Help needed with a Yellow Cake recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I have this great easy recipe for rhum butter cake that's SO good. Now, some friends are telling me to take orders and sell the cake. My problem is the recipe uses Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix (Extra moist with pudding.) While I'm still considering the thought of selling, I'm bothered by the fact that I'm using a premix which means it's costlier to produce my cake.

Can anyone suggest a replacement recipe for the Betty Crocker mix? Is it a simple matter of using a generic yellow cake recipe? But what about the moist/pudding part?

If you'd like this recipe, I can PM it to you.

(Where I am located, baking or cooking food at home for sale is perfectly alright and accepted, especially for small-scale or start up operations.)

I'd post a recipe, but I don't know what a "yellow cake" is. Are we talking about a sponge type cake (genoise)? Is it a pound cake? A chiffon cake?

Hi Jansonr! Thanks for replying. I think it's more of a pound cake. It's also very similar to butter cake. Did I answer your question?

I make no guarantees about this recipe, as I have never tried it, but I trust the source.

Vanilla-Butter Pound Cake

Melted unsalted butter
6 whole eggs, at room temperature
6 egg yolks (1/2 cup/120 ml), at room temperature
1 TBSP (15 ml) vanilla extract
1 TBSP (15 ml) water
1 pound (455 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 pound 2 ounces (510 g) vanilla sugar or granulated sugar
1 tsp. (5 g) salt
14 ounces (400 g) cake flour, sifted

1. Brush melted butter over the inside of 2 loaf pans measuring 8 X 4 inches (20 X 10 cm), then line the pans with baking paper. Set aside.

2. Place the whole eggs, egg yolks, vanilla, and water in a small bowl. Mix to break up the eggs and combine the ingredients without beating in any air. If the mixture is cooler than approximately 70 F (21 C), place the bowl in a bain-marie and stir for a moment or two to warm it. Do not heat to the point of cooking the eggs. Set aside off the heat.

3. Place the soft butter in a mixer bowl and beat, using the paddle attachment, for about 2 minutes. Add the sugar gradually, and continue beating for 4 to 5 minutes until the mixture is light in color (almost white) and fluffy. With the mixer running, pour the egg mixture in very gradually, taking about 5 minutes to add it all. Beat in the salt. Fold in the sifted cake flour one-fourth at a time. Divide the batter between the prepared pans.

4. Bake at 350 F (175 C) for about 1 hour. A wooden skewer inserted in the top of the cakes should come out clean. Unmold from the baking pans and cool to room temperature. Wrap and store at room temperature for up to one week.

Makes 2 Cakes, 8 X 4 inches (20 X 10 cm) each

Here's one -

Gold Cake

3/4 cup butter flavored vegetable shortening, 140 grams
1 1/4 cup sugar, 300 grams
2 1/2 cups cake flour, sifted, 300 grams
3 teaspoons baking powder, 14 grams
1/4 teaspoon salt
8 egg yolks, beaten, 130 grams
3/4 cup milk, 180 grams
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 2 (9-inch) cake pans with shortening and set aside.
Cream together the shortening and the sugar. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly alternate adding the egg yolks and milk with the dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Add the vanilla and mix well.
Pour into the prepared pans, about 550 grams of batter for each cake. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a rack.
Yield: 2 layers
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: Easy

And another!

RICH AND TENDER YELLOW LAYER CAKE

Makes two 9-inch cakes

To quickly bring the eggs and milk to room temperature (65°F), submerge them in a bowl of warm water for about 10 minutes after mixing them together. Adding the butter pieces to the mixing bowl one at a time prevents the dry ingredients from flying up and out of the bowl.

4 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup whole milk, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups sifted plain cake flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened, each stick cut into 8 pieces

1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously grease two 9-by-1 1/2-inch cake pans with vegetable shortening and cover pan bottoms with rounds of parchment paper or wax paper. Grease parchment rounds, dust cake pans with flour, and tap out excess.

2. Beat eggs, milk, and vanilla with fork in small bowl; measure out 1 cup of this mixture and set aside. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in bowl of standing mixer fitted with paddle attachment; mix on lowest speed to blend, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running at lowest speed, add butter one piece at a time; mix until butter and flour begin to clump together and look sandy and pebbly, with pieces about the size of peas, 30 to 40 seconds after all butter is added. Add reserved 1 cup of egg mixture and mix at lowest speed until incorporated, 5 to 10 seconds. Increase speed to medium-high (setting 6 on KitchenAid) and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Add remaining egg mixture (about 1/2 cup) in slow steady stream, about 30 seconds. Stop mixer and thoroughly scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Beat on medium-high until thoroughly combined and batter looks slightly curdled, about 15 seconds longer. (To mix using hand mixer, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl. Add butter pieces and cut into the flour mixture with a pastry blender. Add reserved 1 cup of egg mixture; beat with hand mixer at lowest speed until incorporated, 20 to 30 seconds. Increase speed to high, add remaining egg mixture, and beat until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Stop mixer and thoroughly scrape sides and bottom of bowl. Beat at high speed 15 seconds longer.)

3. Divide batter equally between prepared cake pans; spread to sides of pan and smooth with rubber spatula. Bake until cake tops are light golden and skewer inserted in center comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. (Cakes may mound slightly but will level when cooled.) Cool on rack 10 minutes. Run a knife around pan perimeter to loosen. Invert cake onto large plate, peel off parchment, and re-invert onto lightly greased rack. Cool completely before icing.

The pudding affects the crumb by adding more starch to the cake, increasing the starch/protien ratio. The oil in the recipe is what determines how moist the cake is. To see and taste the difference, the next time you bake a boxed yellow cake mix, add an extra tablespoon of cooking oil to the recipe. You will be suprized by how much more moist it is.

So, for really moist cakes, try one of the many recipes you can find through a simple Google search.

Oh, and a yellow cake is simply a vanilla cake with extra egg-yolk, and butter used as the fat. Other than that, it is a simple batter, much like a devil's food cake, but substitiuteing vanilla, egg yolk, and butter for the cocoa.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for all your help! I will see how I can substitute the premix with your suggestions!

Back
Top Bottom