"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #81
Head Chef

Not having much clue how or why baking ingredients react with one another, I'm a bit timid about experimenting with this cake. Here are two that I thought were successful:

1. substitute one tablespoon with whole milk.
2. melt well three chocolate chips in microwave first.

The latter takes maybe two and a half minutes. Then thoroughly mix. I suppose chocolate syrup would work, too. One should add some guilt to one's pleasures, yes?

Old 03-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #82
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Not having much clue how or why baking ingredients react with one another, I'm a bit timid about experimenting with this cake. Here are two that I thought were successful:

1. substitute one tablespoon with whole milk.
2. melt well three chocolate chips in microwave first.

The latter takes maybe two and a half minutes. Then thoroughly mix. I suppose chocolate syrup would work, too. One should add some guilt to one's pleasures, yes?
The eggs in the angel food act as the egg for the regular cake mix. This is such a fun cake. I appreciate it because in stead of buying or making a whole cake, we can just mix a one serving when we wish.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #83
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesfolk View Post
You might try adding 1/2 teaspoon of cocoa...it enriches the chocolate flavor. The angel food texture is still there but somehow it's not as noticeable.
Ty! will try it :)
Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #84
Head Chef

Same here, I also like that it's not too heavy or sweet, there's usually still room for a 3-2-1 cake serving after a dinner.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm sending my mom a bag of the premix, with instructions

It is such a great idea!
Old 03-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #86
Head Chef

My mom bought a box of white angel food & white butter cake mix, mixed them together in a gallon-size ziploc bag, and then stuffed it in her suitcase to take back to Japan.

I was very worried she would be detained and questioned at Customs.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #87
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm sending my mom a bag of the premix, with instructions

It is such a great idea!
Great idea for inexpensive Christmas presents...thanks!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #88
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
My mom bought a box of white angel food & white butter cake mix, mixed them together in a gallon-size ziploc bag, and then stuffed it in her suitcase to take back to Japan.

I was very worried she would be detained and questioned at Customs.
Going through customs/security with a large bag of white powder, that could be interesting.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #89
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

Great idea for inexpensive Christmas presents...thanks!
Hmm. Hadn't even thought about that! Mason jars with cute covers, with chocolate, white cake mix, with or without chips and nuts...college kids, seniors...

Thanks PF!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea

Going through customs/security with a large bag of white powder, that could be interesting.
Make sure you use the cocoa powder.

Tags
cake, recipe

3, 2, 1 Cake 3, 2, 1 CAKE I got this in an email, so thought I'd share. These individual little cakes are amazing and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat and calories that cake can have. Genius idea! INGREDIENTS: 1 box Angel Food Cake Mix 1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor Makes 1 serving. (Keep reading) DIRECTIONS: In a ziploc bag, combine the two cake mixes together and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have your own instant individual little cake! KEEP remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit, or ice cream sauce, or.... Helpful Tips: This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need to remember is "3 tablespoons mix, 2 tablespoons water, 1 minute in the microwave!" TRY various flavors of cake mix like carrot, brownie mix, pineapple, lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice. The flavor possibilities are endless! NOTES: The best thing is, you open both cake mixes into a gallon storage bag, one that 'zip locks' or 'self-seals', or a container that seals tightly, shake the two cake mixes to blend and then make the recipe. Storage of mix is simple, put it on a shelf. No need to refrigerate, since the mix is dry. Always remember, that one of the cake mixes MUST be Angel Food. The other can be any flavor. The Angel Food is the cake mix that has the eggs whites in it. 3 stars 1 reviews