When making mashed potatoes what do you use and why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

When making mashed potato what do you use and why?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you mash the potatoes in a non-coated aluminum pot, they sometimes can turn slightly gray due to the aluminum material of the pot and the metal masher striking against it..... sort of a chemical reaction.

I've encountered this problem on numerous occasions. To eliminate this problem, just use a SS pot or transfer the hot boiled drained potatoes to a glass, ceramic or SS bowl before mashing.

~Corey123.

Last edited:
I always use a potato masher, never a mixer, they turn out like glue. I don't mind a few chunks of potato, that way hubby knows that they are real! He hates when someone serves "fake" ones and has the nerve to call them mashed potatoes!

I use my hand mixer because I like the texture it gives me. The stand mixer is too much trouble and icky mashed potatoes. I like mine to be a little bit chunky with green onions in them.

I use a ricer.. it makes me sick to my stomach to taste lil lumps in my mash. Maybe cause ive always worked in restaurants and maybe cause my mom ALWAYS made them using a ricer and im spoiled.

Lumpy Mash potato is like Lump Custard.. just shouldnt be!

Chef_Jen said:
I use a ricer.. it makes me sick to my stomach to taste lil lumps in my mash. Maybe cause ive always worked in restaurants and maybe cause my mom ALWAYS made them using a ricer and im spoiled.

Lumpy Mash potato is like Lump Custard.. just shouldnt be!

Ah ... and yet some of us would say you're not spoiled because your mom didn't love you enough to leave the lumps in! :winkiss:

In the mid to late '90s, boiled drained lumpy mashed red potatoes with the skin still on them became such a big hit. It took off the new heights.

Then, along came garlic mashed and then roasted garlic mashed.:ermm:

And BTW, I'm going to try my potato ricer soon. With that, you don't need a mixer or masher. Just a rubber spatula to fold in the remaining ingredients like milk or cream, salt and pepper or roasted garlic cloves.:chef:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Well, for me mashed potatoes are different than smashed potatoes.

For mashed potatoes, I prefer russets because they can absorb a greater amount of fat & water based liquids while still remaining fluffy compared to waxy reds, "chefs", or yukon golds. I simmer them in salted water, drain and dry them in the hot pan, and then run them through my manual food-mill (similar in effect to a ricer) which produces a smooth & skinless puree. I try to work the potatoes as little as possible to prevent the starches from getting all gooey. For classic mashed, I then fold in warm butter, cream, kosher salt, and freshly ground white pepper - finely ground - I hate hard bits of peppercorn in my potatoes. I usually use my Mortar & Pestle for this.

Of course I sometimes custom tailor these to the other courses with a million different variations. Compound butters, herbs, roasted garlic, truffle shavings, infused oils, reduced stock glaces, clarified animal fats, and so on. But when I want the flavor of the potatoes to really shine through, I like just butter, cream, kosher salt, and finely ground white pepper. Having the proper amount of fat is the most important part, as it seems to carry the earthy flavor the best.

When it comes to smashed potatoes, I cut reds with skins on into medium dice. Next I simmer them in salted water, drain 'em & dry them in the hot pan, pour warmed butter and cream over them, and lightly "smash them" with a hand masher. Again, I try not to work them too much. Dicing them before hand ensures you have the proper sized pieces of skin without having to overwork them afterwords with abusive mashing trying to break up the large skins. Being pre-diced into chunks, it takes only a few squashes for the desired texture. Then I add my kosher salt and freshly ground white pepper and gently fold it with a spatula to incorporate everything.

EDIT: Man do I love potatoes... :)

Last edited:
I can't have too much potatoes, bread or rice. Only small amounts at a time, and in moderation because of the starch which would raise the glucose levels in the blood.:ermm:

Bummer!!:mad:

~Corey123.

Last edited:
Good mashed potatoes will pack the pounds on quick if you eat giant heaping portions. I'll eat maybe a half cup along with three or four other preparations on the same plate. Nothing goes better with potatoes than meat and other earthy flavors like those from mushrooms and truffles. A good braise and mashed taters is the perfect winter comfort food for me.

Oh like someone else mentioned here, I also enjoy a "Mix & Mash". Up here in New England, smoked shoulder is part of many classic boiled dinners. Mixing potatoes, carrots, and turnips into a puree (using the same technique I used for smooth mashed potatoes) makes for a fantatsic base for the pieces of shoulder along with a light (but sharp) sauce made from mustard, red wine reduction, thyme, sugar, and a bit of reduced cooking liquid (both smoky broth and fat).

EDIT: Man, winter is coming up soon... I can't wait. :rolleyes:

Looked over my recipe, and noticed I forgot the cabbage. I usually use one of my potato-sack towels and ring as much moiture out of a cooked wedge, then I dice it and serve it between the mash and shoulder pieces. I like people to be able to eat without a knife, even if everything is basically fork tender. I'm also a fan of cooking everything in one pot. Just add the ingredients in stages depending on cooking time required. There is something about the root veggies, smoked shoulder, and cabbage that happens in the big ole' pot when they cook together.

Last edited:
How do you mash your potatoes?

Once the potatoes are cooked, I usually used a hand blender to whip them up. I know many mash by hand with a masher or use a ricer. Which do you like best? For anyone who uses a ricer, can you tell me if you think there is a difference between ricer and electric hand blender. I'm thinking of going to get a ricer. Can I use a ricer for anything else?

Thanks!

I prefer to do it by hand. initially with a masher and then I whip by hand using a fork. I prefer the texture, finding machine bashed potato is too smooth. I haven't used a ricer.

I mash potatoes by just using a fork. Sometimes if the quality of the potatoes is not good leaving lumps, I will go over with a hand held blender. This way, I can control the texture and consistency.

htc said:
Once the potatoes are cooked, I usually used a hand blender to whip them up. I know many mash by hand with a masher or use a ricer. Which do you like best? For anyone who uses a ricer, can you tell me if you think there is a difference between ricer and electric hand blender. I'm thinking of going to get a ricer. Can I use a ricer for anything else?

Thanks!
If you want light airy mashed potatoes the ricer is the way to go in my humble opinion. Try to fold in your melted butter, in which you have already steeped the garlic or anything else you're adding. The idea, like with whipped egg whites, is to keep the air.

htc said:

Thanks!

You watched Ham on the Street, didn't you? LOL

I use that squiggly masher thingie, but after watching Ham, I am seriously considering a ricer.

I'm hoping to learn something from this thread. :)

I have mashed with a potato masher and electric hand held, for 6-8 ppl. I still like the electric -faster and easier, not not real smooth w/lots of butter. Was thinking about a ricer but don't think I have the strength to handle it :( Love taters though !:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom