What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently, here in the PNW, now we're supposed to get a hurricane tomorrow. I honestly don't know what to think about it. I don't know if all the weather reports are nothing but hype or if I'm just being more realistic about this upcoming storm. I've seen some bad storms up here, so this one is going to have to be really bad to get my attention. Well, we'll find out.

However, I can't believe it will be anything close to what the people in Haiti, Florida and South Carolina went though.

I don't know how long you have lived in that area. But back in the early 70's when I first moved there, a wind storm kicked up. The sun was brightly shining and all of a sudden the wind picked up to over 100 mph. Strong enough to blow out a cement floating bridge over Lake Washington. My son was real small and playing a distance from the house. I told him to crawl on his tummy back to the house. I was able to reach him and all but dragged him into the house. Real scary. Think Galloping Gertie over the Sound.

A gust of wind by any other name.......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-braces-for-even-stronger-windstorm-saturday/

Here's a couple of excerpts:

In Oregon, the Weather Service office in Portland has issued a hurricane-force wind watch for the coast and is calling this event the “Ides of October storm.”

The storm’s central pressure is expected to plummet to 965-970 millibars — which is equivalent to many Category 2 hurricanes.

The flag on the building across the street is now waving in the wind. It was still this morning. The clouds are purple in the sky (would you believe we had a bright minute of sun about 30 minutes ago?) and the banner hanging across the street, which no one took down, is now tangled around the power line. This city, I swear.

GG, I meant to say that I don't think the weathermen are hyping this storm, but I think the media certainly is. Again, it could very well be a deadly serious storm, but I think that depends on where you're at in the PNW. Where I'm at now, I'm relatively safe. If I was still living in Belfair, I'd probably be preparing for siege, like one of my friends. She has a wood burning stove, but she'll probably lose power and therefore water for a week or so in this storm, not to mention that they have trees all around their house and property.

The frustrating thing about this is I can't find any current weather updates. I don't have a TV or a radio and everything on the internet is about 6 hours behind. I guess watching the flag is my best bet and if that tears off in the wind, which it's done before, I'm sort of left in the dark.:ermm:

Notice how they keep *not* calling it a hurricane.

When you say "the weathermen," who exactly are you referring to? There are weathermen in the media, you know. The weathermen in the media get their data from the National Weather Service. My husband monitors the weather constantly - it's a habit and a hobby - and I haven't noticed that he thinks TV weathermen exaggerate.

Of course how serious it is depends on on where you are. It also depends on where the storm goes. I'm not sure why you feel you need to point that out to me and I would not assume it won't affect you because you're 50 miles away from Belfair. As I said, the storm we got last week was 100 miles away from where it was forecast to be.

WeatherBug, Wunderground and The Weather Channel all have continuously updated radar and frequently updated reports. The National Weather Service updates its forecasts and images every three hours. Plus, you can watch TV weather reports and listen to the radio online. There's tons of information available.

Last edited:
49ºF at 2 a.m. A couple of night ago we had a frost alert for plants. And we have 80ºF temps forecasted in the near future. Indian Summer.

GG, of course there's weathermen in the news media. But I'm referring more to people who pick up the story and sensationalize it beyond recognition. For instance, that tornado in Manzanita was news for this area because we so seldom see them but to hear some of the other news sources, you'd think we had the most destructive tornado in the US ever!

I should have clarified what I meant by saying "depending where I was at." We have the Cascade Mts. on one side of us and the Olympic Mts. on the other side of us. Most of our weather comes in from the south and goes right up the slot over the top of us. Sometimes it veers more right and sometimes more left. On the left and right, it can be a crapshoot as to who gets the snow or who gets the rain.

But going from south to north, certain areas always get hit a little harder. Belfair to the south and Poulsbo to the north will always get more wind and more rain than where I live in the middle and if there's a "chance of snow" in the forecast, I probably won't get any but people in Belfair and Poulsbo will.

So living here in the city I wasn't at all worried about having any problems from flooding streets or falling trees or blowing wind. In Belfair to the south or in Poulsbo to the north, I would have been expecting power outages, flooding, and trees across roads without question. That's just the way those areas are.

I was looking at all the forecasts I could find last night, but I still couldn't find out when the storm came ashore or hit this area and how bad it was. Today my friend told me they kept downgrading it and pushing back the time when the worst winds were going to be here. That was information I didn't have at the time.

Anyway, I only lost my internet a few times last night (that's Comcast - that's a given) but otherwise I was like "What storm?" Although I did get up this morning and saw the flag on the building across the street was only attached by one corner. The top ring holding it to the pole must have broken. So storm of the decade, no. Big wind storm, yeah, probably. I've been here 4 years and this will be the 4th flag they will have replaced. Of course, the third one was the size of a Volkswagon and the wind took that one in just a couple of hours.

Last edited:
GG, of course there's weathermen in the news media. But I'm referring more to people who pick up the story and sensationalize it beyond recognition.

Well, there's no way for me to know who you meant; I still don't know what people you're referring to. It's pretty common for viewers to complain about TV weather forecasters. Just listen to the experts and you'll be better informed.

I'm glad you had no damage. When Hurricane Isabel came ashore in North Carolina in 2003, it weakened into a tropical storm by the time it got to our area. But we had had quite a bit of rain from other storms earlier that month (as your area has) and the heavy rain caused the water pumping station for our part of town to flood, so they turned it off to prevent damage. We were without water for five days and without power for about 10 days. Ever since then, we prepare as if it might happen again. Every storm is a new one.

I should have clarified what I meant by saying "depending where I was at." We have the Cascade Mts. on one side of us and the Olympic Mts. on the other side of us. Most of our weather comes in from the south and goes right up the slot over the top of us. Sometimes it veers more right and sometimes more left. On the left and right, it can be a crapshoot as to who gets the snow or who gets the rain.

But going from south to north, certain areas always get hit a little harder. Belfair to the south and Poulsbo to the north will always get more wind and more rain than where I live in the middle and if there's a "chance of snow" in the forecast, I probably won't get any but people in Belfair and Poulsbo will.

So living here in the city I wasn't at all worried about having any problems from flooding streets or falling trees or blowing wind. In Belfair to the south or in Poulsbo to the north, I would have been expecting power outages, flooding, and trees across roads without question. That's just the way those areas are.

Since we're so close to the ocean and the Chesapeake Bay, we have warmer air than that just north of us, so usually we get rain when they get snow. But not always.

I remember well the first hurricane season I experienced. DH was in the Navy and they take the ships out to sea to prevent them from banging against the piers in the wind. I heard that, blown in hurricane-force winds, a bottle cap can break a plate-glass window. I never forgot that.

And today it's sunshine all the way! I found a little park I'd heard of but hadn't visited before. It has about 7 parking spaces, a driveway's worth of grass and I think one picnic table. But it's right on the water. I just had to get right up to the water and I almost got blown away for my pains. So we have a nice, but windy day today.

Now it is down to 49 F, but earlier we sat outside to play cards in the sun. Fantastic for October. not complaining!!!

Tomorrow supposed to reach 70 + but with some rain... and that's OK by me!

And today it's sunshine all the way! I found a little park I'd heard of but hadn't visited before. It has about 7 parking spaces, a driveway's worth of grass and I think one picnic table. But it's right on the water. I just had to get right up to the water and I almost got blown away for my pains. So we have a nice, but windy day today.

That sounds nice, RR...reminds me of a tiny little park I used to walk to back when I lived in east Bremerton. Beautiful area, and right on the Sound. I loved it there, and it brings back good memories. :)

Cold and damp here in the north west of England - not the nicest kind of autumnal weather. I felt sorry for the Wonder Horse, who's knocking on a bit (25 years old last March) and let him stay in in a nice warm stable with lots of hay and a big breakfast. The field is very muddy already.

I expect those of you in the New England area are enjoying the change in leaf colours - or is that over. Something I've always fancied seeing. (You can forget DisneyLand as far as I'm concerned - all those children!)

I expect those of you in the New England area are enjoying the change in leaf colours - or is that over. Something I've always fancied seeing. (You can forget DisneyLand as far as I'm concerned - all those children!)

New England isn't the only area of the country that has spectacular fall color - the Midwest has gorgeous oak, maple, aspen and birch trees, too. I really miss it this time of year, although thanks to climate change, it's later than usual.

We have to go all the way to the mountains to see good fall color here in Virginia. In our area, it doesn't get cold enough to cause the color change, so the leaves pretty much turn brown and fall off - except for the few maples around, including the one DH planted in front of our house. But it's still too early here.

Attachments

• 1476799235658.jpg
    1476799235658.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 102
I bet it's the same one. I remembered the name - Bachmann Park. What's funny is I found it after taking a slow abbreviated "road trip" through the back roads of Manette. I just came on the park because it was the end of a road I'd been following.

I can't resist going down long windy or hilly roads. And I love to look at houses. Problem is, I look like I'm casing the neighborhood when I do that and so many of them have a Neighborhood Watch sign out.

Today is much cooler out but with sun, although I do see a few clouds coming up.

I bet it's the same one. I remembered the name - Bachmann Park. What's funny is I found it after taking a slow abbreviated "road trip" through the back roads of Manette. I just came on the park because it was the end of a road I'd been following.

I can't resist going down long windy or hilly roads. And I love to look at houses. Problem is, I look like I'm casing the neighborhood when I do that and so many of them have a Neighborhood Watch sign out.

Today is much cooler out but with sun, although I do see a few clouds coming up.

I don't remember if it was named Bachmann Park, but it was a few blocks from Manette Bridge....it was close to 20 years ago. Was there a little gazebo out over the water, too? If so, it's the same little park. :cool: I lived near the intersection of Trenton Ave. and Shore Dr. :LOL:
I'll have to look it up on googlemaps. :)

Last edited:
It was nice and 60 this morning when I got up but it's going up to 90 this afternoon, and even warmer tomorrow before it starts to drop back down. I hate hot weather in the fall.
Oh, and we're getting a red flag alert also, meaning no open fires anywhere in the county. That means hot, dry winds, and very low humidity.

Well we got the really warm weather they were promising us all week. The temp has been 79ºF. No complaints from here.

I don't remember if it was named Bachmann Park, but it was a few blocks from Manette Bridge....it was close to 20 years ago. Was there a little gazebo out over the water, too? If so, it's the same little park. :cool: I lived near the intersection of Trenton Ave. and Shore Dr. :LOL:
I'll have to look it up on googlemaps. :)

Yep, that's it.

Attachments

• 39449213.jpg
    39449213.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom