"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-22-2015, 08:25 PM   #24661
Master Chef

The last time I had surplus coats, I gave them to the Salvation Army along with the donations to their Thanksgiving Dinner food drive, with hopes that they actually went to those who needed them.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #24662
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Yes, I think Salvation Army doesn't make a profit for sales.

My qualm with SA is that they are not gay-friendly, and oppose same-sex marriage.

Oh well, these coats are really nice, and they're taking up a lot of space on my dining room table!

Old 11-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #24663
Chef Extraordinaire

What beautiful work he does. So glad it passed kitty's approval inspection.
Old 11-22-2015, 11:45 PM   #24664
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Yes, I think Salvation Army doesn't make a profit for sales.

My qualm with SA is that they are not gay-friendly, and oppose same-sex marriage.

Oh well, these coats are really nice, and they're taking up a lot of space on my dining room table!
The SA is the only charity I will donate to. I too heard about their stance on not being gay friendly, but I had to keep in mind that it is a religious organization. And I don't feel comfortable judging them for their religious beliefs and practices.

Other than that I have never heard of any scandal regarding the SA for as long as I have lived. Therefore I make it a point to make a donation to their Red Kettles every year. And in addition I just mailed in my yearly donation to their Thanksgiving Dinner Fund.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #24665
Senior Cook

Sorry I haven't been here in a while, my mom has had a rough year and it has ended up with her having a hip replacement and going to an inpatient rehab facility. But she seems to be doing good now and she will be coming home soon.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:07 AM   #24666
Cook

Very nice bench, PF......looks great. Your dad did a nice job with what he had on hand.

I have a rack in my garage for lumber that I've salvaged or bought over the years. I retired from carpentry a few years ago.....commercial and residential. I still have many tools that I rarely use.......last thing I built was a 12' balance beam for my grand-daughter for Christmas in 2012.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:08 PM   #24667
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I was just browsing Facebook and my friends that adopted the baby, had some pics from a professional shoot. He's 15 months and I have no idea where that time went! This kid melts my heart, when I visit he's pretty much at my hip all the time. We play, he gets his blanket and a book and we read, we have snacks. He's just such a well adjusted happy-go-lucky kid. We babysat him a week ago and he was totally cool waving goodbye to mom and dad, not a tear shed. They are coming for Thanksgiving, so that should be fun!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 07:29 PM   #24668
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
I was just browsing Facebook and my friends that adopted the baby, had some pics from a professional shoot. He's 15 months and I have no idea where that time went! This kid melts my heart, when I visit he's pretty much at my hip all the time. We play, he gets his blanket and a book and we read, we have snacks. He's just such a well adjusted happy-go-lucky kid. We babysat him a week ago and he was totally cool waving goodbye to mom and dad, not a tear shed. They are coming for Thanksgiving, so that should be fun!
Sounds like the perfect age to get started with this Thanksgiving tradition, don't forget to send him home with a can!

Old 11-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #24669
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Babies do have a way of melting your heart. And they grow up a lot faster than we want them to.
Old 11-23-2015, 11:00 PM   #24670
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Sorry I haven't been here in a while, my mom has had a rough year and it has ended up with her having a hip replacement and going to an inpatient rehab facility. But she seems to be doing good now and she will be coming home soon.
Good to see you back cjmmytunes, and best wishes for a speedy recovery for your dear mama. Jump right back in here when you're ready.