"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-16-2012, 11:54 PM   #6231
Certified Pretend Chef

We felt nothing here. Of course it was BIG news on every TV station over and over again.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #6232
Chef Extraordinaire

When Mt. St. Helens blew her top in May of 1980 I was living in Tacoma with my youngest son. It was a Sunday morning. The local PBS used to show programming for older kids all day. Of course all the stations covered it. All day Sunday, all day Monday, and most of Tuesday. You couldn't go outside. The ash when the wind was just right, blew right under your door, on your hair, into your mouth, etc. So you stayed in and turned on the radio. You couldn't go out, nothing on TV except the mountain, and now even the radio. Eastern Washington got the worst of it. Then Weyhauser started to harvest the logs that got blown down from the blast. Here we go again. Only this time it was Tacoma that got the worst of it. The logs were covered in ash. It was reported every night on the news how the ash was being blown off the logs as they traveled along Pacific Avenue on the way to the mill. Right through residential areas. When the quake hit and my house split in half, I decided to come home. I had anough.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:35 AM   #6233
Sous Chef

Durga puja is starting only after three days so I am giving finishing touch to my daughter's dress.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 AM   #6234
Master Chef

Waiting patiently for them to finish tiling my kitchen so I can get out of the house!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:45 AM   #6235
Master Chef

Right now I don't know what I'm doing. No, not that bad, but my dog had a seizure Monday night. I went to the doc yesterday. Today I'm just hoping to put my feet up and pretend the past day or two didn't happen! No, I'm just kidding. Right now I'm reading this and thinking of hoping to get acouple hours of sleep. Insomnia, what can you do?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #6236
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Right now I don't know what I'm doing. No, not that bad, but my dog had a seizure Monday night. I went to the doc yesterday. Today I'm just hoping to put my feet up and pretend the past day or two didn't happen! No, I'm just kidding. Right now I'm reading this and thinking of hoping to get acouple hours of sleep. Insomnia, what can you do?
How's doggie? I hope today is a great day with a great nap.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #6237
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Read your post too fast, almost thought you had a seizure
Hope doggy's ok?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:54 PM   #6238
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm about to dash out the door for a massage.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #6239
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Ummmm, taxlady, that sounds lovely.

Right now I'm in the throes of getting meals, etc. organized for when I have my right knee replaced early next month.

So far, I've made and frozen a dozen entrees and have the ingredients ready for three more. That should take care of all we'll need initially, along with whatever friends and family bring.

The meals have been easy because I've just been making a little more each dinner and set aside half for the freezer.

Everything's labeled and a sheet with each meal listed is posted on the freezer for easy reference.

What I have to turn my attention to next are breads and some sort of freezable desserts. Glenn LOVES homemade bread and his sweet tooth needs feeding from time to time.

In a few minutes I think I'm going to take my audio player and head to the hammock on the back porch to relax a bit and listen to my current book. Today's too lovely a day to waste it spending much time inside.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #6240
Chef Extraordinaire

It all started last March. I went for my yearly eye exam. They found that the cataracts were ripe and ready for surgery. After one disaster after another, I still have them. And no surgery.

Well I got a phone call this morning. They are going back to square one. I got clearance from my cardio doc and start the process again on the 25th.

Problem No. one solved. Lets see how far it goes this time. On to problem No. two. Since I stopped working, I was getting most of my office supplies from my daughter. Mostly a package of paper. One would last me about six months or so. I just fed the last of what I had on hand into the printer. Daughter is not working. Looks like I will have to buy my own paper. Staples here I come.

I wish Indian Summer would make up its mind. One day it is hot, then next, cold enough for a winter coat. this is the time of year when you don't know how to dress.