"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-20-2016, 01:34 PM   #25151
Certified Cake Maniac

I'm prepping for a wedding cake tasting tomorrow. It is the first one I have done in a few years and I am surprisingly a little nervous! The bride really loves my cake and is super stoked that I am doing hers. I guess I feel a little pressure to make it perfect. But I am trying to not let those thoughts in.

Today I am doing lemon chiffon, chocolate genoise and whipped cream (white) cakes, lemon curd and strawberry mousse fillings, and fondant. Yesterday I did banana chiffon cake and buttercream.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:45 PM   #25152
Senior Cook

Today making turkey calls.

Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 PM   #25153
Master Chef

Waiting. Again. Sometimes shopping with Himself is just so...Done!
Old 02-21-2016, 12:43 AM   #25154
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I hear ya, CG. When DH and I go to Costco thrice yearly, he meanders, and his phone is off. I can't easily find him. When I'm done shopping, I'm done shopping. No, I don't want to look at polo shirts and mens pants. Just want to bag up my food and toilet paper and go.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:18 AM   #25155
Master Chef

I had a few things to get at the grocery store. Once we were done wandering the produce section (the one that takes me the longest time - almost half the time I'm in the store), I told him "I need this, that, and one more thing. I'll meet you by the sushi". And then could not find him. Finally shows up, picks his "reward" for coming with me, and heads in a completely different direction. Since we had my car, I always have the keys in my purse. Had he not made it to the front of the store by the time I checked out, he was in danger of missing his ride! Our Market Basket must have a Cone of Silence over it, because no one can use their phone in there.

Got to wait some more in Lowe's, my post earlier. At least I checked email and Facebook with their WiFi.

Oh, and my $50-$55 dollar grocery trip? $87. Gotta love him. Really, I gotta love him. He's getting Social Security deposits.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:21 AM   #25156
Head Chef

I recently had brunch and made a new discovery. On my sourdough bread I had some goats cheese but it needed something else to offset the cloying taste. (I know a common accompaniment is caramelised onions). I tried it with mango chutney - bingo!!
Old 02-21-2016, 01:53 PM   #25157
Master Chef

When I go shopping with my daughter and their families, I'm the one guilty of doing the dilly dallying. I do keep my phone turned on though, so they can keep track of me. One time I had the ringer set too low and didn't hear it, and got paged through the Home Depot intercom.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:52 PM   #25158
Master Chef

Taking a lunch break from container planting. So far I've planted spinach, flat leaf parsley, chives, green onions, and radishes. Hopefully Home Depot will soon have the tomato seedlings I'm waiting for.
Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #25159
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
When I go shopping with my daughter and their families, I'm the one guilty of doing the dilly dallying. I do keep my phone turned on though, so they can keep track of me. One time I had the ringer set too low and didn't hear it, and got paged through the Home Depot intercom.
Ha...back in the day the store intercom was very busy..."Joey is at the front desk looking for his Mom" That oldest son drove me bonkers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Taking a lunch break from container planting. So far I've planted spinach, flat leaf parsley, chives, green onions, and radishes. Hopefully Home Depot will soon have the tomato seedlings I'm waiting for.
The SC came home from Home Depot yesterday so excited with two tomato plants loaded with blossoms in gallon containers. He's not a patient man.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 PM   #25160
Master Chef

Kay, I'll have to get down to Home Depot today before Tyler gets here, hopefully they'll have their tomatoes in. I mentioned 'seedlings' but they're usually about 8" tall, pretty bushy, and have blossoms on them. I get patio tomatoes - they don't get really tall, but they produce well. I wish I had room for in-ground 'mater plants, but the back yard is mostly lawn and the front yard doesn't get enough sun because of the trees, so I have to do container gardening.
Here's to a good, productive tomato year for all!

What do you use for keeping those nasty hornworms away? I usually just watch for them every couple of days and when I see one, I cut off the leaf it's on and throw it in the yard for the birds.