"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources > Terms & Techniques
View Poll Results: When making mashed potato what do you use and why?
Potato masher 31 64.58%
Potato ricer 9 18.75%
Mixer 12 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2006, 12:57 AM   #51
Assistant Cook
Mashed potatoes

Hello everybody:

this is bigjim, I just love this, we have 50 replies on this one subject.
that shows you the joy of cooking. everybody has their way they enjoy
mashed potatoes. they have different varities of potatoes, different
ways to prepare them just to get the right taste for them. I have been
in the process of moving andpacking to go to a different place and I haven`t
had a good meal since we started this thing. well tomorrow being sunday
I am going to light up the bbq and have some steaks ans mashed potatoes.
with a green salad. I can`t hardly wait. thank to everyone who contributed
to this subject. take care and god bless.....

I eat to live so I can live to eat
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 01:27 AM   #52
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I never new this could spark such an array of anwsers...though i did vote, I will say that the application of the mashers dictates what texture I prefer. Sometimes chunky, lumpy, homestyle is the way to go...sometimes satiny, velvet like is the way to go...or even whiped to the point where the simply melt in the mouth, oh god...oh, yup...........gotta go make some smashed potatoes! THANKS ALOT!<insert sarcasim> :-)

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #53
Sous Chef
Mashed potatoes

I learned my first year of marriage 2 important things - Do NOT use a food processor to make mashed potatoes unless you want glue and cumin does not work in tuna salad
JGDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 01:16 PM   #54
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Originally Posted by SierraCook
That is not necessarily true, ironchef. Unfortunately, not all of us have a stand mixer. Although, I would love to have one, but I just don't have enough counter space. I use a hand mixer or a potato masher to make my mashed potatoes.
I agree SierraCook. When I read the poll choices, a stand mixer never even entered my mind. Even if I had one, I couldn't imagine using it to make mashed potatoes for just the 2 of us--when I think of a stand mixer, I think of it in terms of larger projects.

I use either my hand mixer or a masher, just depending on my mood and which is handier. I don't mind a few small lumps in my mashed potatoes. I do not like sticky, gluey mashed potatoes (we get those at work--school cafeteria). LOL--If I ever feel like my daughter doesn't need me, I just remember last Christmas. She called me (we live almost 3,000 miles from each other) as she was preparing Christmas dinner. She wanted to know how to make mashed potatoes so that they wouldn't turn out gluey. Of course (being the smart-aleck I am), I told her to stop using Elmer's (white glue) instead of milk. It was nice being needed!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 02:38 PM   #55
Head Chef
Smile My 2 cents

I like mashed potatoes with whole medium sized skin on russets simmered 'til tender then halved and riced. While the potatoes cook I heat milk and butter and halved garlic cloves. when the potatoes are riced I fish out the garlic and add the liquid to the spuds and gently stir just enough to combine. The less handling the taters get the better.

I also like chunky smashed potatoes but that seemes to me like a different dish. I'll use reds simmered skin on then smash with a masher to the right consistency, adding liquids, seasonings and herbs as I smash.

Before I started using a ricer I would make whipped potatoes with mixer but haven't done it that way in quite a while. Someone mentioned cleaning the ricer. For me it's a lot faster to clean the ricer than peel the potatoes.
Old bachelor cook

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2006, 12:32 PM   #56
Master Chef
I like my mashed potatoes smooth and creamy, no lumps, thank you. We alternate between a masher (the old fashioned kind) and a hand mixer.
My Aunt Helen, a farm wife, made mashed potatoes every day, using a wooden mallet. They were light and fluffy, and I wish I had a big bowl of them right now!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #57
Since I seldom make less than a 10 pound bag of potatoes-worth of smashed taters, I always use a spoon to break up the chunks, then my hand mixer to blend the butter and salt. Sometimes, for special ocassions, I like to add sour cream and cream cheese w/chives...any leftovers make a grand breakfast the next morning.
abecedarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 06:37 PM   #58
Executive Chef
All three are good, but I think the potato rice works best because there are no lumps.

Corey123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #59
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to erinmself
I use a masher but my mom always used a hand mixer. I like them both ways.
" Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it" Psalm 127:1 God Bless You!!

erinmself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:16 AM   #60
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by buckytom
quizzie, do you remember what show was it on?

i've had them in restaurants, and made it at home. can't seem to match the strong lobster flavor that you get in restaurants, but yes, if made well, it's rich and buttery, with delicious pieces of lobster throughout. lobster and butter, and potatoes and butter were made for each other, so it's a perfect match. i've also had it with roasted garlic which was very good too.

it's possible they use a lobster stock to boil and blend the potatoes.
Bucky, I'm sure they probably use a lobster base or stock if it's a very pronounced lobster flavor.

marmalady is offline   Reply With Quote