What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Milking the cane, huh?? :LOL:

I dyed my hair because some fella, older than me, carried all my laundry and soap into the laundromat, he thought I needed the help...

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

On Thursday I got on the rapid transit train and had barely gotten on when this 20 something young man stood up and gave me his seat. He must have seen my cane getting on ahead of me. :ROFLMAO: Well, at the next stop a young woman got on with no cane but an obvious disability. I even offered her my seat but she said no way! There was another 20 something guy in the other accessible seat and she asked if he was handicapped and he said "no, why". She told him she was and needed the seat. He spent the rest of the half hour trip pretending to be a sleep. Someone else gave her a seat. When the young man "woke up", she had taken a picture of him to send to the transit authority. He said he didn't know why everyone was ganging up on him and how could he know she was disabled if he was asleep. About a half a dozen people (including me) said "BECAUSE SHE TOLD YOU SO AND YOU WERE AWAKE!" He took off very fast...we are sure it wasn't even his stop :ermm:. I doubt he will ever make this same mistake again.:LOL:

that'll most definitely get a young guy's attention.

or any guy's attention, especially with tongue in cheek... ;)

LOL!! I don't care if it is tongue in cheek or an honest good Samaritan :). In two days I had two young men help me out. I think I will stop dying my hair to get the grey out and save money on wrinkle cream! Just don't tell DH! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I am handicapped and I use it all the time to my advantage. I have even had a full blown arguement with a big burly truck driver. He finally saw it my way. He was blocking a handicap access and refused to remove his truck. It wasn't until I pulled out my cell phone and threatened to call the RMV and the police that he moved his truck. It would have been a $500 dollar fine for him and then again for the company.

My daughter works for the RMV and I have reported more than one person parked illegally in handicap spaces. It pays to know people in high places.:)

We are going out tonight to a fancy fund raiser. I havve to go & find something decent to wear, these things are not my thing. It should be an interesting evening.

I was thinking of using it on public transit. I have osteoporosis and I don't want to stand while the bus is moving and risk falling down.

You shouldn't have to hit some young kid with a cane in order to get a seat on the bus!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Who raises these people!

I have a cane from one of the times I injured my leg. I have been tempted to use it on occasion.

Use it. If there is a possibility of injuring your leg again, then it is better to be safe than sorry. And you may be more comfortable walking with it.

When my leg was at its worse, I was in a wheelchair. I didn't wan't to go out in public with it. So I tried my darndest to walk. All I did was damage it more. Hard lesson to learn. It could have cost me my leg.:)

Use it. If there is a possibility of injuring your leg again, then it is better to be safe than sorry. And you may be more comfortable walking with it.

When my leg was at its worse, I was in a wheelchair. I didn't wan't to go out in public with it. So I tried my darndest to walk. All I did was damage it more. Hard lesson to learn. It could have cost me my leg.:)

Thanks for the warning. My legs are fine at the moment. I have broken my kneecap twice, broken toes, sprained my foot, sprained my ankle. All injuries where a cane is handy until they are healed.

Thanks for the warning. My legs are fine at the moment. I have broken my kneecap twice, broken toes, sprained my foot, sprained my ankle. All injuries where a cane is handy until they are healed.
I totally agree with Addie. Taxlady, if you don't need it, that is wonderful, but don't be afraid to use it either. I am not one to harp on my "different abilities", but when it comes to transit or crowded places I see no reason not to use my cane to get what I need.

Just yesterday I was in a store (Winners for us Canadians!) that a friend of ours manages. I was heading to the tills and he was behind the service desk. He came around and was talking to me and all of a sudden said "where is your cane?" I said that I left it at home today as it needed a rest from all my trips into Vancouver. But then seriously told him that I am using it when necessary and leaving it in the car at other times "just in case". It is a freeing feeling.

I thought I would feel really guilty using it on the trains and buses, but when I see how some people react I am glad I do. If I fell on any type of moving transit I could do severe damage to my back and/or leg. It just isn't worth the pride thing!

Just getting ready to unload my drumset from the truck from a gig last night. Didn't feel like doing it in the cold at 2:00 a.m. Then, clean up the joint for a weekend visitor.
I had a friend who was percussionist in a reggae band and one summer I went along on a few gigs and helped him set up and take down his kit. Other than the normal kit like yours, he had every drum and percussion instrument known to the Caribbean! Not the easiest things to move, but I got accommodation, concerts and food for free! :rolleyes:

going to put meat in one serving packs. takes awhile. i too have a cane. the only time i use it any more is shopping. and then it depends on the place. the mall has floors that look very shiny and slick. i use it there. and always when i go somewhere in the dark.

I had a friend who was percussionist in a reggae band and one summer I went along on a few gigs and helped him set up and take down his kit. Other than the normal kit like yours, he had every drum and percussion instrument known to the Caribbean! Not the easiest things to move, but I got accommodation, concerts and food for free! :rolleyes:
Gotta love free food!! I normally keep a set in my truck all year because I use it almost every week. But I needed the truck today, so I had to take the drumset out. Just a small standard set, thankfully. Only a few trips...

Gotta love free food!! I normally keep a set in my truck all year because I use it almost every week. But I needed the truck today, so I had to take the drumset out. Just a small standard set, thankfully. Only a few trips...

my grandson's have a small band. they are called "Talk Like June" they do country rock and just country. they have been playing gigs around here for quite awhile. the oldest one plays the drums and has a van to lug the drums around. the wife of the youngest is singer and song writer. they are really pretty good. you can find them on facebook. i am proud of their ability to juggle jobs, children and the band.

my grandson's have a small band. they are called "Talk Like June" they do country rock and just country. they have been playing gigs around here for quite awhile. the oldest one plays the drums and has a van to lug the drums around. the wife of the youngest is singer and song writer. they are really pretty good. you can find them on facebook. i am proud of their ability to juggle jobs, children and the band.

i just had a listen to your grandsons' band, babetoo. it's a good sound--nice vocals and some bluegrass flavor to it, too (who she is). do you go to see them perform? you must be proud of those boys and their girls, too.:)

Milking the cane, huh?? :LOL:

I dyed my hair because some fella, older than me, carried all my laundry and soap into the laundromat, he thought I needed the help...

I'm amused because I'm often offered at the supermarket to "have somebody help you out with that?" Sometimes it's just a small bag with a loaf of bread and a steak or something like that. I've wondered if they aren't asking every customer that, or is it ageism? Nevertheless I've only been taken up with it at Trader Joe's Market when I'm buying cases of wine. I've often hurt my back carrying them in from car to house, and often break them open and take the bottles 2-3 at a time inside for parking. I like to have TJ's load them into my car, and it's a bonus that they take the cart back. (I always take my cart back anyway, I think it's rude to leave the cart maybe in the next parking place.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom