"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #441
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
i ordered fat quarters from clotide, lovely blues. will use some for pencil holders. the rest will be the houses on the appliqué pillow i will be making. i thought prints in blue would be great on the little yellow pillow. found some pillows for the couch, target on line. 2 for twelve on sale. i can't make them for that. can't wait to get new couch cover next week. i am on a roll. almost finished scarf. then will start an afagan for my oldest granddaughter. love to have several projects going at once.
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #442
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
I've seen quarters for sale at Walmart. What exactly are they, Babe? What's a fat quarter?
__________________

__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #443
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
they are generous 1/4 yards of fabric. often they are in a package of colors or prints that go together. perfect for small projects in sewing. the pillow pattern i have has three little house appliquéd on a background fabric. they are usually very inexpensive. depends on the fabric.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #444
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Zhizara's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 12,537
Thanks, Babe. I knew they were small and used for quilting, but never knew the yardage.

I'll keep an eye out for something with nice colors and get myself a batch for odds and ends.

I like your idea using the Crystal Light cans. I need a larger container for where I sit. I like to keep some sewing tools near my hang out spot for scissors, seam ripper, etc., and that seems like it would be the perfect size.

When you use fabric to cover, do you glue? If so, what kind do you use?
__________________

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #445
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Thanks, Babe. I knew they were small and used for quilting, but never knew the yardage.

I'll keep an eye out for something with nice colors and get myself a batch for odds and ends.

I like your idea using the Crystal Light cans. I need a larger container for where I sit. I like to keep some sewing tools near my hang out spot for scissors, seam ripper, etc., and that seems like it would be the perfect size.

When you use fabric to cover, do you glue? If so, what kind do you use?

i glue them on with a glue stick. try to buy a good strong one. not sure of the spelling of the site i buy fat quarters, etc from. will check and give it to you. there are a bunch of ways to buy small batches of fabric. they are having a sale right now, so you should check it out. promise i will tomorrow.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #446
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Park Drive Bar/Grill Los Angeles
Posts: 9,631
My observatory is coming along nicely. I spent the day erecting the posts in front and spanning the beams. The roof (standard shed style roof) will ride on steel rollers and roll over and rest on those beams, opening up the observatory to the night sky.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5055693-P1060441.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	12969  
__________________
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #447
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
My observatory is coming along nicely. I spent the day erecting the posts in front and spanning the beams. The roof (standard shed style roof) will ride on steel rollers and roll over and rest on those beams, opening up the observatory to the night sky.
Say, Road - seems like you're just the one to answer a question that popped up last night: there was a ring around the moon, causing it to look like the center of a bulls-eye. Maybe the conditions that caused it were strictly local, but I'm betting you know what this phenomenon is called. Your oservatory project is, to use an moth-eaten word, Neato!
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #448
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i glue them on with a glue stick. try to buy a good strong one. not sure of the spelling of the site i buy fat quarters, etc from. will check and give it to you. there are a bunch of ways to buy small batches of fabric. they are having a sale right now, so you should check it out. promise i will tomorrow.
What a great term that is. Sometime I'd like to hear non-sewing folks guess what it means.

You sure do stay busy, Babetoo.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #449
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Say, Road - seems like you're just the one to answer a question that popped up last night: there was a ring around the moon, causing it to look like the center of a bulls-eye. Maybe the conditions that caused it were strictly local, but I'm betting you know what this phenomenon is called. Your oservatory project is, to use an moth-eaten word, Neato!
Rings Around The Moon
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #450
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
My observatory is coming along nicely. I spent the day erecting the posts in front and spanning the beams. The roof (standard shed style roof) will ride on steel rollers and roll over and rest on those beams, opening up the observatory to the night sky.
Looks great! So much fun, I wish there was even a planetarium around here.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.