When it rains, it pours!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
First, I'd like to thank all of you for your heartfelt concerns.

It sounded like a war zone the first couple of days. We lost of a lot of limbs from trees, and suffered some damage to the fences from falling limbs. Luckily, nothing hit the house, and nobody was injured. We didn't loose any whole trees (I've seen several rootballs exposed in places). One of my neighbors put his place up for sale three weeks ago, and will now probably have to reduce the asking price, from all the storm debris. He's also probably going to have to take down a large maple in his backyard.

That said, we were off the grid for 9 days! My laptop could dail out and access the internet the first few days, but I quit that as I didn't have a way to recharge the battery at first. Once the generator arrived, we barely have enough output from that to run the fridge, a couple lights, the TV, and a space heater. I was given two space heaters. Unfortunately, they were "cheap", and shorted out within a day.

I am without home phone service, due to a gremlin in the wiring somewhere. A technician is supposed to arrive sometime "before" the 23td of Dec. Who knows when exactly that will be. Even when we do get phone service back, it will be a bit before we get internet back.

On top of everything else, I am now without any sort of transportation. My other half, PeppA, was involved in a wreck in my vehicle last night. She's a bit banged up and sore, but otherwise OK. The car, however, is totalled. To make matters worse, most of the kids' presents were in the car. The car is now at a towing company. I'll have to prove I'm the owner to remove any personal possessions from it.

I'll keep in touch, when I can, but remember, it's hit-or-miss as far as me getting online at work.

Keep the faith and Merry Christmas!

Allen, that really is rotten.

I'm glad to hear you are all doing OK despite all the adversity,

Buy a lottery ticket Allen. With the run of bad luck you have just been having, something good must surely follow. (Although having your partner come out of a totalled car comparatively unscathed may have just used up that luck!!) Glad PeppA is okay. Hope all is resolved before Christmas so that you and yours can kick back and relax and be glad it's all over. Good luck.

Allen, Glad to hear that you guys are fairing alright. Sorry about the vehicle, glad about PeppA though, retrieve presents, relax, enjoy the children and forced closeness icestorms bring. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and better New Year. :>) Dawn T

I sure hope something wonderful happens for you!! You've had enough of the bad!!

This is going to sound strange, but I hope you get it in the spirit in which it's given. Of all the people in the world who could have posted a thread like this, I'm glad it was you. I am glad that Peppa is Ok, as you and your DW are so very close.

Why am I glad that this happend to you? It's because you are strong enough to get through this. You will come out on top. You have already weatherd the storm. Now, the easy part comes. You only need to clean up, get the wheels spinning to dig you way out of the holel.

Perserver my freind. You have my support and prayers.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad you are okay, though. I know a lot of people in Oklahoma weren't as lucky. Take care and try and stay warm.

Sorry to hear about your problem.

Three years ago we had a tornado come through our house, and I understand.

It cost us many thousands of dollars, but we came through it OK.

That is all that is important.

They say God does not give us a burden we cannot endure. Sometimes it seems to get close though.

Stuff can be replaced, folks cannot.

God bless.

Thanks for the all the kind words everyone.

I was able to retrieve my belongings, and the kids' presents, from my car this morning. One of the other managers brought me in, but it 4 1/2 hours before the start of my shift. One of the other cooks loaned me his vehicle to go get my stuff.

One thing that I am very glad to see, around here, is that the Christmas Spirit and the kindness of our fellow men and women still exists.

Back
Top Bottom