What Else Are You Making?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rocklobster said:
I have started painting. I am using small 5x7 canvases and acrylic paints. I have never done this before but it is fun.

Out of curiosity, are you drawing on the canvas first or painting directly? Are you using liquid acrylics or paste acrylics? What kinds of things are you painting? Do you draw or have other artistic experience? Are you taking a class or self teaching and are you using any books or web sites as guides?

Liquid acrylics and tempura (essentially "adult" poster paints) are tied as my least favorite paints to work with. They dry so quickly and often come out flakey, I have trouble getting a result that I like. Paste acrylics aren't as bad and I find them easier to blend and mix but they still dry very quickly. They also have the advantage of being easy to paint over so if you botch a section of your work, or even just decide that you don't like what you had planned, you get a do-over.

I miss painting so much. I can't wait until we are ahead of the bills enough that I can start expanding my collection of art supplies to include paints and canvas again. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Paint a tree and think of me. :) Also, if you're comfortable sharing, I'd love to see pictures of what you've created.

Katie H said:
Thanks, pag. I love playing with flowers. The front bath arrangement has a bit of a history as it is made from a large portion of the flowers that were in an arrangement that the mods/staff sent me when Buck died. That (huge) arrangement was one of the most beautiful I've ever seen and I saved all the salvageable parts of it as a keepsake. Then, one day, I was rummaging around looking for something pretty to put in that (in the pic) container, I came across the pieces I'd saved. It was as if they were meant to go together.

I always have something in the back and front door areas and especially make them fun during holidays for the grandchildren.

They look lovely together.

Dear PAG,
I have never had a lesson or evenf tried it before I painted that red one. I just squirted different paints on and blended them together with a brush and then smudged it around using plastic wrap. Pretty technical, eh? I am not sure what type of paints they are. Like I said I pay a buck a bottle and some I get 8 tubes for a buck. So, there you have it. I will attempt to paint a tree for you. I am going to attempt to paint a picture of my brothers cabin and give it to him for his birthday. There are quite a few trees around it so I will have to get my Group of Seven face on...Tom Thompson anybody???

Last edited:
Rocklobster said:
Dear PAG,
I have never had a lesson or evenf tried it before I painted that red one. I just squirted different paints on and blended them together with a brush and then smudged it around using plastic wrap. Pretty technical, eh? I am not sure what type of paints they are. Like I said I pay a buck a bottle and some I get 8 tubes for a buck. So, there you have it. I will attempt to paint a tree for you. I am going to attempt to paint a picture of my brothers cabin and give it to him for his birthday. There are quite a few trees around it so I will have to get my Group of Seven face on...Tom Thompson anybody???

Awesome! I love abstracts and the red one is very stricking. One of the great things about art is it doesn't have to be technical. If you are going to paint objects I would recommend doing a quick web search for beginner tutorials on shading and light, and beginner tutorials on perspective. You don't need them to figure out how to paint but they help and there are often useful tips and tricks in them. The most important thing though is to play and experiment, which is what you're already doing, and not "study" so much that it's no longer fun. Good luck with the log cabin painting, I hope it turns out beautifully. I'm excited to see what else you come up with (I love art at all levels!).

Katie,
your flowerals are lovely. I've been wanting to make one for the dinning room table, with lavenders and maybe a touch of purple.I have one in pale blues and whites on a dresser in the living room. Have been tempted to change it.Just need to get eye #2 done then it's full steam ahead:LOL:
kades

Those are gorgeous Katie. How did you learn to do that?

I'm self-taught, but I'm a retired interior designer and some of my training helps. Plus, for a favor for a friend who owned a florist shop, I helped design flowers for her for several weddings, Valentine's Day events, proms, etc.

I love unusual things and repurpose many things. For example, the ornate iron stand that the front entry arrangements stand atop is a tabletop gazing ball stand. I bought it because I loved the color and shape and figured I create a way to use it. And I did.

You can't really see it too well, but the front door flowers are in a beautiful wrought iron garden hose holder. Again, I saw it and brought it home with a future use in mind. I had it on the lower third of my old screen door in my 1880's house before I moved to this house. I've never been a "wreath person" and I look for alternative ways to decorate my front door.

