What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Watching my husband tally up the damage done to our car last night. As we were driving to the theatre awards function a young guy in a pick-up truck nearly T-boned us but, instead because of Glenn's driving skills, ran us off the road. Came close to rolling the car but avoided that and wound up jumping a big ditch and taking someone's mailbox off with our passenger side rear view mirror. Unfortunately, in doing so both passenger doors are roached, along with the mirror.

It's going to be a costly repair because our car is a big Lincoln and the paint is a stinker to match. Glenn says, if the insurance company gets involved, they will likely total our car. NOOOOOOOO!!! I love Speedy, named so because we acquired it so quickly. I'm hoping for the best. At least neither one of us was hurt.

We made it to the awards show and had a lovely time.

Scary Katie, glad you guys are all right! Did the driver of the pick up get caught?

Scary Katie, glad you guys are all right! Did the driver of the pick up get caught?

Yes. At first he denied doing anything, but he couldn't get out of it because of the blatant evidence left by all the skidding, torn up ditches, bashed (ruined) mailbox, the damage to our car, etc. I have a feeling he was doing something like texting when it happened because we were the only other vehicle, besides his, on the road and it was daylight, even though we had our lights on. It was overcast and Glenn, because of experience riding the motorcycle, turns on headlights as a precautionary measure under those conditions.

wow Katie, we have a lot to be thankful for today, right?! so glad that you and glenn are uninjured, that 'speedy' is a large, solid car that helped keep you safe, that glenn is a skillful driver, and that serendipity was with you on this day. and let's not overlook the special reflexive reactions in near-collision situations of an experienced motorcyclist....life is yours in a special way today, Katie, hugs....

it is derby day today--have you picked the winner?:)

Last edited:
That's good. We're lucky and he's lucky, it could have been much worse. Again, glad you and Glenn are okay.

wow Katie, we have a lot to be thankful for today, right?! so glad that you and glen are uninjured, that 'speedy' is a large, solid car that helped keep you safe, that glen is a skillful driver, and that serendipity was with you on this day. and let's not overlook the special reflexive reactions in near-collision situations of an experienced motorcyclist....life is yours in a special way today, Katie, hugs....

it is derby day today--have you picked the winner?:)

Thank you, yes, Speedy is a nice hulk of a car and Glenn is one of the most capable drivers I've ever ridden with, both on a bike and in a car.

Yep, you're right, it's Derby Day. No, haven't picked a winner but our silver julep cups are polished and ready. We'll be front and center in the living room when the race is on TV. It's always a great show.

Derby Day...been waiting all week, this year I'm hoping on a jockey, Rosie Napravnik. She is funny and deserves the win, she will be atop Mylute..

Just got back from the local greenhouse. Only purchased 4 flats of plants, we're cutting back from our usual 8 or so. We like to pick a cruddy day before Mother's Day to avoid the crowds and get there before everything is picked over, and it worked out great today.

Got my maters, peppers, Magilla Perilla, and a bunch of other stuff. Will wait for awhile to plant, the soil is too wet and cold and it's still raining.

At $1.89/pound I would buy two roasts and slice one up for chops! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This was my first thought, too. It's the same cut. I don't understand why the roast cut from the loin would be cheaper than the whole loin... but then maybe that will be explained in the next two pages...

... or not, lol.

Last edited:
Did you enjoy your evening out Katie (apart from on the way there of course) and did your brother get any awards?

Did you enjoy your evening out Katie (apart from on the way there of course) and did your brother get any awards?

Oh, thanks, Kylie. Yes, we had a wonderful time. The food and "smoozing" company was super. I was able to visit with my brother, who used to live within minutes of me but, by last October, had moved to Nashville. It was great to see him.

No, he didn't win in any of the categories in which he was nominated, but he was the presenter for some and did a great job.

That all sounds wonderful Katie :)

That is a shame that your brother did not win any awards, I bet he is very talented! The presenting job sounds great though!

So pleased you all had a lovely evening :)

image-1478992435.jpg

Sorry, took the pic in the dark. It looks like a coleus, but it's not. I've grown it for many years, love it. It's a great container plant, and I love the name. It has flowers like a coleus, but I pick them off. The coleus at the bottom of the pic is Fishnet Stockings, also a fun plant!

Last edited:
View attachment 17836

Sorry, took the pic in the dark. It looks like a coleus, but it's not. I've grown it for many years, love it. It's a great container plant. It has flowers like a coleus, but I pick them off. The coleus at the bottom of the pic is Fishnet Stockings, also a fun plant!
Yeah, it looks like the leaves are smoother than coleus. So, flowers? Square stem?

Yeah, it looks like the leaves are smoother than coleus. So, flowers? Square stem?

It's a member of the mint family, an annual, holds up well in heat, and handles sun or shade. Flowers are insignificant, like coleus. It can get pretty big and tall, and does well in containers. I use it in mixed planting whiskey barrels.

Back
Top Bottom