What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and I'm heading down to the basement to wash and dry my Graylocks - cuz they ain't "Goldi-" anymore. :neutral: I figure even if it's cool enough to do it in the upstairs bathroom I have everything all set up downstairs. I always wash it in the basement - the utility tub down there is easier to lean in to than the bathtub, plus the water pressure is marginally better. Next time you see me I'll be all bee-yoo-tee-full! Or at least my hair will be clean. :LOL:

That looks great!

Geez Dawg, I hope everything works out OK for you and Beagle. If you need to go away to recuperate you guys can always go rest here:

i-fded69a59e7857bcc8370c14c77c1076-dog-bark-inn-lg.jpg

I saw a story about this place, Dog Bark Park Inn | Dog Folk Art Chainsaw Gallery | Cottonwood Idaho USA on the news and though of you right away!

PS ~ I want bakechef's lunch too. :yum:

I would be very surprised if I have missed any! :LOL: They are heavily advertised here, so I would have had to be locked up in a dungeon with no TV to have missed one! I also have his biography and a couple of his cookery books. I have something like 170ish cookery books mind you, and I really only use about 5 or 6 on a regular basis. (Plus I get most of my recipes online these days).

Katy, I have now got Gordon's ebook, Humble Pie, I will start reading it once I finish the ebook I am on now :)

He does have a follow up one called Playing With Fire, apparently that one is more about his restaurants, his staff, tips on how to run a successful business, things like that...not sure if I need to read that one, but I may :)

DL--good idea to get that second opinion. No offense, but a new grad...

And what am I doing today? Planning the picnic lunch for tomorrow at the farm. So far, I've made mayo...plan on doing egg salad sandwiches on a whole wheat...pita or kaiser. Haven't made the bread, yet. Have to run into the village to get yeast. And, I'm thinking some Vietnamese rolls stuffed with shrimp, radish sprouts, zucchini, and whatever else I find in the garden (okay, the shrimp is from the freezer) and a sort of sweet-sour dipping sauce. Thinking about some sort of cookie for dessert...

I was trimming branches from my maple shrub... until I saw this :shock:
2013-07-27_10-03-21_15 (Small).jpg
That would explain where the dead hornets in my driveway have been coming from.
So I went into the house and ate a big bowl of spaghetti, green beans and garlic bread. You know, to mull things over :rolleyes:

View attachment 18343
So I went into the house and ate a big bowl of spaghetti, green beans and garlic bread. You know, to mull things over :rolleyes:
Oh dear.

We had good luck with some stuff from Raid for hornets. You wait until dusk or dark, when the wasps are less active, then you spray them from 10 feet away. I had Stirling do it, all wrapped up and with all but his eyes covered. Turned out that it wasn't necessary.

IMG_1454.JPG

Wow! You'll have to save it when it's abandoned. A friend collects old hornet nests, they're pretty cool.

Oh dear.

We had good luck with some stuff from Raid for hornets. You wait until dusk or dark, when the wasps are less active, then you spray them from 10 feet away. I had Stirling do it, all wrapped up and with all but his eyes covered. Turned out that it wasn't necessary.

:LOL: Hope Stirling was able to get out of that garb!

That's hilarious, Linda!
Are you sure you just didn't dress him up like that for a photo op? :ROFLMAO:

I use drione dust. That's what I hit the one with in the first post here. It will be interesting to see if I need to hit this one more than once because of it's size. And if the hornets scramble to get their young out like before. For some reason the dust didn't kill the larvae.

And I'll probably leave it there. The one is still hanging onto the eave of my chicken coop and nothing has tried to build another hive there.

It would be a good use for my torch though :devilish:

so, where do the hornets get their masking tape or plaster of paris from? no, seriously, what is their nest material like? is it hard, strong, pretty, or intricate inside, what?

that is one cool outfit stirling was wearing! i'll bet he enjoyed dressing up too, right?

It's like paper, Vit. Crisp paper.
I'm not sure what they eat to be able to make it.

Yeah, I just read that.
I wonder where they go for the wood? You would think the tree would appear damaged if it was the same tree.

:LOL: Hope Stirling was able to get out of that garb!
I had to help. I helped him get into it.
That's hilarious, Linda!
Are you sure you just didn't dress him up like that for a photo op? :ROFLMAO:
No, I had been stung 12 times and it had made me ill. I was concerned. On the other hand, Stirling thinks it was for the photo op.
I use drione dust. That's what I hit the one with in the first post here. It will be interesting to see if I need to hit this one more than once because of it's size. And if the hornets scramble to get their young out like before. For some reason the dust didn't kill the larvae.

And I'll probably leave it there. The one is still hanging onto the eave of my chicken coop and nothing has tried to build another hive there.

It would be a good use for my torch though :devilish:
I guess the empty nest scares off other insects.

Back
Top Bottom