What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you're generalizing a little too much. Most of the people I know who live in disaster-prone areas know how to prepare for them. It's not just the "government" that people want to hear from. It's expert meteorologists who provide the information people need to make informed decisions.

Thus my signature line below... :)

Ross

Hella hot today. It's supposed to be 90 and it's getting there, but right now it's...overcast. And not in a good way. We have a very thin layer of clouds outside (just enough to make me nervous - if I were in the Midwest, I'd be very nervous) and the wind is blowing from the north, which it normally doesn't do. If we get a north wind, it's usually more of very slight breeze that goes away in the daytime, especially if we have heat like this.

It's just the weird weather and the heat - that's why I'm on edge.

At least it's not earthquake weather.

Considering what many in Texas are going through, our weather is excellent.

That being said, it is around 100 and the air is full of smoke from all the fires in the state. The entire state and western Canada smoke seems to drift down to our part of the state. Yesterday I was working outside and at the end of the day, it felt like I had smoked a pack of cigarettes in a sauna. Today is worse, luckily I'm inside waiting in a delivery.

Huh. So when you say something, it's an opinion and when I respond with a different view, it's argumentative. Thats fascinating, too.

Oh no... I should have clarified my statement.. :(

"You are, arguably, the most arguable person on DC... I like that about you."

That comes from reading your posts concerning something you disagree with, posted by someone else..On...and on...and on... ;)

I had a aunt (she, unfortunately, passed years ago) who would argue about anything.. "Blue?" "That isn't blue, its teal. What do you mean blue?.. Oh, so now you are the color expert, huh?"

Loved that woman.. Miss her like the dickens... :)

Ross

109F here now, but this is nothing compared to what those in Texas are going through. Continued thoughts and prayers to all and your loved ones who are in its path of destruction, and the devastating aftermath. :( This is just horrific.

I'll take it a step farther ...

Why have we become a nation where the government has to direct us to do what is best for our safety?
At a time in my life when I had very few assets and even less cash, I took my family away from a dangerous storm.. It was difficult and took a while to get us back in shape financially but, it was my responsibility to make certain my family was safe..

To blame someone is, imo, just wrong..

Ross

Government is between a rock and a hard place on whether to "to direct us to do what is best for our safety." If they let people make their own decisions, they are still obligated to rescue people who stay and get trapped, even if those people chose to stay against government advice to leave.

When Ike hit, some people refused to leave Bolivar Peninsula, even under mandatory evacuation. First responders ended up risking their own lives to rescue as many of these people as they could as the deadly hurricane approached landfall, and these people realized they had really made the wrong decision to stay.

Now, government is being criticized for not evacuating Houston. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

CD

I feel bad saying this this, but Harvey has been kind to North Texas. Very little rain, and much cooler than normal temperatures. It was partly cloudy and 85 this afternoon.

My dad and sister in Houston ventured out to the local Kroger, which was the only thing open today, and just barely. They had a skeleton crew, and were only open for a few hours. Many stores are in good shape, but employees can't get to them.

My sister's house hasn't flooded, but she can't get to it because all the roads around it are flooded. So, the family is all okay, they just can't go anywhere.

CD

We've got a "potential tropical cyclone" coming up the coast, and school has been cancelled in several counties in our area today. They just started school for the year yesterday.

My nephew's house in Alvin started taking on water last night. They went to the relative's house that is on higher ground but I haven't heard anything from them this AM.

It's rainy and 73 right now and we are under a Wind Advisory and a Flash Flood Watch today. How are you doing today, GG?

Government is between a rock and a hard place on whether to "to direct us to do what is best for our safety." If they let people make their own decisions, they are still obligated to rescue people who stay and get trapped, even if those people chose to stay against government advice to leave.

When Ike hit, some people refused to leave Bolivar Peninsula, even under mandatory evacuation. First responders ended up risking their own lives to rescue as many of these people as they could as the deadly hurricane approached landfall, and these people realized they had really made the wrong decision to stay.

Now, government is being criticized for not evacuating Houston. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

CD

Last nights national news had interviews of people being rescued who had refused to leave when told.. God bless those who risk their lives to save those who are idiots...

Ross

I feel bad saying this this, but Harvey has been kind to North Texas. Very little rain, and much cooler than normal temperatures. It was partly cloudy and 85 this afternoon.

My dad and sister in Houston ventured out to the local Kroger, which was the only thing open today, and just barely. They had a skeleton crew, and were only open for a few hours. Many stores are in good shape, but employees can't get to them.

My sister's house hasn't flooded, but she can't get to it because all the roads around it are flooded. So, the family is all okay, they just can't go anywhere.

CD

Don't feel bad... Good news in a horrid situation is good to hear...

Ross

Very strange, but enjoyable, weather today. It's like Mother Nature can't decide what she wants to do. :LOL: We've had at least 3 'sunshowers' today - pouring down rain, but the sun is so bright that the rain evaporates almost as soon as it hits the ground. I always think that is so odd when that happens.

Thunder and lightning now, alternating between sunshine. Weird!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom