What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not even going there. Our outside thermometer, in the shade, registered 100F. Pretty rough right now.

I went out a little while ago to do some pool maintenance, necessary but I didn't want to do it. The pool thermometer read 94F. Not even refreshing.

I siphoned off some of the water and added some cool(er) water. Still like bath water. Looking forward to some more pleasant temperatures. Not sure when this will happen. Weather forecast is for more of the same.

Rain! WooHoo! It wasn't in the forecast, but we sometimes get these "out of nowhere" thunderstorms in the summer in Texas. They used to pop up when I was on my boat in the middle of a big lake.

CD

If you go to WeatherUnderground.com, you can pick you weather station from a location nearest you. www.weatherunderground.com .

CD

I am happy with the weather station just a block away from where I live. Any closer and they will put it in the building where I live. We already have a voting station here in the building. We have police stationed in the building for every election. But a lot of the residents do not like the idea of total strangers just walking into the building. This is supposed to be a secured building. I can just imagine what they would say with a weather station here. Heck they complain that the postman has a key to the building and all the mailboxes.

Last edited:
But is that one block away station the exact weather station that you are getting your daily "this is my weather" information from? I think that was Casey's point. Do you have "Weatherbug" on your laptop? The app on my phone lets me select the weather reporting station I want to use, within a certain range. As to Got Garlic's point a while ago, if the equipment for the weather reporting station is in a bad spot, it will give you false information, like the old adage about not putting your thermometer in the sun. Temperature should be measured in the shade.

I am happy with the weather station just a block away from where I live. Any closer and they will put it in the building where I live. We already have a voting station here in the building. We have police stationed in the building for every election. But a lot of the residents do not like the idea of total strangers just walking into the building. This is supposed to be a secured building. I can just imagine what they would say with a weather station here. Heck they complain that the postman has a key to the building and all the mailboxes.

Addie, first, weather stations aren't in buildings: they are attached to buildings. They have to be outside in order to measure the weather. Second, even if it was in the building, why would it require strangers to walk in? It's an electronic device that communicates data wirelessly to a central place. No one needs to come and check it.

But is that one block away station the exact weather station that you are getting your daily "this is my weather" information from? I think that was Casey's point. Do you have "Weatherbug" on your laptop? The app on my phone lets me select the weather reporting station I want to use, within a certain range. As to Got Garlic's point a while ago, if the equipment for the weather reporting station is in a bad spot, it will give you false information, like the old adage about not putting your thermometer in the sun. Temperature should be measured in the shade.

Yup. It tells me right at the top where I am getting the information from. There is another fire station about 1/4 mile from where I live. It is a tad further away from the airport. The NOAA is located at the airport. What I get from there is so far from what is really happening on my street. Just now I checked on it. According to the airport, it is pouring out. Parts of my street when I look out the window are dry and part is having a light drizzle. And that is what my weather bug is showing.

Up in the right hand corner of the weather bug screen, I have three choices. Orient Heights Station, Saratoga Street or NOAA. The Orient Heights Station is the one just up the street from me. And that is the fire station that responds when I dial 911 for my heart. They are usually here before I hang up from the dispatcher. I would say that they are close enough that we share the same weather and temperatures.

Last edited:
Addie, first, weather stations aren't in buildings: they are attached to buildings. They have to be outside in order to measure the weather. Second, even if it was in the building, why would it require strangers to walk in? It's an electronic device that communicates data wirelessly to a central place. No one needs to come and check it.

I just want to know where to stick the thermometer...:ohmy::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Do you really think the elderly folks in this building know that? There is a camera on all four corners of this building. I personally am glad they are there. Someone spotted one and swear management is spying on them. When it was pointed out that there is also cameras at every entrance to the building, she stayed in her apartment for two weeks before someone knocked on her door to do a wellness check.

You have to remember the majority of the residents were born before WWII. They are just learning to accept that the TV can't see or talk back to you.

Do you really think the elderly folks in this building know that? There is a camera on all four corners of this building. I personally am glad they are there. Someone spotted one and swear management is spying on them. When it was pointed out that there is also cameras at every entrance to the building, she stayed in her apartment for two weeks before someone knocked on her door to do a wellness check.

You have to remember the majority of the residents were born before WWII. They are just learning to accept that the TV can't see or talk back to you.

