"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2014, 12:05 PM   #20461
Master Chef

Was just at the grocery store and seen they had Heinz yellow mustard, I bought one because I thought I needed mustard. Well, I looked in the ref. when I got home and I couldn't believe all of the different mustards I had in the door of the ref. Now I have Heinz and Krafts yellow, horseradish mustard, Dijon ground, Vidalia Onion mustard and Dijon Honey. I surely will have enough for quite a while, and for everykind of dish or sandwich.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:10 PM   #20462
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I travel, but not a lot. Why? We HAVE colored peppers in our area, I just never ate them. We didn't get much fresh produce growing up and I just recently became interested in trying different vegetables...different from the canned peas, corn and green beans my mother served. Apparently DH grew up the same as I did because he still only eats the three vegetables my mother cooked.
In my experience, travel opens your eyes to a lot of things - other ways of eating, of living, of doing art, spending time with friends and family, of thinking about things. Other cultures.

I think one of the reasons I've been so inspired to try all kinds of things I didn't grow up with is because when I graduated from high school, my mother gave me a trip to Europe for a graduation present: 15 countries in 30 days. Some were just a day or an afternoon, but we spent three days in Paris, three days in London, two days in Germany, at least three in Italy, etc. We also visited the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, and Switzerland. I've also been to Mexico, Ireland and Turkey, as well as traveled a fair amount in the U.S. Lots of different experiences in each place.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #20463
Chef Extraordinaire

I have to shut down my computer now. We're leaving for a road trip to Michigan to visit DH's family. But I'm taking my tablet and smartphone, so I'm not going MIA Have a great day, y'all!
Old 07-25-2014, 12:26 PM   #20464
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't have enough problems of my own, but I get a phone call this morning. Poo developed a blood clot in his lung last night and is back in the hospital. At least this time it is a bit closer to home. I called him last night at home and he didn't sound good. And I made it a point to tell him so. It made him think. If you can tell over the phone that I am not doing good, them maybe I'm not.

He got a sharp pain in the bottom of his lung late last night. He knew what that meant and called 911 immediately. At least he is in the hospital where he works, so I know he is getting the best of care.

He called me to let me know that he notified the hospital and a few of his very closest friends that he has given me power of attorney and they are to call me for any medical decisions should he not be able to make them himself.

A little background. He has been separated from his wife since Thanksgiving Eve. I asked him about her making the decisions. He informed me that she doesn't give a damn. Nice wife. The Pirate was sitting here so he knows what is going on. And I called my SIL to tell him. We decided we would wait for any updates before we let my daughter know. She does not handle bad new very well. She goes to pieces before you can even get three words out. Whether the news is good or bad. Right now a prayer or two might help. And deeply appreciated.

So I walk around doing little chores with my cell phone in my pocket just waiting. One for each.
Addie, Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I really can't put into words what I am feeling for you and what you all are going through. JoAnn
Old 07-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #20465
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Addie, Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I really can't put into words what I am feeling for you and what you all are going through. JoAnn
The same words from me too Addie. Hang in there girl!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #20466
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
In my experience, travel opens your eyes to a lot of things - other ways of eating, of living, of doing art, spending time with friends and family, of thinking about things. Other cultures.

I think one of the reasons I've been so inspired to try all kinds of things I didn't grow up with is because when I graduated from high school, my mother gave me a trip to Europe for a graduation present: 15 countries in 30 days. Some were just a day or an afternoon, but we spent three days in Paris, three days in London, two days in Germany, at least three in Italy, etc. We also visited the Netherlands, Denmark, Belgium, and Switzerland. I've also been to Mexico, Ireland and Turkey, as well as traveled a fair amount in the U.S. Lots of different experiences in each place.
What a spectacular graduation gift GG. A lot like the "Grand Tour" in modern time and not having to cross the ocean by ship.
I never owned a passport till I met Steve 8 years ago. He really meant it when he said, "marry me and I'll show you the world". We have now visited 41 countries, many of them more than once. I'm truly blessed in so many ways.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:39 PM   #20467
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
What a spectacular graduation gift GG. A lot like the "Grand Tour" in modern time and not having to cross the ocean by ship.
I never owned a passport till I met Steve 8 years ago. He really meant it when he said, "marry me and I'll show you the world". We have now visited 41 countries, many of them more than once. I'm truly blessed in so many ways.
That's fantastic, Kayelle. What a wonderful man I hope one day we can do a South American cruise like you and Steve did.

And yes, it was a wonderful graduation gift. My mom and I were just talking with my niece about doing something similar for her when she graduates (she's 15).
Old 07-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #20468
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't have enough problems of my own, but I get a phone call this morning. Poo developed a blood clot in his lung last night and is back in the hospital. At least this time it is a bit closer to home. I called him last night at home and he didn't sound good. And I made it a point to tell him so. It made him think. If you can tell over the phone that I am not doing good, them maybe I'm not.

He got a sharp pain in the bottom of his lung late last night. He knew what that meant and called 911 immediately. At least he is in the hospital where he works, so I know he is getting the best of care.

He called me to let me know that he notified the hospital and a few of his very closest friends that he has given me power of attorney and they are to call me for any medical decisions should he not be able to make them himself.

A little background. He has been separated from his wife since Thanksgiving Eve. I asked him about her making the decisions. He informed me that she doesn't give a damn. Nice wife. The Pirate was sitting here so he knows what is going on. And I called my SIL to tell him. We decided we would wait for any updates before we let my daughter know. She does not handle bad new very well. She goes to pieces before you can even get three words out. Whether the news is good or bad. Right now a prayer or two might help. And deeply appreciated.

So I walk around doing little chores with my cell phone in my pocket just waiting. One for each.
Prayers on-going. I hope things work out ok. God bless.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:00 PM   #20469
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Umm...If you ever find Steve surplus to requirements, I'll take him off your hands
Old 07-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #20470
Executive Chef

Unpacked another box of cookery books today. That makes 246 so far. Still two more crates to unpack. I think the count of 300 might have been an understatement!

Need to invest in some more bookcases. The ones from the old house were fixtures.