What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Too funny - I keep trying to get myself started on a regimen of regular yoga, weights and walking, and I even have a daily reminder on my electronic calendar with that very name lol I hope it goes better for you.

I got a book called "Flat Belly Yoga!", by Kimberly Fowler...it will get me started. I have a couple other books that are more intense. The Flat Belly is a 32 day program, teaching the poses and sequences as the month goes on. Not focused on reps, but holding poses correctly and safely.

I started an Online Journal and am keeping track of the time I am moving. Actually any moving I do at this point will be good for me.:LOL:

I love to ride my bike! Cat and I used to ride together with our dogs, and I sure do miss her. I do stretching exercises before I go.

Right now I'm herding three terrorist kittens. I thought it would be fun to have them in the computer room with me for a while.

Something is very, very wrong with me for thinking that!!

There are lots of different types and levels of yoga. For some advanced poses, the beginner's equivalent is lying on the floor doing some stretches.

Please, do you have any sun salutation sequences? You could start by doing a few reps of one of those for 5 or 10 minutes and then go for a walk.

This one?

Yes, I have several sun salutation sequences among the three books. Not quite there yet for many of the poses.

Just letting everyone know that mom and I are home.

So glad to hear this! I hope your Mom is feeling better. She will be able to get so much stronger at home. And you will feel so much better not having to go back and forth. Prayers and hugs for you both!

I got a book called "Flat Belly Yoga!", by Kimberly Fowler...it will get me started. I have a couple other books that are more intense. The Flat Belly is a 32 day program, teaching the poses and sequences as the month goes on. Not focused on reps, but holding poses correctly and safely.

I started an Online Journal and am keeping track of the time I am moving. Actually any moving I do at this point will be good for me.:LOL:

PF, I know it sounds silly, but one of the exercises I found to be really helpful in getting a flatter, tighter stomach is...

Any time you are laying down, watching television, or whenever, lift your legs up for about five to ten inches and hold them there. Count to five and let them down. Repeat as often as you feel comfortable. You will feel the thigh and stomach muscles pull. Little by little over time increase the count until you reach ten. In about two weeks you will notice a flatter stomach. Do it about twice. In an hour or longer repeat as often as you feel like. Or not.

You know that notice you get on the TV that interrupts your program at the worst time? We just got a tornado warning. I can hear the continuous thunder and it is getting closer and closer. This is unusual. This is the first time in years that I have felt nervous with the weather report. They keep beeping on my TV to get my attention. They have it! :angel:

I love to ride my bike! Cat and I used to ride together with our dogs, and I sure do miss her. I do stretching exercises before I go.

Right now I'm herding three terrorist kittens. I thought it would be fun to have them in the computer room with me for a while.

I miss riding my bike. I think it is the happiest memory I have of my childhood. Physical Therapy nixed the idea. Balance problem. :angel:

PF, I know it sounds silly, but one of the exercises I found to be really helpful in getting a flatter, tighter stomach is...

Any time you are laying down, watching television, or whenever, lift your legs up for about five to ten inches and hold them there. Count to five and let them down. Repeat as often as you feel comfortable. You will feel the thigh and stomach muscles pull. Little by little over time increase the count until you reach ten. In about two weeks you will notice a flatter stomach. Do it about twice. In an hour or longer repeat as often as you feel like. Or not.

You know that notice you get on the TV that interrupts your program at the worst time? We just got a tornado warning. I can hear the continuous thunder and it is getting closer and closer. This is unusual. This is the first time in years that I have felt nervous with the weather report. They keep beeping on my TV to get my attention. They have it! :angel:

The Yoga I am doing is working all the muscles in my core, not just the abdominals. It will be making me stronger all over, allow me to reach down, reach up, sit up and help with balance issues. So, just one exercise is not going to do it for me.