Katie H said:
I'm self-taught, but I'm a retired interior designer and some of my training helps. Plus, for a favor for a friend who owned a florist shop, I helped design flowers for her for several weddings, Valentine's Day events, proms, etc.

I love unusual things and repurpose many things. For example, the ornate iron stand that the front entry arrangements stand atop is a tabletop gazing ball stand. I bought it because I loved the color and shape and figured I create a way to use it. And I did.

You can't really see it too well, but the front door flowers are in a beautiful wrought iron garden hose holder. Again, I saw it and brought it home with a future use in mind. I had it on the lower third of my old screen door in my 1880's house before I moved to this house. I've never been a "wreath person" and I look for alternative ways to decorate my front door.

Beautiful, Katie!

Rock, am liking the paintings!

So, I have this thing for drawing trees. They're relatively quick and easy to draw so they're good doodle material when I'm bored. I also have a couple "paint" apps on my phone. So combine various times when I've been bored and only had my phone for amusement and my love of doodling trees and you get these.

123011_162824.jpg

123111_115811.jpg

ForumRunner_20120405_224159.jpg

ForumRunner_20120405_224214.jpg

ForumRunner_20120405_224230.jpg

ForumRunner_20120405_224257.jpg

ForumRunner_20120405_224313.jpg

They're just quick, doodley sketchy things but they serve to illustrate my obssesion.

purple.alien.giraffe said:
So, I have this thing for drawing trees. They're relatively quick and easy to draw so they're good doodle material when I'm bored. I also have a couple "paint" apps on my phone. So combine various times when I've been bored and only had my phone for amusement and my love of doodling trees and you get these.

They're just quick, doodley sketchy things but they serve to illustrate my obssesion.

Very cool, Pag!

Dawgluver said:
Very cool, Pag!

Thanks!

Here are some of the various "brushes" availavle in the programs.

ForumRunner_20120405_225437.jpg

ForumRunner_20120405_225446.jpg

The programs actually give you some cool stuff to work with. You just have to be willing to let go of a certain amount of control and not be overly worried about precission. A lot of the brushes have some sort of randomness to them that you have to work with. It keeps things interesting and I find it a fun little challange to figure out how to maipulate that randomness to my advantage.

purple.alien.giraffe said:
Thanks!

Here are some of the various "brushes" availavle in the programs.

The programs actually give you some cool stuff to work with. You just have to be willing to let go of a certain amount of control and not be overly worried about precission. A lot of the brushes have some sort of randomness to them that you have to work with. It keeps things interesting and I find it a fun little challange to figure out how to maipulate that randomness to my advantage.

I have several drawing apps for iPad, you are inspiring me!

Very nice, PAG! I love them!

I had my eye on a pretty set of sheet for a while. Today while at Walmart I found one set of these sheets on the clearance table. For $13 I got a set of double sheets and pillow cases that match my color scheme.

I'll be making a set of cafe curtains to cover the lower part of my picture window. All I need now will be a tension rod to fit. Plus, I'll have plenty of that pretty fabric left over to play with.

I don't know. I feel like a kid in a toy store. We learned a few days ago that there'll be a second grandchild born into our family this year and I'm almost getting the shakes trying to figure out what and how many things to make for our new arrivals.

I had my eye on a pretty set of sheet for a while. Today while at Walmart I found one set of these sheets on the clearance table. For $13 I got a set of double sheets and pillow cases that match my color scheme.

I'll be making a set of cafe curtains to cover the lower part of my picture window. All I need now will be a tension rod to fit. Plus, I'll have plenty of that pretty fabric left over to play with.

I love making curtains out of bed sheets. It's so much cheaper than buying curtains ready made. I bought lace panels once and tacked them to lavender twin sheets, they were so nice in the guest room/office I had.

Sheets are so pretty and cheap too!

Walmart recently re-introduced a fabric department. Extremely expensive, very little selection. Ackkkkk!

I miss the old fabric departments where they used to have sports teams cotton available.

I don't know. I feel like a kid in a toy store. We learned a few days ago that there'll be a second grandchild born into our family this year and I'm almost getting the shakes trying to figure out what and how many things to make for our new arrivals.

Just remember Katie H not to work those fingers into pain. It can take the joy out of the making. :)

Back
Top Bottom