"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #20371
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Aside from furnishings, linens and pumps, etc. Anything they bring into the room and leave is single use. It either goes in the trash or the employees pockets to take home.

If I could figure out a use for the blood pressure cuffs, I'd bring them home, too...but the connectors are different from the one I have.

Old 07-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #20372
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Oh yeah. Even baby aspirin is charged at outrageous prices. Best to bring your own.

Hmm. Blood pressure cuffs as pot holders?

Old 07-20-2014, 03:09 PM   #20373
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh yeah. Even baby aspirin is charged at outrageous prices. Best to bring your own.
Absolutely. I have some of the cheapest blood pressure medications there are, Losartan - they charged me the same price for one tablet as it would have cost me for three months of refills. And I was in the hospital for 4 days, it was given 8 times.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #20374
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Thanks for the idea Carol. I never put the laundry supplies back in the same place under the sink. So every time I go to do laundry, I have to hunt for the bleach, etc. Those are the items I use the most. Definitely going to get me some hospital type basins.
Addie, I have several of those type basins, one I use as a dish pan. All from WalMart for $2 each. There is a choice of several colors, too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #20375
Chef Extraordinaire

I have brought home the thermometers. But the battery wore out on them. So Poo is going to get me one of those they run across your forehead. He says they are more reliable than the ones that go in the ear.

I also bring home the toothbrushes. Great for cleaning grout. Corners and other areas that the usual cleaning tools leave untouched.

Yeah TL. Everything that comes into the room for our personal use is billable. Even the cheap comb that breaks the second you put it in your hand.

I have a bag that I keep packed for anytime I go out the door in the ambulance. I have it hanging on the handle to the closet door that you have to pass to go out. It has a container with a little salt and pepper mix. Just a pinch is all I need for any of the meals. I also have a bunch of sugar packets for the cup of tea that I have the nurse make with the English Breakfast tea bags that are in my bag. My cell phone goes with me also. Not to use, but for the phone numbers. With the list of contacts. I couldn't tell you anyone's phone number. I also have a pair of underwear for when I am discharged. The bag is small enough to fit right into my sewing bag. And that goes everywhere with me.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #20376
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I hear you loud and clear Addie!!

Actually, they usually use cloth diapers for her (huge savings with $).
I requested disposable today.. at my age, grand mother was not interested in dealing with even one more cloth diaper in the toilet. Been there, done that...
Age has it's perks.
Oh, you betcha! When I went up to the kids' cabin on Monday, I got the best seat in the all terrain vehicles!

Sounds like you had a great day with little Cheyenne, Kay. And I love her name....
Old 07-20-2014, 08:20 PM   #20377
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Glad he's not on the FBI's most wanted list, Munky! Whew!

I put on my arsenal of gnat spray that smells like angelfood cake, along with DEET for the mosquitoes, and went out to pick tomatoes and green beans. I also pulled up a bunch of lemonbalm that's growing everywhere. It's a great addition to hibiscus tea, I just cut off the roots and steep it along with the dried hibiscus flowers.
Lemon balm is lovely in its place. It's when it goes walk about it's an infernal nuisance. Mine is firmly ensconced in a pot on the paved terrace under the front windows. Nowhere for it to go even if it escapes.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #20378
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh, you betcha! When I went up to the kids' cabin on Monday, I got the best seat in the all terrain vehicles!

Sounds like you had a great day with little Cheyenne, Kay. And I love her name....
There used to be a pinto pony on the yard called Cheyenne only the people who owned her had inherited the name from previous owners and, not knowing any better, thought it was spelled Shy Anne - nothing was further than the truth with that pony!
Old 07-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #20379
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Good God! (Sorry, Addie.) Do workmen over there expect 2 course luncheons as well as money? Don't tell our workmen over here - it would scare them off! The last lot in my house graciously accepted mid-morning and mid-a'noon cups of tea but clearly thought I'd lost my mind when I offered cookies! At lunchtime they retired to their van to eat their sandwiches in peace despite invitations to use the dining room and plates, etc!
No, workmen don't get the top drawer treatment like the guys did here on Saturday. The four included my husband (Glenn), his son (Kenneth) and two other men who, over the years worked for both Glenn and Kenneth in their auto-body business and have since become good friends. As it turned out, they helped because they said they "owed" them for help Glenn and Kenneth had extended to them.

It was a good day, especially since they'd worked together, off and on, for many, many years and knew each other's strengths and weaknesses.

The garage was done and clean-up was completed by 3 p.m. The only tasks left are to install the garage door and wire it for lights and outlets, which won't take very long.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #20380
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
There used to be a pinto pony on the yard called Cheyenne only the people who owned her had inherited the name from previous owners and, not knowing any better, thought it was spelled Shy Anne - nothing was further than the truth with that pony!
When my best friend and I were teens, she got a yearling quarter horse for her birthday that she named Shy Anne...I'd never heard of that spelling other than from her, and now here!