An exercise similar to what you describe is part of my sequence, thanks for thinking about me and my flabby belly.:ROFLMAO:

My back has been hurting for 3-4 days now. It's really annoying. I've had this happen before and it usually lasts for a day or two. This time it's hanging on longer. It only bothers me when I'm standing but that's sort of limiting. Tylenol doesn't really help.
Just checked and Tylenol is what we call paracetamol. I don't find it touches any sort of pain for me.

If you don't have any stomach problems and you aren't taking any other meds what about trying aspirin ( yes, I know "they" get in a flat spin about it but it works for me) or Ibuprofen. Both are anti-inflammatories and often I find you need that with muscle and joint pain. If it's really bad you may be able to get either combined with codeine but don't take that for very long as the codeine can cause nasties. I'm only making suggestions based on my experiences, not advising you.

You have my sympathy. I've had problems with my hip for a few years now and have a lot of related muscular pain. I was advised to try Pilates so I went to a class to see how I got on. It was a very basic beginners class with mostly floor work and it was fine - I was advised only to do as much as was comfortable. Then - I tried to get up off the floor and couldn't! (Stop laughing at the back, there!) I eventually made it after about 5 minutes. Decided Pilates wasn't for me.

I have a 17 year old non-terrorist senior cat. He ignored me when Mom and I got home but as soon as Mom got settled in her chair he was right into her lap wanting lovings - on HIS terms. :rolleyes:

Mom has a 9:45am doctor appointment with her PCP - they were slammed at their office today so he got the hospitalist that he works with to call him, went over her file then she came to talk with us. She has 6 days of antibiotics to take, she has to cut out her ibuprofin and aleve, and all vitamns except her 1-a-day woman's multivitamin until after she has bloodwork done in a week.

Yea! Now you can both get some sleep!

I will probably sleep better tonight. She called me at 5am today. She couldn't remember if I wanted her to call me at 5 or 6. She's trying to get back on her regular schedule before Wednesday night, because she wants to go back to work then. :rolleyes: We'll wait and see what the Dr says.

I am an abject failure. :( We had a nice snorkel yesterday, and I fired up the GoPro camera on a long retractable stick thing. I pushed a button that seemed to turn it on, and that looked like it would take a nice long underwater video, and dragged it along on its stick, putting it in all sorts of crevices, pictures of fish, and poking it in DH's face. I ran the battery out. Got it back to replay, and there's nothing there. No video. I pushed the wrong buttons or something.

The manual that came with it is worthless. I need to watch some YouTube videos.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

So glad to hear this! I hope your Mom is feeling better. She will be able to get so much stronger at home. And you will feel so much better not having to go back and forth. Prayers and hugs for you both!

Thank you so much. She is feeling much better, in bed right now trying to stay on her work schedule as much as possible so when she goes back to work she won't play heck trying to get back on it. She works as the night auditor at a local Comfort Inn.

Addie, I hope you and everyone in the Boston area is OK. We here in EC had 3 small tornadoes go through the Friday night after Easter, but our house didn't get any damage, just lots of pine cones in the yard from neighbors trees. Also had tornado warnings go off Friday night during Awful Arthur's trip through our neck of the woods, but no damage here.

I am an abject failure. :( We had a nice snorkel yesterday, and I fired up the GoPro camera on a long retractable stick thing. I pushed a button that seemed to turn it on, and that looked like it would take a nice long underwater video, and dragged it along on its stick, putting it in all sorts of crevices, pictures of fish, and poking it in DH's face. I ran the battery out. Got it back to replay, and there's nothing there. No video. I pushed the wrong buttons or something.

Yes, watch you tube for directions on how to use the Go Pro. Sorry your vid didn't turn out. You are NOT a failure...should have seen me with my regular digital camera today.

No you aren't a failure. The user manual was. I read the entire user manual, there wasn't much, for my new PowerPak. I found the online manual. The one that came with left out important stuff, like the next-to-invisible power switch. I needed a YouTube video.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! YouTube was needed to even get the thing out of its box!

Check the product website. They often have a more comprehensive owner's manual on their site that you can download.

Back
Top Bottom