What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm relaxing. And drinking wine - which is helping with the relaxing. Over the last three days I disassembled a shelving unit Himself made when we were living in our apartment, moved a couple pieces of furniture around, and decided I didn't like the layout after all. I spend today (Friday) shuffling furniture around, swapping a couple of pieces, and reassembling the shelving unit. Most stuff has been put back, I have free shelves for a few of my appliances that have been residing in the basement, and the kitchen is slowly becoming more workable. Last job is to scrub and then rub with furniture oil an old dresser of my great aunt - I'm repurposing it to almost all of my spoons/turners/rubber scrapers/whisks/etc that now reside in nearly half a dozen baskets and pitchers. My kitchen is sorely lacking in drawers.

CG, when you built this house, didn't you take into consideration your future needs?

When my son built his house, he made it so that his son had the biggest bedroom. It was his playroom, with a desk to sit and color or do homework. And his wife designed her own kitchen. Gobs and gobs of room for everything. And plenty of sockets throughout the house. For Poo's office bookshelves on three of the walls. These were some of the issues they found lacking in the two houses they had bought.

***WARNING*** Mini-rant ahead

CG, when you built this house, didn't you take into consideration your future needs?...
Dear, sweet, innocent Addie, you have absolutely no idea how out-of-whack housing prices are in the greater-greater-Boston area are compared to most of the rest of the country. Let me clue you in:

When we moved here our primary "future needs" were of a financial nature. We did not want to buy/build a house that would require a larger mortgage than we were carrying. We left a 2,549 square foot home with four bedrooms, two and a half baths including our master bath/closet area that measured 14x14 feet and had a vaulted ceiling with a half-round window above the working windows and a plant ledge where the closet/"throne room" walls topped out before that vaulted ceiling, a formal dining room with a tray ceiling, a formal living room with a vaulted ceiling and that same kind of half-round window above the living room windows, a "Great Room" with a huge walk-through work area and half-vault dinette with bay, walk-out door, a giant family area with a fireplace and the back half of it half-vaulted, an open loft upper hall that still had room for a king-size air mattress even though we already had my sewing machine up there along with floor-to-ceiling twin bookshelves and a rocking chair. Off of that hall were the kids bedrooms along with a guest room for a total of four bedrooms. The kids' bath upstairs was large enough to set up two folding tables and serve dinner for eight...not that we would EVER do that! :LOL: But it was large. Full basement, too, although not finished. Quality cabinets, real wood trimwork, a showplace of a home. And it had a 2 1/2 car garage with pull-down steps to access storage space. We lived in a very nice neighborhood in a desirable neighborhood about 22 miles from downtown Cleveland - a place similar in distance and housing to Hopkinton. Except unlike here, our city services were all in place: things like city water and sewer, city contracted trash and full recycling for a quarterly fee, and wide modern roads with *gasp* street signs. And what did it sell for? $196,333. Remember that number.

We looked at a new house in Hopkinton, about the same size, layout, and basic quality of materials. Sitting down? It was priced at $420,000. No, I did not mistype that number. Now I will admit that about $40,000 of that was for a state-of-the-art septic system...but it was a septic system. No, thanks.

We bought what we could, where we could, with the same mortgage we were carrying. Why not build bigger/better? Well, we didn't need bigger since we had "lost" two kids in the move, thereby not needing a room for each of them so a three-bedroom worked. Plus, Himself did not get any kind of raise in spite of the cost of living in MA compared to where we lived was going to cost us about 15-20% more. Auto insurance alone! :glare: The two of us with a car each and clean driving records was about $200 less than we paid in OH...where we also had two teen-aged drivers EACH with their own car on our family policy. Good thing the kids didn't move - they never would have been allowed to get behind a wheel.

BTW, this house here is 1,806 square feet, 7 1/2 foot ceilings everywhere, basic cabinets, wood molding that looks like it came from apple crates, and a two-car garage with an intrusive steps-and-platform arrangement since our garage floor is about 1/2 story lower than our house's first floor. This house here? $191,638 - a difference in cost of less than $5,000, but a huge, reduced difference in quality and location.

Our home prior to this one was not lacking for anything. This house was built as a temporary stopping point for us. Besides, it's not like I've been building cabinets and counter tops for the last three days. All I've been doing is rearranging what I have in place that has worked for me for over a decade, just trying to make it a bit more efficient and accommodate an an additional piece of furniture to hold the additional kitchen things I added over those years.

Hey, Addie, I bet you're sorry you asked.

Boston area housing prices are more expensive. Like housing in San Francisco, New York, Miami, Honolulu areas. Desirability has a price.

I'm getting ready to cut up and "weave" bacon into squares and cook them on our griddler in anticipation of BLTs tonight. I have two pounds of bacon and will put what we don't use in the freezer. We'll have plenty of tomatoes to have more of those yummy sandwiches and I plan on being prepared.

Attachments

• 001 - Copy (3).jpg
    001 - Copy (3).jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 113
Oh, Katie, those look so good. :yum: I've never tried that, but I should. You say you cook them on the griller? Haven't tried that, either, but I will!

Happy to entertain, PF. I'll be here all week month yea...aw, who am I kidding. I'll be here forever. :D

But... Did you have a sunroom in Ohio?
No, but that sunroom was an addition to the original structure - at additional cost. The unit alone was around $32,000. Then you have the cost for getting our handyman contractor to do the site prep (construct the deck-frame construction for the unit to be placed on, remove house siding and reuse it to side the little bit of non-glass portion of sunroom exterior) and finish work. And, finally, carpeting. We added the sunroom knowing we will never recover the nearly $40,000 expense, but we have enjoyed it since having it installed. Just last night, in fact.

Boston area housing prices are more expensive. Like housing in San Francisco, New York, Miami, Honolulu areas. Desirability has a price.
Desirability is in the eye of the beholder, Andy. All of you who love living along the coast are welcome to it. Besides, there's nothing really desirable about south-county Worcester. ;) We're about 60 miles from any shoreline, unless you're counting one of the inland lakes. They don't count since I can see the opposite shore. But like the ocean, I can't see land (Canada) from the shore of Lake Erie. The bonus is I don't come out of the lake feeling all sticky from salty ocean water, either. :LOL:

Living in MA has been a nice enough vacation. I'm ready to return home to the reality that I've known for most of my life, though. Little did I know how old I would feel when the time came around to get the house ready for market. Eventually we'll go home, eventually.

Last edited:
I made a typo, Katie. I meant griDler. ? I've had mine for at least a decade and love it. Now, did you use the flat plates or the ridged ones?

Last edited:
I made a typo, Katie. I meant griDler. ? I've had mine for at least a decade and love it. Now, did you use the flat plates or the ridged ones?

I used the ridged plates because it allows the grease to flow away more freely. Before we got the griddler, I used our waffle iron.

One of the benefits of preparing the bacon this way is that cooking it in this manner presses the pieces (kind of welds) together. Makes a nice solid large sandwich-sized sheet of bacon.

To cut the bacon easily, I slice at the halfway point across all the pieces, right through the plastic packaging, and weave. The trickiest part is transferring the uncooked woven bacon to the griddler. It's trial and error and something you'll have to find what works best for you.

Going to try an acupuncture treatment today. Hubby has finally wore me down to at least try another alternative.

It's my first time. Might be my last if she gets stupid and picks me and hurts me.:LOL:

Anyone here ever try it? How did it go?

Going to try an acupuncture treatment today. Hubby has finally wore me down to at least try another alternative.

It's my first time. Might be my last if she gets stupid and picks me and hurts me.:LOL:

A young M.D. used one acupuncture needle on me for an inflammation in an inflamed muscle in my bum. It didn't hurt, just a small prick sensation. It didn't seem to do anything for the inflammation.

I tried it for intractable chronic headache. The doctor was an MD who works in the same clinic as my family doctor, who recommended him (although I don't think my family doc believes in acupuncture; he knew I was out of other options and that it wouldn't hurt). The only medication that prevents my headaches also damages my small intestine.

Don't kid yourself - it will hurt. It's like getting a whole lot of shots. After the needles are inserted, the doctor said I needed to lie quietly for about 20 minutes. I have a guided meditation app called Simply Being on my phone, so I listened to that during that time. I did this for about four months but it didn't help.

Here's the app, if you're interested: Apps — Meditation Oasis

Last edited:
Back in the '70s, my tai chi teacher, an old Chinese man who was also a doctor of Chinese medicine, did some acupressure on me. He told me how to explain to my boyfriend how to do it. He also told me to do some specific visualization. It took care of the problem.

Back in the '70s, my tai chi teacher, an old Chinese man who was also a doctor of Chinese medicine, did some acupressure on me. He told me how to explain to my boyfriend how to do it. He also told me to do some specific visualization. It took care of the problem.

The doctor who does acupuncture at my doctor's clinic is from NYC. He learned acupuncture from Chinese doctors in NY's Chinatown. So he's well qualified, considering it's not proven medicine.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

Just got home from my HS reunion. A very long road trip, but it was a blast! Got to see so many old friends and lots of family members. I didn't get any speeding tickets either (thank you, Garmin GPS and cruise control!). Now to catch up on DC.

The doctor who does acupuncture at my doctor's clinic is from NYC. He learned acupuncture from Chinese doctors in NY's Chinatown. So he's well qualified, considering it's not proven medicine.

I'm glad you're feeling better.
So am I. MDs had told me the only hope to deal with it was surgery and that it might not do any good. But this was acupressure, not acupuncture.

Last edited:
I tried it for intractable chronic headache. The doctor was an MD who works in the same clinic as my family doctor, who recommended him (although I don't think my family doc believes in acupuncture; he knew I was out of other options and that it wouldn't hurt). The only medication that prevents my headaches also damages my small intestine.

Don't kid yourself - it will hurt. It's like getting a whole lot of shots. After the needles are inserted, the doctor said I needed to lie quietly for about 20 minutes. I have a guided meditation app called Simply Being on my phone, so I listened to that during that time. I did this for about four months but it didn't help.

Here's the app, if you're interested: Apps — Meditation Oasis

All went well GG. Thank you for the app. It's been d/l'd to my phone for home use. The Dr showed me a trick that will help me to relax and not get all tensed up that's been setting off my shoulders and back pain.

The acupuncture went went better that I had expected it to go.
The Dr had spent many years in China learning the practice. She was good. I only felt one little sting. She took that needle out real quick. Inserted a smaller one. She helped me more in one session than the Chiropractor had been doing. I left his office in more pain than when I walked in. It wasn't working. He was good, tried to help me, but I think my size body scared him. He always made the comment "she's tiny, I don't want to hurt or break her bones!" Having my husband standing over him to make sure that never happened probably made him nervous.:ohmy::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom