"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2014, 08:15 AM   #21881
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm working on my grocery lists for tomorrow's shopping spree. By tomorrow afternoon, I'll be able to indulge in my favorite time of planning recipes and working on getting all the meats and produce prepped and frozen or cooked.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 12:00 PM   #21882
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I went to Gastro yesterday. I am scheduled for a Barium study later this month. This morning I am going shopping. I received a $21 increase in my food stamps due to winter heating costs. I don't know how they figured that. I don't pay for my heat, but I am not complaining. Right now I will take what ever help I can get.

It is 5 a.m. and I need to be ready by 7 a.m.
It never sounds like you eat enough to use up your food stamps, Addie, but I guess with your boys being there so much you need that extra food. My brother-in-law is eligible for food stamps but won't apply. He's eligible for a lot of things he won't apply for. I don't know why. He worked all his life and paid taxes. In fact, he still works a little part time job and is still paying taxes. He would rather live so frugally instead of taking what he calls hand-outs.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:03 PM   #21883
Executive Chef

I bought this little fountain at Goodwill today. I'm going to put it on my coffee table for the holidays. It didn't have the directions in the box so I googled to make sure I was using the right amount of water and putting it in the right place. In the directions it said "empty the water from the fountain before turning upside down to change the batteries." Well DUH! It's a good thing they told me that!!! LOL

Sarah Peyton LED Candle Water Fountain - Overstock™ Shopping - Great Deals on Indoor Fountains
Old 12-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #21884
Master Chef

That's cute, Carol! Hope you got a good deal. Oh, and the comment about "emptying water..." is probably for movers. When my cousin moved from Chicago to Minnesota years ago I remember her telling us the movers packed everything as-is..including a vase with flowers and water still IN it! Thanks to her learning experience, I made sure all of our stuff was packing ready when we moved here. However, I didn't know the movers were going to turn my dresser on its side. All my boxes of fashion jewelry opened and spilled. I was untangling earrings and chains for months! Next move, I'm packing all of our clean towels into the dresser drawers. That way there should be no chance of contents shifting. I hope.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:52 PM   #21885
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's cute, Carol! Hope you got a good deal. Oh, and the comment about "emptying water..." is probably for movers. When my cousin moved from Chicago to Minnesota years ago I remember her telling us the movers packed everything as-is..including a vase with flowers and water still IN it! Thanks to her learning experience, I made sure all of our stuff was packing ready when we moved here. However, I didn't know the movers were going to turn my dresser on its side. All my boxes of fashion jewelry opened and spilled. I was untangling earrings and chains for months! Next move, I'm packing all of our clean towels into the dresser drawers. That way there should be no chance of contents shifting. I hope.
I got it for $2, so I think that's a good deal. I will probably just use it for something different over the holidays. I have other decor for every day. I love Goodwill!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:08 PM   #21886
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I bought this little fountain at Goodwill today. I'm going to put it on my coffee table for the holidays. It didn't have the directions in the box so I googled to make sure I was using the right amount of water and putting it in the right place. In the directions it said "empty the water from the fountain before turning upside down to change the batteries." Well DUH! It's a good thing they told me that!!! LOL

Sarah Peyton LED Candle Water Fountain - Overstock™ Shopping - Great Deals on Indoor Fountains
That's really pretty. You could put some small ornaments or bits of tinsel in among the rocks, or instead of the rocks, to sparkle it up for the holidays

Usually when there are stupid directions for appliances, it's because some stupid person did it and then complained to the company about it The manual for my stove advised not standing on the open oven door because the oven would tip over
Old 12-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #21887
Executive Chef

GG, that is so funny about the oven door! I see all kinds of stupid directions. I had a friend in high school whose mother was electracuted with the hairdryer while taking a bath. That's a warning I see often.

Because the section with the rocks is the reservoir for the water, I have to be careful what I put in there. I could use some small plastic flowers, like poinsettias, or maybe I will just put a wreath or something on the table with the little fountain in the middle. I have a large octagon shaped coffee table. When I finally figure out what I'm going to do I will post a picture.

I have an attic full of Christmas decor, but can't use much of it anymore. We used to have shelves that separated our living room and dining room but we took them out and now just have an open floor plan. We also used to have a large entertainment center, and now we only have a small glass stand for the flat screen TV. So I don't have as many places to put things out. Some day I will let the kids pick out what they want and donate the rest.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #21888
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
I have an attic full of Christmas decor, but can't use much of it anymore. We used to have shelves that separated our living room and dining room but we took them out and now just have an open floor plan. We also used to have a large entertainment center, and now we only have a small glass stand for the flat screen TV. So I don't have as many places to put things out. Some day I will let the kids pick out what they want and donate the rest.
The less you put out, the less you have to take down after the holidays.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:42 AM   #21889
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
And the less you have to enjoy during the holidays.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #21890
Executive Chef

Quote:
Yes, I'm finding that out, Addie. I have to be very alert when DH decides to take down the Christmas decorations. When I do it, I plainly mark each box so we know what's in them next year. He has a habit of throwing everything together, in the wrong boxes, some things just in bags, then next year we can't find anything. He must have done that last year because when he got out the lights for outside, they were all tangled up. He gave them to ME to untangle. If I had put them away, each string would have been rolled up separately, and the box clearly marked "outside lights."

Years ago we had an old damask tablecloth that had belonged to his grandmother. It was tattered, but we used it as a tree skirt under the tree. It had sentimental value. When we put the tree away, we put the tablecloth in the box with the tree. The next year we bought a bigger fake tree and he sold the old one for a couple dollars. Away went his grandmother's tablecloth in the box with the tree. I wanted to kill him. (Please don't notify the authorities. I would not really "kill" him. He tends to be entertaining at times!)