"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #8501
Chef Extraordinaire

I love the snow...we do get it here in Oz, but not were I am

Snowed a bit in England when I was there

Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #8502
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Snowing off and on today. Currently 34F, but only because the wind has died down. Expecting 23F for the low tonight.
I always think of Montana, Wyoming as having very cold, snowy and windy winters. Add the Dakotas to that list also.

I have to tell you a story. I was dating a feller from North Dakota. He got word that his father was very sick. His mother needed him to come home and help with the farm. It was located on the prarie. He asked me to go back with him. I took one look at him and told him, "If I stepped outside in the middle of winter you wouldn't find me until the spring thaw." He gave up the idea. He went back alone.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:13 PM   #8503
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I love the snow...we do get it here in Oz, but not were I am

Snowed a bit in England when I was there
Have you never seen a big snowstorm? The kind where it is up to your knees? It can be fun depending on your age. Kids love it. No school, plenty of snow to play in. Adults hate it. So dang much shoveling unless you have a snowblower. But everyone loves to get out in it the next day and make snowgirls and snowmen. The next day is usually cold and very sunny. Perfect weather for play for everyone.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #8504
Chef Extraordinaire

Hey Addie

No, I have not seen that much snow...only covering my shoes, but not my knees
Old 11-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #8505
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Hey Addie

No, I have not seen that much snow...only covering my shoes, but not my knees
I've seen snow that I had to stand on tiptoe to see over. That's five foot (1.5 m) of snow. That didn't include the drifts, that was on the flat.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #8506
Chef Extraordinaire

OMG...your kidding!

That is unreal Fiona
Old 11-09-2012, 12:02 AM   #8507
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
OMG...your kidding!

That is unreal Fiona
It's not unreal, it's winter...and I love it! The 5 foot of snow has only happened a couple of times, but I've been in lots of snowfalls that are 3-4 feet deep. It's typical for us to get at least one snowfall that is more than 0.3 m to 1 m. If we get a good one this year, I'll be sure to post a picture.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 AM   #8508
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
OMG...your kidding!

That is unreal Fiona
No she is not. She lives just below Canada. There are a lot of moutains and plains where she lives. Both areas get a lot of snow. Specially the plains. They get a lot of drifts that can be 10 feet high. One of the good things about a big snowstorm is that you get to meet your neighbors. If you have an elderly person that lives in your neighborhood, someone will go and shovel them out and check to make sure they are all right. If they know there is a single mother with small children, the folks in the neighborhood will do the same. Big storms bring out the best in us.

PF lives in cattle country. A lot of ranches. Mostly Black Angus cattle. The best kind. Black Angus don't do too well in the Southwest like Texas and Oklahoma. I would sell the blood of my first born to live where she lives. I love country living where you have to drive ten or more miles just to go in town to get a loaf of bread. Come to think, for that distance you bake your own. You are lucky if you get to town once a month unless you have a job there. PF lives in a city where the cattle are shipped out to feed lots or directly to slaughter houses if they are strictly range fed. Black Angus don't fare very well on corn. Their systems are more sensitive than Hereford cattle. As a result, their meat is more flavorful and more tender.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #8509
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's not unreal, it's winter...and I love it! The 5 foot of snow has only happened a couple of times, but I've been in lots of snowfalls that are 3-4 feet deep. It's typical for us to get at least one snowfall that is more than 0.3 m to 1 m. If we get a good one this year, I'll be sure to post a picture.
Can't say that I blame you. A good snowfall is a beautiful sight.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:29 AM   #8510
Master Chef

Was so hot yesterday, this morning it's overcast and cold. Hubby just came home with loads of washing, hope the rain holds off till it's dry! Near by town have had hale the size of tennis balls, I'm so scared it comes our way. Hubby is borrowing my dad's car and it's not under cover. Think I'll run away if it gets damaged :(

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote