What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thunder! We have thunder! It has been raining in various degrees since noon today. Right now it's a hard rain('s gonna fall), and Himself just noticed that there is lightning. We sure could use the rain, so I'm not complaining. I'll see about how much we got when I get to check the birdbath tomorrow. ;)

We woke up to minus 5 C, ice fog made the sunrise magical and I had to try to find the winter clothes for the kid, because yesterday it was plus 5 C.

38 (3C) dropping to 28 (-2C) overnight. I saw a couple of insky binsky snow flakes or more like tiny dots of snow while coming back in the house just now.

Normal for here.... maybe a tad early for the pipes to freeze but guess I'll turn off and blow out the outside taps this weekend. Better early than late. Needs two people as there are about 14 taps around the place. Each one has to be opened one at a time and blown out from the top tap.

I actually did it by myself one year, walk to and open a tap, walk back up to the main, blow it out til you 'hope' you got it all, walk back and close it, walk on to the next, etc, etc, and each gets progressively further away.

Don't know what the guy was thinking of that installed them but I curse every fall. Then I curse again in the spring because there is always a leak somewhere! :glare:

Last edited:
Dragnlaw, how do you "blow out" the taps? We have just always turned it off from inside and left it open. Had no idea I was supposed to do anything more.

No, you don't have to. Your taps are on the outside wall of your house, with a shutoff valve just inside the wall. What you do is absolutely correct. Actually on newer houses now (at least since 2000 maybe earlier) there are taps that when you turn them off outside the actual valve is on the inside of the outside wall - so you could still use them in winter should you want/need to.

But I live on a farm and have pipes running underground to several different out-buildings/gardens etc. I use an air compressor and put a tire valve on one of the taps close to the house but up high... in actual fact, it's my outdoor shower :LOL: . Once I open a valve at a distance, we use walky talkies, I say start, when there is just air coming out I tell them to stop, then go on to the next one.

While I had the horses here, they had heated buckets, but with the water turned off I had to use 18 litre water jugs to lug water to them. I still have water in the barns, those run all year, again the valves go down about 4 feet. So it wasn't like I was lugging it from the house!

Thanks Dragnlaw, that makes sense. Yes, the tap is on the outside wall of the house. The shutoff valve is probably 30 feet away. But, it's in a heated basement, so the inside pipe stays warm. The house was built in the early 70s.

Drizzle and rain with a high of 5°C (41°F). Last night when we went out for supper, it felt like -3°C and there was mixed rain and snow. I do have my three season tires on the car, but I better get those winter tires put on soon. I always aim for October.

Wasn't that nice, ladies? I wonder if roadfix got rain down south where he is. Looked like they were bracing for a lot more than what they got....thank goodness.

It came down so hard here that it was bouncing back up off the street - looked like upside down rain. :)

It started out with a misty rain. It is now pouring out. We have been getting winds coming in from the ocean. Very unusual. The only time we get winds from that direction is when we are having a Nor'easter.

72°F and dry...wish we could get some rain. But it's been below freezing most nights.

The other morning when I got up it was just above freezing. 33-34ºF. Took a while to warm up to the mid 40's. Western Massachusetts has already gotten snow. That is just not right. Not in October.

Wasn't that nice, ladies? I wonder if roadfix got rain down south where he is. Looked like they were bracing for a lot more than what they got....thank goodness.

It came down so hard here that it was bouncing back up off the street - looked like upside down rain. :)

Yeah, we got a little trickle this morning. Glad it didn't come down like we were expecting. We have a small leak above our foyer. I still need to get up on the roof and patch some of the suspect areas...

The day before November and we have been throwing off sweaters right, left and centre and the Wonder Horse went out in the field without a rug because it was so hot.

Most peculiar.

Nice, mild day here. Perfect weather for the world's largest Halloween party in West Hollywood tonight. I stay away from the area at all cost. Too many freaks and the traffic mess.
We'll be T or T'ing tonight with the grand kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom