"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...I kinda have to operate my refrigerator the same way some city folk have to save their freshly shoveled parking spot - put something in it when the "car" is gone. (Boston area posters will get this right away - if you're confused you can google it of course)
hmmm, that must like the way some country folk tie lawn chairs together in a string alongside the road to reserve their spot for the town parade

Old 04-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
hmmm, that must like the way some country folk tie lawn chairs together in a string alongside the road to reserve their spot for the town parade
That is done here as well.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

Or when folks at a resort with a pool put their towels on the prize real estate chaise lounges at 5 am and go back to bed, returning after noon.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't think of any right now. I'll check with DH and get back to you
Old 04-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

mine are not quirks, they are features.

they're what make me special.

just as my mom...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
No crumbs in the butter!

I tend to invest my memories of people into things they once owned or gifts they have given to me.
for me, it's no hair or anything else on soap. <<shudder>>
i cannot stand even one shaved leg hair on a bar of soap in the shower.
but my legs do look fabulous, though.

but really, i also remember who gave me what gift, and attach a sentimental importance to the object that's burned into my memory forever.

it often takes me a long time to use something given to me by a loved one, especially if that loved one has passed away. i have an awful lot of fishing lures that will never be used for fear of losing them.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am not human when I wake up in the morning, takes me an hour for my brain to start functioning. I'm not in a bad mood, I'm not in a good mood, there is nothing there. I get the cats fed, check my blood sugar and pressure, take my meds, make coffee and breakfast, eat and boot up the computer...all on auto-pilot. If something gets in my way...it can take me ten minutes to get back on track. Once my brain wakes up, I'm fine and ready to start the day.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

For things that run out, I leave the container on the kitchen counter and it doesn't get thrown away until it is on my grocery list (in the other room).

I call it a nag. I leave things out where they don't belong to nag me to do something.

For my crochet, I leave it in sight of my hangout spot to "nag" me to pick it up and work on it.

I also learned to never stop at the end of a row. It's too easy to ignore it once you put it down. I try to stop in the middle of a row, which is surprisingly hard. I usually end up working another several rows before I can put it down.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

We too have the spices in alphabetical order, it is the law
Old 04-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I can't go to sleep if I have finished a book, I have to be involved in the next book, even if just by one page.

I keep my medications in a lunchbox, unless I can't get another week set-up, I leave them out to remind me to call for refills.

I have dry-erase boards on the inside of the pantry and the linen closet...one for groceries, one for soap, deodorant, toothpaste, OTC meds, etc. I write how many are in there and do a count down on the boards. I get down to one and put it it on the next shopping list. I have the lists set up for what store I buy the item.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
For things that run out, I leave the container on the kitchen counter and it doesn't get thrown away until it is on my grocery list (in the other room).

I call it a nag. I leave things out where they don't belong to nag me to do something.

For my crochet, I leave it in sight of my hangout spot to "nag" me to pick it up and work on it....
My old van would "ding" if you left the headlights on and opened the door. If you left the keys in the ignition and opened the door. For all kinds of things if you forgot and did something else. Since I drove it most of the time I did what I needed to do before the warning "ding". The headlights were the biggest issue. Himself has a car with an automatic setting for the headlights. They do it all on their own. When he'd use my car and it would "ding" at him he's call it the Wife Car. Not because it was his wife's van, but because it would nag him. I still let him live...so far.

BTW, my new car has automatic headlights.