What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be a perfect 87 today. Yay!

I'm so glad the horrible, blistering summers are over and we have 9 months of perfect weather again.

Very weird at the moment. I was in the garden last weekend in glorious sunshine, when I looked into next door's garden and saw it was raining there!!!! The houses are detached but there's only about 5 feet between them!

It's quite nice autumnal weather here in the north-west of England. The leaves on the trees are starting to change colour and fall. It's sunny but a bit "nippy" - 12 degrees centigrade (53.6 deg F). Definitely time to think about getting out the winter woollies.

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos...wpath-in-autumn-picture-id592447967?s=170667a

I hope those of you in the area of the hurricane have all escaped harm.

Last edited:
We came through the hurricane fine, although many in our area lost power and/or were flooded. We got 10 to 12 inches of rain from last Friday night through Saturday.

Here's a drone video of downtown Norfolk, across the river from us. The neighborhood called The Hague is very close to where I used to work. The street in front of the houses is under water and merges with the creek.

https://www.facebook.com/13NewsNow/videos/10154596771658630/

Last edited:
We had frost this morning. A thin thin coat of ice on the wind-screen! Awwkk! It is up to a very comfortable 52F now.

While out driving my daughter and I stopped to take some pictures as the red in the trees is finally coming out. Enough to match Rocks picture!

We came through the hurricane fine, although many in our area lost power and/or were flooded. We got 10 to 12 inches of rain from last Friday night through Saturday.

Here's a drone video of downtown Norfolk, across the river from us. The neighborhood called The Hague is very close to where I used to work. The street in front of the houses is under water and merges with the creek.

https://www.facebook.com/13NewsNow/videos/10154596771658630/
Glad to read that you are fine. That video, :ohmy: !

I notice the video is "Courtesy: Norfolk Dept. of Emergency Management". That's a great idea for the the Dept. of Emergency Management to use drone cameras.

Apparently, here in the PNW, now we're supposed to get a hurricane tomorrow. I honestly don't know what to think about it. I don't know if all the weather reports are nothing but hype or if I'm just being more realistic about this upcoming storm. I've seen some bad storms up here, so this one is going to have to be really bad to get my attention. Well, we'll find out.

However, I can't believe it will be anything close to what the people in Haiti, Florida and South Carolina went though.

Apparently, here in the PNW, now we're supposed to get a hurricane tomorrow. I honestly don't know what to think about it. I don't know if all the weather reports are nothing but hype or if I'm just being more realistic about this upcoming storm. I've seen some bad storms up here, so this one is going to have to be really bad to get my attention. Well, we'll find out.

However, I can't believe it will be anything close to what the people in Haiti, Florida and South Carolina went though.

The National Weather Service has no reason to hype anything. The important thing to remember is that forecasts are good but not perfect. We were forecast to get 2 inches of rain, but a cold front came in later than expected, so the storm went further north than expected. We ended up getting 10 inches of rain in about 18 hours.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=48.116729026000485&lon=-122.75178682899968#.WAJcinMpDqA

We always prepare as if we'll need to be on our own for a week. Better safe than sorry.

Edit to add: DH, who was a meteorologist in the Navy and taught it in high school, says there are no hurricanes that far north. It's just a big storm.

Last edited:
This storm is picking up the remnant of Songda (sp?), a typhoon, the eastern equivalent of a hurricane. So, maybe no hurricane per se, but still with a remnant of one and packing some low level hurricane winds.

I've seen 2" of rain - I can't imagine 10" in that short a time. WOW!

Anyway, I have a ringside seat. I'm one of the few here who doesn't have to worry about flooding or falling trees. We'll even still have water if the power goes out. All that makes me very lucky compared to others.

Last edited:
We certainly call them hurricanes in Canada, when they hit Newfoundland or the Atlantic Provinces. They may technically be "extratropical cyclones" with hurricane force winds. But that is just terminology.

This storm is picking up the remnant of Songda (sp?), a typhoon, the eastern equivalent of a hurricane. So, maybe no hurricane per se, but still with a remnant of one and packing some low level hurricane winds.

I've seen 2" of rain - I can't imagine 10" in that short a time. WOW!

Anyway, I have a ringside seat. I'm one of the few here who doesn't have to worry about flooding or falling trees. We'll even still have water if the power goes out. All that makes me very lucky compared to others.
Stay safe.

It's not just terminology according to DH the teacher. Words matter.
And they are used differently in different places.

Actually, does it matter that technically they don't have hurricanes on the west side of the Pacific? Typhoons behave exactly like hurricanes. To call something an extratropical cyclone actually gives the impression of something milder than a hurricane. It includes weather that isn't hurricane-like. The difference between what Canadians call a hurricane in Canada and what others might call an extratropical cyclone is latitude, a human defined set of imaginary lines on the Earth.

Last edited:
And they are used differently in different places.

Actually, does it matter that technically they don't have hurricanes on the west side of the Pacific? Typhoons behave exactly like hurricanes. To call something an extratropical cyclone actually gives the impression of something milder than a hurricane. It includes weather that isn't hurricane-like. The difference between what Canadians call a hurricane in Canada and what others might call an extratropical cyclone is latitude, a human defined set of imaginary lines on the Earth.

Of course it matters, just like the difference between the words simmer, boil and steam matters. They're all methods of cooking with moisture, but they don't describe the same thing.

The definition of a hurricane includes where the originates and where it gets its energy - which is from the warm waters of the tropics. This is from DH: Once a hurricane goes up the coast, it's no longer fueled by warm water. It changes and mixes with other air masses and is no longer a hurricane, but more like a nor'easter. It can still be a s**t-kicking storm, but it's not a hurricane.

Anything with the word cyclone or typhoon in it certainly should give the impression of a dangerous storm. If it doesn't, well, lots of people use words without knowing what they mean.

Of course it matters, just like the difference between the words simmer, boil and steam matters. They're all methods of cooking with moisture, but they don't describe the same thing.

The definition of a hurricane includes where the originates and where it gets its energy - which is from the warm waters of the tropics. This is from DH: Once a hurricane goes up the coast, it's no longer fueled by warm water. It changes and mixes with other air masses and is no longer a hurricane, but more like a nor'easter. It can still be a s**t-kicking storm, but it's not a hurricane.

Anything with the word cyclone or typhoon in it certainly should give the impression of a dangerous storm. If it doesn't, well, lots of people use words without knowing what they mean.
From Wikipedia, "Extratropical cyclones can bring mild weather with a little rain and surface winds of 15–30 km/h (9.3–18.6 mph), or they can be cold and dangerous with torrential rain and winds exceeding 119 km/h (74 mph) ..." That's why I wrote that it could imply that it was milder than a hurricane.

I see that there are other differences than just latitude between extratropical cyclones and hurricanes. If I understand correctly, it has to do with getting its energy from warm air and water or cold and whether there is high or low pressure at the centre. Probably oversimplifying there. It seems that the hurricanes that hit Newfoundland often hit as hurricanes and then transition into extratropical cyclones over land.

I still don't see any significant difference between the terms, "tropical cyclone", "hurricane", and "typhoon".

I still don't see any significant difference between the terms, "tropical cyclone", "hurricane", and "typhoon".

I'm not an Earth science teacher, so I'm not going to get into this further. If you want to research it, though, I would suggest an Earth science resource like the USGS rather than Wikipedia.

I'm not an Earth science teacher, so I'm not going to get into this further. If you want to research it, though, I would suggest an Earth science resource like the USGS rather than Wikipedia.
"The terms "hurricane" and "typhoon" are regionally specific names for a strong "tropical cyclone"." From The National Ocianic & Atmospheric Administration Hurricane Research Division:

TCFAQ A1) What is a hurricane, typhoon, or tropical cyclone?

Wikipedia just had something short that I could quote. ;)

A gust of wind by any other name.......

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-braces-for-even-stronger-windstorm-saturday/

Here's a couple of excerpts:

In Oregon, the Weather Service office in Portland has issued a hurricane-force wind watch for the coast and is calling this event the “Ides of October storm.”

The storm’s central pressure is expected to plummet to 965-970 millibars — which is equivalent to many Category 2 hurricanes.

The flag on the building across the street is now waving in the wind. It was still this morning. The clouds are purple in the sky (would you believe we had a bright minute of sun about 30 minutes ago?) and the banner hanging across the street, which no one took down, is now tangled around the power line. This city, I swear.

GG, I meant to say that I don't think the weathermen are hyping this storm, but I think the media certainly is. Again, it could very well be a deadly serious storm, but I think that depends on where you're at in the PNW. Where I'm at now, I'm relatively safe. If I was still living in Belfair, I'd probably be preparing for siege, like one of my friends. She has a wood burning stove, but she'll probably lose power and therefore water for a week or so in this storm, not to mention that they have trees all around their house and property.

The frustrating thing about this is I can't find any current weather updates. I don't have a TV or a radio and everything on the internet is about 6 hours behind. I guess watching the flag is my best bet and if that tears off in the wind, which it's done before, I'm sort of left in the dark.:ermm:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom