Avocado Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good point, Charlie. Costco guacamole is cheap, tasty, and lasts a long time. It can even be frozen.

Wholly Guacamole...I found the singles, 100 calorie packs. Easier for work and I don't have to take the chance the avocado I bought for lunch is bad. The 6 pack is the same price as a tub at Wally World.

I usually buy mine from costco.

How many do you have to buy? 6? 8? 10? I mean how many are in the bag?

I get good ones from Trader Joe's along with Costco but to say that ones in a local store are likely from a "bad crop" is just not true. By the way, the best ones come from the neighbor kid with the wagon. ;)

I was one of those kids back in the 60's.
In Miami we had avocado and many other fruit trees in our yard.
I would set up a stand and go door to door. They were so prevalent my business did not take off. To much product ruined my market, so we threw them at each other and at passing cars and buses.
We never truly appreciated what we had back then. Lucky no one got hurt!

Good point, Charlie. Costco guacamole is cheap, tasty, and lasts a long time. It can even be frozen.

I see this giant tub of guacamole and think how would I ever eat it all before it turned brown?
Frozen? Please tell me more. Is it good? How long does it last? TIA.

I buy guac form Costco. It cones in large plastic trays. I portion it out to smaller amounts and freeze it. Upon defrosting, I find it has given off a little water. I use it on quesadillas etc.

Roll Bones, the last time I bought avocados in a bag from Costco, there were 5 to a bag.

Princess, I've never seen single serve guac packs! I'll have to look - my grocery store has the tubs, but those are too big for me unless I know I'll be sharing with family. I'll have to try freezing as some of you have. Usually I have fresh avocados around and just make single serving guacamole and use it within a day.

Roll Bones, the last time I bought avocados in a bag from Costco, there were 5 to a bag.

Princess, I've never seen single serve guac packs! I'll have to look - my grocery store has the tubs, but those are too big for me unless I know I'll be sharing with family. I'll have to try freezing as some of you have. Usually I have fresh avocados around and just make single serving guacamole and use it within a day.

I was surprised to see them, too. $4.28 for 6 100 calorie packs. Nice size avocados here, are $2.49 each. Horrible to find they are bad once you cut into them and they really are closer to three servings, even though I could eat one a day.:pig:

Nice addition to my salad lunches.

Frozen? Please tell me more. Is it good? How long does it last? TIA.
They sell individual packages and a bag that they claim is 4 or maybe 5 avocados. Not bad at all. They less way pass the due date, and if you freeze couple of bags they will less for a long time i the freezer.

The marketing is a huge thing. Only 20 years ago people did not know what pomegranates were, you could buy a dime a dozen. Today they sometimes charge $3 per single one. Same with avocado.

Just read an article that we can expect higher prices for avocados--popularity combined with water shortage (takes 74 gallons of water) and cartel pressure in Mexico.

ah, we expect higher price for everything, that is if they can go any higher. Everything double, triple and even, in some cases, quadruple in the les 5-6 years.

Just read an article that we can expect higher prices for avocados--popularity combined with water shortage (takes 74 gallons of water) and cartel pressure in Mexico.

Of course they are, since I have chosen them as a major part of my new diet.

I was surprised to see them, too. $4.28 for 6 100 calorie packs. Nice size avocados here, are $2.49 each. Horrible to find they are bad once you cut into them and they really are closer to three servings, even though I could eat one a day.:pig:

Nice addition to my salad lunches.

:ohmy: I've seen them as high as $1.59 each here on rare occasion, but never as high as $2.49. That would be so disappointing, and maddening, to open one up at that price and find it bad. :glare:

A friend of mine will either buy a bunch when they are really cheap and/or take as many as somebody will give to her (usually us when our tree has a bumper crop, it alternates years of just a few and hundreds it seems) lets them ripen, then takes the flesh out, mashes it up and freezes it in single avocado portions on a tray, bags them, then takes them out and does whatever with them. I asked her if they don't come out watery and she said a little bit, but she just lets the liquid drain off and goes from there. She likes to eat avocado mashed with just a little bit of S and P. She REALLY likes avocados.

A friend of mine will either buy a bunch when they are really cheap and/or take as many as somebody will give to her (usually us when our tree has a bumper crop, it alternates years of just a few and hundreds it seems) lets them ripen, then takes the flesh out, mashes it up and freezes it in single avocado portions on a tray, bags them, then takes them out and does whatever with them. I asked her if they don't come out watery and she said a little bit, but she just lets the liquid drain off and goes from there. She likes to eat avocado mashed with just a little bit of S and P. She REALLY likes avocados.
Does she add lime or lemon juice before freezing them? I scored 10 avocados the other day for $2. They are now ripe, but I'm not going to eat 10 today! As much as I love avocados.

Sorry, been out car shopping for last 2 days since they totaled our car and have been spending most of "on-line time" looking at cars and most of rest of time at the dealers (oh joy). Hope I'm not too late.

I asked her, she said she just scoops it out, plops it on the tray and right into the freezer.

Last edited:
Avocado Fungus Fruit Rot: Phytophtora

If it's just speckled throughout, it will be fine Andy. Just be glad you didn't get one like this..I was so bummed when I opened it. :(

img_1512301_0_a88c51f1425234e3b136b58ed7df2f58.jpg

FOR KAYELLE:

According to a scientific website, and from the way the pit looks, this is an avocado fungus called Fruit Rot or Phytophtora. Say good-bye.

It is very common during wet seasons in California ..

Http://www.ucce.ucdavis.edu

Last edited:
FOR KAYELLE:

According to a scientific website, and from the way the pit looks, this is an avocado fungus called Fruit Rot or Phytophtora. Say good-bye.

It is very common during wet seasons in California ..

Http://www.ucce.ucdavis.edu
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion. Random pit size is the nature of avocados. Some just happen to be more pit than flesh.

I love avocados, but it always feels like buying them is somewhat of a gamble. You pick what appears to be the perfect fruit, get it home, slice it open, and.... well, end up disappointed.

That's why if I need three for a recipe, I'll usually buy five and hope for the best. ;)

Last edited:
Steve,

Firstly, size is not a consideration in the question Kayelle posted. She was concerned about the Pit being rotten and appearing "not up to par" ..

It is not an uncommon problem. I did some research online and found this information, which she can read on her own ..

I believe that the pit in the photograph is probably " fruit rot fungus " and it is a common problem in the state in which she lives, California. It hails from heavy rains which is not that common in California however, it does have a season, I assume as it is the vegetable garden and fruit garden of the West Coast ..

It is a real possibility, that it is Fruit Rot, which is a funghus.

Have a nice day.

Steve,

Firstly, size is not a consideration in the question Kayelle posted. She was concerned about the Pit being rotten and appearing "not up to par" ..

It is not an uncommon problem. I did some research online and found this information, which she can read on her own ..

I believe that the pit in the photograph is probably " fruit rot fungus " and it is a common problem in the state in which she lives, California. It hails from heavy rains which is not that common in California however, it does have a season, I assume as it is the vegetable garden and fruit garden of the West Coast ..

It is a real possibility, that it is Fruit Rot, which is a funghus.

Have a nice day.

If you read down further in the thread, Kayelle said this:

I agree avocados should be allowed to ripen at room temp. However, if if you find yourself with more ripe ones than you can use, put them in the refrigerator. It will stop the ripening process somewhat.

GLC, what do you think was the cause of that humongous seed in mine? I've cut open thousands of avocados in my day, and that was bizarre!

The pit in her photo looks fine to me - just very large [emoji2]

Got Garlic,

It seems from the photograph that the " pit " ( yes most are large ) does not have a layer of pale light brown, almost like a " peel " on the pit ..

This is why I had thought or I mis-read Kayelle´s post, that she had been skeptical with the Pit and avocado in the photograph.

My apologies if this is the case ..

However, in reference, there is an avocado disease called fruit rot funghus .. And one of the reasons for this funghus growth, are heavy rains ..

Have a nice day ..

Back
Top Bottom