ST came out in the early '80s I got one and helped found an Atari ST users group. Someone asked me what I liked to play (there were a number of computer games for this machine) and I replied, "Spreadsheet." I love computer spreadsheets. I use them all the time, I usually use Libre Office Calc (it's free and Excel compatible) or Google Docs.

Andy, the problem with learning it on your own is that you may not find the efficient, easy way. I have one client who sends me a spreadsheet of income and expenses every year. She hasn't learned to use "Sum". So instead of =sum(a1:a7), she types =(a1+a2+a3+a4+a5+a6+a7). Many of her sums are really long. She doesn't believe me that there is an easier way.

It works, but it's a PITA to verify that she got it right.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:25 PM   #19747
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...Andy, the problem with learning it on your own is that you may not find the efficient, easy way...

I understand your point. I never had a class on Excel. Actually I started out with Lotus 1-2-3 and moved to Excel when it took over. I learned a lot of "better ways" to do things by examining others' spreadsheets and seeing unfamiliar formulas. Then I'd investigate and learn a new process.

Of course, that was all in the old days when formal classes on Excel were few and far between. Things are better organized now.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:30 PM   #19748
Certified Cake Maniac

I leave Excel to TB. He is a master at it. He sets it up and I use it. Now Word and PowerPoint, those are my realms. Also Photoshop and Publisher.

I am waiting for TB to come home with a new prescription for my pain - it is an anti-inflammatory that I can take - so many I can't. If you look at the side of my face and my rib cage, you would think I went a round with Mohammad Ali! I am swollen and black and blue. Last night I woke up twice with a start as my legs went off the bed but I was held back by the bed rail. It is my new best friend! Now we just have to figure out what is making me go into such deep sleeps and roll off like that. It happened twice before, but with huge time periods between.

I am making "travel bags" for a friend's two kids. She is taking them on a plane for the first time to California and they have very low attention spans so I am sewing a bag for each of them with their name on it and filling it with small toys, colouring books, etc. It is very fun!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #19749
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I understand your point. I never had a class on Excel. Actually I started out with Lotus 1-2-3 and moved to Excel when it took over. I learned a lot of "better ways" to do things by examining others' spreadsheets and seeing unfamiliar formulas. Then I'd investigate and learn a new process.

Of course, that was all in the old days when formal classes on Excel were few and far between. Things are better organized now.
Yup. The first spreadsheet I learned was Lotus 1-2-3 compatible. Anything that wasn't compatible had to be done with a mouse to keep the spreadsheet compatible. That was before 1-2-3 could be used with a mouse.

I guess I really meant that one should play with it to learn it and then find out other ways to do stuff. That's when the books and other people and their spreadsheets comes in handy.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #19750
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I planted a bunch of sprouted garlic cloves. I think it was Got Garlic who reported she does this. We'll see what, if anything, happens.

Now I'm going to fling some marigold seeds around. The winter was hard on a lot of stuff, and I have bare spots in a lot of places I've never had before.