"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-11-2016, 11:20 PM   #25861
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh, Cheryl, you would not believe it...and we fly all the time!

Happy birthday to "our" dear Tyler! He's a big boy now!
Thank you, Dawg. He sure is getting to be a big boy - pretty sure he's going to be taller than me by the time he's 10.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:07 AM   #25862
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Just taking a break from trying to hang wallpaper in the bathroom. I am a seasoned wallpaper hanger and this is a decent quality of paper but this is causing very blue air in my house. It keeps falling off! I thought the first time it was because I'd stripped the old paper off and found the old 1920s oil paint on the walls so I dealt with that by painting the wall with wallpaper paste and letting it dry before going back to it, putting another coat of paste (same reliable make, different package, so not likely to be a problem with the paste) on the wall, pasted the paper and stuck it up. By now it was 2am so I went to bed. Got up this morning and went into the bathroom and the better part of yesterday's work was lying on the floor sneering at me!

God, I wish I'd married a rich man when I had the chance (or a good do-it-yourself-er would do).

Oh boogers. That would be annoying as heck, MC, and I've been known to have the patience of a saint. Pretty certain the air would turn blue around me too if I went through that!

Old 07-12-2016, 12:20 AM   #25863
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Thank you, Dawg. He sure is getting to be a big boy - pretty sure he's going to be taller than me by the time he's 10.

My gorgeous three year old nephew is as tall as a six year old.

Of course, he doesn't quite act like a six year old at three, but he should be a very good basketball player when he gets to high school!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:48 AM   #25864
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oh, Cheryl, you would not believe it...and we fly all the time!

Happy birthday to "our" dear Tyler! He's a big boy now!
Since you fly a lot, would you qualify for the express lane?
Old 07-12-2016, 04:54 AM   #25865
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Just taking a break from trying to hang wallpaper in the bathroom. I am a seasoned wallpaper hanger and this is a decent quality of paper but this is causing very blue air in my house. It keeps falling off! I thought the first time it was because I'd stripped the old paper off and found the old 1920s oil paint on the walls so I dealt with that by painting the wall with wallpaper paste and letting it dry before going back to it, putting another coat of paste (same reliable make, different package, so not likely to be a problem with the paste) on the wall, pasted the paper and stuck it up. By now it was 2am so I went to bed. Got up this morning and went into the bathroom and the better part of yesterday's work was lying on the floor sneering at me!

God, I wish I'd married a rich man when I had the chance (or a good do-it-yourself-er would do).
MC, When I only had two kids, my sister would watch them, and I would go to work with my BIL doing remodeling. When he had a wallpaper job to do, after removing all the old paper, he had a large block of wood with a medium grit of sandpaper wrapped around it. He would go over all the walls with it. Just enough for the paste to have something to grab. Try roughing up just one area large enough for one strip and see if that helps. It sounds like the dry paste is too slippery for the wet paste to cling to.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:06 AM   #25866
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Since you fly a lot, would you qualify for the express lane?

We have Global Entry and TSA Precheck, but when coming back from an international flight, at least in Atlanta, everyone still has to go through the agents and a body scan if they have a connecting flight. It's always somewhat insulting after we've been breezing through without having to remove shoes and getting cavity-searched!
Old 07-12-2016, 03:13 PM   #25867
Master Chef

We're off. Finally. IF we drive straight through we won't be home before 2:00 AM. Why not? We're night owls! :D
Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 AM   #25868
Chef Extraordinaire

Here it is 5:30 a.m. I have been awake for an hour and a half. I just reached for my first cigarette of the day. Two weeks ago, I reached for my first and lit it as I raced for the outhouse as soon as I woke. The Chantix have kicked in full force. Last week was the introductory week of introducing the drug into my system. I mentioned to my daughter yesterday that I had noticed that I was smoking less and less this past week. So I am on my way.

I am halfway through my cigarette and had to put it out. Brings on a hard coughing spell. Not good for the heart.

My goal is to be not smoking at the end of a month of being on the Chantix.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #25869
Master Chef

Just got home about half an hour ago. Unpacked the car and put a few things from the cooler into the fridge. Just waiting for the hot water tank to heat the water enough so we don't fully wake when we wash our faces. Then it's off to sleep till about noon...on Thursday! :D
Old 07-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #25870
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Just got home about half an hour ago. Unpacked the car and put a few things from the cooler into the fridge. Just waiting for the hot water tank to heat the water enough so we don't fully wake when we wash our faces. Then it's off to sleep till about noon...on Thursday! :D
Welcome back. Massachusetts missed you. Get some much needed sleep.