I think you didn't know that [emoji2]

I think you didn't know that [emoji2]

I have known that for a long time. There were pictures in our local paper when they were installed with the story of why and how they were installed.

GG, Logan airport has expanded so much that you wouldn't recognize it as it was when I was a kid. We lost our Wood Island Park. It was huge. Had a swimming pool for small kids. A snack bar, shell concert area, about five baseball fields, etc. On weekends it was always crowded. The airport took that away from us. It is now the service end of the airport with its own access road. As the airport has expanded we lost a beautiful tree lines street leading right to Wood Island Park and about two hundred beautiful homes. We have had to put up with the extra traffic, the noise, the construction trucks up and down our streets, etc. We also lost a few young children to death because those construction trucks were racing up and down our streets. And don't forget the increase of noise from the airplanes. Then when the jets arrived, you couldn't hear yourself talk when a plane flew overhead of your home. City Hall and the State House finally heard us. All expansion of the airport came to a screeching halt. But it took about 100 mothers standing in the middle of the streets day after day, regardless of the weather, preventing the construction trucks from making their daily trips. Day after day, they were out there with pictures of the children that had been killed.

So along comes Chapter Two. In order to placate us, they installed sound proof windows in all of our schools and homes that were right under the flight paths. To replace the loss of Wood Island Park, the airport built five beautiful parks right along the waterfront. The airport also pays for sailing lessons in the summer. And there is now a path from one end of this filled in island to the other. At one time there were railroad tracks along that path. You can walk it or ride a bike. Today you see a lot of joggers getting their daily run in. The airport had taken claim of it and you could be arrested if you touched the alarmed fence. The fence is gone.

Right now they are again building a new runway. The planes are having to use a landing runway to take off while construction is going on. Those homes that the planes are flying so low over while gaining height, are now getting all new sound proof windows. The airport has impacted three communities. East Boston, Winthrop and South Boston. We got the worst of their expansion plans. So we get the most of the new benefits. And one of those benefits were these weather bug reporting stations. Not a necessity by any means. But still fun to have.

Who says you can't fight City Hall? We did and we won. And so did Winthrop and South Boston. And we aren't done. Some mothers were out there just a week or so ago, counting the number of construction trucks making trips back and forth. We also have a civilian committee that keeps an eye on the airport.

There was one last holdout to Logan. An old man whose great grandparents had come to this country bought the land and built the triple decker he lived in. He refused to sell his home to Logan. It was right at the entrance to the service road. He died a couple of years ago and his family finally sold it to the airport at an inflated price. It is now one of the beautiful parks that the airport created. And right at the end of I90. Lots of International visitors stop there. Specially those with children.

Last edited:
I have known that for a long time. There were pictures in our local paper when they were installed with the story of why and how they were installed.

So why do you think that strange people would be coming into your building if there was a weather station on the outside of it (not inside, like you said)? You made it sound like it's a staffed police substation.

FYI, this is an example of a weather station:
hp-1000-wifi-weatherstation.png

A lot depends on the HVAC system. Builders use the cheapest equipment they can get. I have two systems, one for each floor of the house. My downstairs builder's grade AC died after just 9 years. My upstairs AC system is 16, and has had one foot in the grave for the last 5 years.

BTW, it is 94 at noon, and climbing, with 60-percent humidity. That makes for a heat index of 107.

CD

CD, you're right about that - and I also think a lot of it depends on the conditions you live in. People who live in the south with lots of humidity seem to go through the AC system part more/faster than people who don't have as much humidity in their area. Same for heating systems for people who live way up north with -0 temps on a regular basis.

90 degrees here right now, with a heat index of 105 and a thunderstorm on the way. Heat advisory in effect till 8 pm.

How did you make it through the rain/storms yesterday afternoon and last night?

It's 79 here now, with a real feel of 79! No heat advisory here today, thank goodness.

How did you make it through the rain/storms yesterday afternoon and last night?

It's 79 here now, with a real feel of 79! No heat advisory here today, thank goodness.
Ha, they went all around us and we never got a drop! Had to water the garden ourselves! :ROFLMAO: Good thing we have a well ;)

It's pretty hot out there again today.
2017-07-24-15-20-34.jpg

63 and raining all day...I wanted to hit the blueberry farmstand for more blueberries for jam but no answer on the phone...rain means no one is out picking and I guess they are closed...bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom