What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Only, If Only...I could send you some of ours. You can have it! I'll look for a neighbor getting new appliances, get the boxes from them, and stuff them full of white stuff. Express ship it to you. Won't even charge you for the snow, but you pick up the shipping cost, OK?

We got another foot of white stuff. Go. Away. Already!!!

I'll just wait till March for our Spring Blizzard...shipping is free for that one:LOL:

It has finally stop snowing!!! Now it is sleet and rain. Mostly sleet. Our temp is 11ºF. I need to get out of my apartment. But I am terrified of slipping on the ice and snow. I will be going grocery shopping at the end of the week. I guess that will have to do for my getting outside. Even if it is only from the front door to the car and reverse when we come back. Of course I will have to wait about five minutes outside the grocery store for Spike to bring the car to me and the carriages.

The City of Boston has five snow farms and right now they are full. They brought in two snow melters and are using them. But they just can't keep up with all the snow that has fallen in less than a week. They were planning the Victory Parade for the Patriots for tomorrow. They had to change plans and make it for Wednesday. Working around the clock with a fleet of plows and trucks to remove the snow for the two miles of the parade has become more difficult. They have no place to put the snow. I hate storms like we have had this past week. I just hope that any brides out there didn't have a January wedding planned in this city. :angel:

We have clear, starry skies with a nearly-full moon. If the clouds haven't cleared by you yet Addie, they should soon. Weather from the west gets to us about an hour or two before it reaches you. All I know is clear skies means the temps will fall even further. Time for me to dive under the down comforter!

We have clear, starry skies with a nearly-full moon. If the clouds haven't cleared by you yet Addie, they should soon. Weather from the west gets to us about an hour or two before it reaches you. All I know is clear skies means the temps will fall even further. Time for me to dive under the down comforter!

There is a God after all. Thank you. I have a faux fur coat and lot of scarves and hats. I also have sweaters. So let the temps drop. I can't go far on my scooter. I can't be sure the handicap curb accesses have been shoveled out. But our parking lot has been plowed and I can ride in circles if I choose to. :angel:

Thought you might enjoy some stats from the City of Boston.

Miles Plowed So Far 148,455

Amount of Salt Used 52,670 Tons

Hours Plowed 82,706

Season's Total Snow 53.4 Inches

And they are telling us we have another storm coming Thursday. Ah, but I am a hearty New Englander. I can survive anything thrown at me. In my dreams! I really wanted to go out today. But right now the Temp is 5ºF. and dropping. Even if it was only for a walk to the corner store. :angel:

Last edited:
Cold and sunny. A lovely morning, in fact. The snow has gone from the pavements/sidewalks and the road surface but is still lurking in people's gardens.

I had some good news yesterday. A guy came from my gas supplier to survey for upgrading my loft insulation and I found out that, as I'm an old bat, I can have it done free under a Government energy-saving scheme. Whoopee!

Must go and get organised to go shopping and to the bank. Perhaps I'll have lunch at the deli as I've saved all that money on my loft insulation :rolleyes:.

Cold and sunny. A lovely morning, in fact. The snow has gone from the pavements/sidewalks and the road surface but is still lurking in people's gardens.

I had some good news yesterday. A guy came from my gas supplier to survey for upgrading my loft insulation and I found out that, as I'm an old bat, I can have it done free under a Government energy-saving scheme. Whoopee!

Must go and get organised to go shopping and to the bank. Perhaps I'll have lunch at the deli as I've saved all that money on my loft insulation :rolleyes:.

Free is always good. I had my last apartment completely insulated for free. Sure made my the landlord happy since he didn't have to pay for it. I even managed to convince the energy company to install five new double pane windows. The kind that you can open from the inside and clean the outside.

I have those windows here. But these are huge windows and when I open them for cleaning the outside, they are too heavy for me to hold up or even to put them back up where they belong. :angel:

LOL, thats funny MC...

If you are not equipped for it, even a small amount of snow can be tough to deal with, plus you guys drive them tiny cars, lol, I read through your story like an episode of mister bean...

I'll be 4" would put florida into a state of emergency, they are 750 miles to the nearest snow shovel, lol...

Wisconsin firefighters spark #ShovelItForward with compassionate act - CSMonitor.com

I thought you might point out to your boys who are not happy about no increase in their allowance, the following story. I have a firefighter in the family. Thank you. :angel:

Wisconsin firefighters spark #ShovelItForward with compassionate act - CSMonitor.com

I thought you might point out to your boys who are not happy about no increase in their allowance, the following story. I have a firefighter in the family. Thank you. :angel:

Nice article, I am a volunteer fireman :) {no pay but the job comes with an awesome light I get to put on my dash board when I am called} , my sons do their part, being 14 and 15 it takes me having to coordinate it, lol, but when someone offers them money they never take it, and some of the people we help are persistent, one put a $20 bill in my sons hoodie which he found as we were leaving, he made me stop and ran back to the house {I thought he forgot a shovel} he slipped the 20 under the door and ran back to the truck. I was happy to see that.

Sadly not everyone thinks this way, the other day we stopped at the deli while out and the normal guys were in there drinking coffee and eating pastry, they know what we do on snow days and there are always comments like "better you than me", "your crazy, thats got to cost you $200 in gas", "you must have a real uncomfortable couch at home", etc etc etc.. I have heard them all, but it doesn't bother me, I enjoy helping people...

Nice article, I am a volunteer fireman :) {no pay but the job comes with an awesome light I get to put on my dash board when I am called} , my sons do their part, being 14 and 15 it takes me having to coordinate it, lol, but when someone offers them money they never take it, and some of the people we help are persistent, one put a $20 bill in my sons hoodie which he found as we were leaving, he made me stop and ran back to the house {I thought he forgot a shovel} he slipped the 20 under the door and ran back to the truck. I was happy to see that.

Sadly not everyone thinks this way, the other day we stopped at the deli while out and the normal guys were in there drinking coffee and eating pastry, they know what we do on snow days and there are always comments like "better you than me", "your crazy, thats got to cost you $200 in gas", "you must have a real uncomfortable couch at home", etc etc etc.. I have heard them all, but it doesn't bother me, I enjoy helping people...

I had my youngest son shovel next door one year. It was a elderly couple. That was all it took. He made sure after that one time, that he got up on his own each time it snowed so he could get out there early and start shoveling. He didn't want them to know who was doing it for them. Volunteering never hurts. And when it goes un-noticed, it tastes even better. A lesson he learned on his own. :angel:

Last edited:
I had my youngest son shovel next door one year. It was a elderly couple. That was all it took. He made sure after that one time, that he got up on his own each time it snowed so he could get out there early and start shoveling. He didn't want them to know who was doing it for them. Volunteering never hurts. And when it goes un-noticed, it tastes even better. A lesson he learned on his own. :angel:

Thats great when you see your child take initiative to help someone else. I have 2 sons close in age so they always have a helper, our neighbors are all pretty self sufficient and far away from us, its a walk just to get to the neighbors house, lol.

We do a lot of houses outside the neighborhood, we do our church {that takes the longest} and most of the houses we do with the exception of maybe 3 that are a lot of work {long driveways, walkways, and sidewalks} are pretty easy. We have it down to a science, I plow in the driveway, they hop out, grab the shovels, and start shoveling to the door, then if they have oil or propane heat they shovel a path to the fuel fills, by then I usually have the driveway all plowed and cleaned, so I hop out grab my shovel and do the mail box while they are either warming up in the truck or starting on the sidewalk, if their is a sidewalk I help them finish it off then we leave and go to the next house on the list...

Its more than just helping people, I get to spend time with them with no tv or video game distractions, we goof around all day, throwing snowballs and tackling each other into snow piles, I know the older people get a kick out of watching the kids play while working.
One women was snapping pictures from inside her house and then my wife seen pics of our kids making snow angels in a strangers yard on facebook, it said something like "my shoveling angels"...

We have one women who is in her late 70's that has my sons come and do her yard work, my wife drops them off in the morning and she has all the tools in her shed, she pays them once the first time they go there, she gives them $1000 in cash each and they go back there every single week all summer and landscape her yard. I have to say they do a great job, better than at my house, they sweep her porches, my oldest cleaned her gutters this year, my wife asked him where he learned how to clean gutters and he said "I'm self taught, its not as hard as it looks"...
Anyway I told her that she could hire a professional to landscape her yard for that much money and she said she enjoys having them around and watching them play while they work so much she doesn't care what it costs, and she wanted to give them more, lol.. She even makes them lunch and drinks while they are there! She is also very well off her late husband and her did very very well and they have no children...

After that first time, I really expected to hear, "Great, no snow. No School!" That child really surprised me.

I did send the story on to my grandson's wife. He is the firefighter in the family. He was supposed to take his kids in town today to see the parade. But decided to go shovel for some elderly neighbors instead. Kids do learn by the examples their parents and the rest of their family sets.

I am going shopping at the end of this week. I buy two boxes of cereal and a jar of peanut butter and marshmallow fluff for the church pantry every month. I think I will add a large loaf of bread with that. I simply can't stand the thought of any child going hungry. I finally managed to convince a few of the other residents in this building to contribute to the church. Even if it is just a loaf of bread. One of my neighbors has her grandchildren bring her donation to my door so they can see what it is all about. Spike takes it to the hallway of the woman's home that runs the pantry. :angel:

After that first time, I really expected to hear, "Great, no snow. No School!" That child really surprised me.

I did send the story on to my grandson's wife. He is the firefighter in the family. He was supposed to take his kids in town today to see the parade. But decided to go shovel for some elderly neighbors instead. Kids do learn by the examples their parents and the rest of their family sets.

I am going shopping at the end of this week. I buy two boxes of cereal and a jar of peanut butter and marshmallow fluff for the church pantry every month. I think I will add a large loaf of bread with that. I simply can't stand the thought of any child going hungry. I finally managed to convince a few of the other residents in this building to contribute to the church. Even if it is just a loaf of bread. One of my neighbors has her grandchildren bring her donation to my door so they can see what it is all about. Spike takes it to the hallway of the woman's home that runs the pantry. :angel:

I'll never forget my mother taking us to church to pick up food when we were kids, my father was out of work {the political issues that came with being a truck driver back then} and she was pregnant with my brothers {twins}, we wouldn't probably wouldn't have starved with out that food but we definitely would have been hungry, so I know both sides of the tracks and now that I am on this side I help when I can which luckily is often.

We try to tech the kids the best we can on how to be giving, I do the snow removal thing, my wife loves to crochet so makes hats, scarves, and gloves to donate. Thanksgiving we always donate turkeys, xmas, toys, easter we do a egg hunt raffle that raises money for breast cancer {sadly didn't happen last year and probably not this year again}, but when others see you or hear about you doing your part it seems to get them in the mood to do theirs...

That loaf of bread you donate may be the difference between a growing 9 year old boy going to be with a full stomach or going to bed and tossing and turning to a grumbling stomach, good for you...

There is a church member who is at the Food Pantry every Saturday. She is on both sides of that coin. Every year she gives her three boys coats to the coat collection. She claims that the church is giving out atomic food. Each year her three boys have outgrown last years coat. :angel:

I just love to punish myself. I just listened to out latest weather report. They are predicting up to 15" of snow tomorrow. I could have done without that. It is snowing right now and it isn't even tomorrow yet. Temp is 12ºF. And we are only in February. :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom