I made this cake for a party we had at the weekend, its a traybake so its ideal for a crowd and it went down a treat. As I have coeliac I adapted it so its gluten free using Doves Farm flour, gf baking powder and xantham gum and it behaved well.
Here is the recipe if anyone would like to try it - using your own flags maybe!
This recipe is from the BBC Good Food June magazine:
Fruity Flag Traybake: (can also be frozen uniced) Easy to do.
You will need a 30 x 20 cm traybake tin.
100g butter or Stork (if you can get it its great in cakes), softened plus extra for the tin.
175g self raising flour
50g ground almonds
2tsp baking powder
4 large eggs
225g caster sugar (superfine sugar)
125 ml full fat greek yogurt
zest 2 lemons
For the butter icing:
175g softened butter
350g icing sugar (confectioners sugar)
(I also added a small amount of vanilla essence)
1. Heat oven to 180c/160c fan/gas mark 4
2. Butter and line a 30 cm by 20cm traybake tin with baking parchment
3. Measure all sponge ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix together using an electric whisk (I use my Kitchen Aid). Whisk until smooth. Spoon into the tin and level the surface. Lick the spoon.
4. Bake for 20-25 mins until lightly golden and the top of the cake springs back when pressed. Transfer to a cooling rack.
5. To make the icing, tip the butter into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Add half of the icing sugar and whisk again, add the remaining icing sugar and whisk until smooth. Spread the icing over the cold cake.
6. To decorate, place a double row of raspberries across the centre and down the length of the cake to make a cross. Next place a single row diagonally from each corner to the middle. Fill the spaces with blueberries. Cut into squares to serve.
Give it a go, its fab!!