What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what part of SoCal Dave lives but depending on the region, such as mountains, deserts, or inner valley communities, extreme temp swings are very common.
I live near downtown Los Angeles and am very close to the coast so although we were in the high 80's during the day, overnight temps only dipped down into the low 60's only. We don't get the extreme temp variations.

Many homes in LA have water heaters in simple, non-insulated sheet metal enclosures attached outside of homes. This is very common.
My water heater happens to be located in the basement.

I live in the Poway valley of San Diego, about 8 or 9 miles from the water. RoadFix has a basement, which is quite unusual in SoCal. We didn't have one when we lived in Rancho Cucamonga (yes, there is such a place), or Pomona, near LA.
icon7.gif

I live in the Poway valley of San Diego, about 8 or 9 miles from the water. RoadFix has a basement, which is quite unusual in SoCal. We didn't have one when we lived in Rancho Cucamonga (yes, there is such a place), or Pomona, near LA.
icon7.gif
I didn't even think about that when he said that, but you're right. I only knew one person in California (our landlord in San Diego in the late 60s) who had a basement. We didn't have one in San Diego or Vista.

As far as our hot water heater, ours was in the carport, in a little enclosed laundry area (just big enough for a washer, dryer, and water heater). At the house we lived in before that, we had a little laundry room attached to the house, and it was in there.

I would love a Santa Ana here right about now! I'm a little chilly!

:)Barbara

icon7.gif

Historical homes in L.A. have basements. My neighborhood is surrounded by historical homes and while my apt is from the early 1900's, its not a historical house, so no basement.

Rancho -and other newly developed areas - will not have basements unless specifically requested by the owner with too much money in his pockets. ;)

Barb: Wish I could help you, but the Santa Anas and La Nina will probably mean more lousy weather for most of the country for this winter. Think warm thoughts, dear. I miss basements; always had one in the midwest. All the way from root cellar and storm cellar to huge, with family room and etc.

*doing a happy dance* ABOVE FREEZING! Its 2C here and warm enough to wear my spring coat. AHHHHHH! Hallelujah! Sending the cold weather to some of you for a while.

I am also in SoCal and my ac is on right now!! I live about 20 miles south of downtown LA on a golf course, life is good here, but Im in the mood to make soup not barbecue

The news said that we are at 9 degrees, and temps are going to keep on dropping until we get to 1 degree. However, it will feel more like MINUS 25 DEGREES. There are a few flurries expected.too

Friday's high will reach only 8 degrees.

North East Ohioans and others with similar weather, please bring all pets inside.

Unfortunately, I will have to go out tomorrow. Sheesh!

I am also in SoCal and my ac is on right now!! I live about 20 miles south of downtown LA on a golf course, life is good here, but Im in the mood to make soup not barbecue

I've got a meaty hambone in the freezer just begging for cool weather. Sooner the better! Them beans is awaitn'. I've been outside all day so just turned on all the ceiling fans in the house (7). They help.
icon10.gif

I didn't even think about that when he said that, but you're right. I only knew one person in California (our landlord in San Diego in the late 60s) who had a basement. We didn't have one in San Diego or Vista.

As far as our hot water heater, ours was in the carport, in a little enclosed laundry area (just big enough for a washer, dryer, and water heater). At the house we lived in before that, we had a little laundry room attached to the house, and it was in there.

I would love a Santa Ana here right about now! I'm a little chilly!

:)Barbara

When I lived in Hollywood we had a large basement as well as a large walk around attic!
I think its more common in the LA/Hollywood areas due to the houses there often being much older.
We even had a tunnel going under our house starting in the basement to the front of the house/street area....I never knew exactly where it led to because it scared the C@#* out of me! Never fell for my brother daring me to go! :ROFLMAO: It was always a mystery of why it was there at all, it seemed like a private tunnel nothing the city made...??

Anywho....its a whopping 2 degrees here! and I don't even want to get into what happen to me today when I went to shovel my drivway!!! :huh::wacko::wacko:

Its about 5 degrees here right now, tonight's low is gonna be -2. The good news is that by Saturday it will be in the 20s - heatwave!

Well then I'm going swimming next Thursday when it's supposed to be 34 !

Hey, 34 would feel great right now! :mrgreen:
Especially if the sun came out, it was sunny here today but bitterly cold. Dogs didn't even get a walk, too cold.

I've got a meaty hambone in the freezer just begging for cool weather. Sooner the better! Them beans is awaitn'. I've been outside all day so just turned on all the ceiling fans in the house (7). They help.
icon10.gif

near san diego, didn't turn on ac or fans, but it was lovely today. hey i have a hambone in freezer, sounds like a good idea. i just checked and even have beans
we are lucky here, aren't we dave? it is 70 degrees at six pm.

DH and I made a big pot of vegetable beef soup, which we've had two nights in a row. Tonight, we're having a break with some really good chili dogs, with homemade steak chili out of the freezer and some grated cheddar cheese.

Tomorrow, we'll go back to the soup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom