"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-02-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Master Chef

How BAD would using margarine instead of butter be?

My dairy-allergic friend looked at a lemon pound cake in one of my cooking mags and started salivating ...

How bad would it be to make a pound cake with margerine instead of butter. My first reaction is EWWWW. But that's because I think it is bad, bad stuff. I do make pie crusts with that and crisco and they aren't that bad.

But has anyone else made a pound cake with all margerine?

Old 03-02-2006, 11:08 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I've never done it, but would recommend using the older style of stick margerine rather than the whipped tub style stuff. I suspect it would more closely approximate the performance of butter.

Would butter flavored Crisco work?

Old 03-02-2006, 11:29 AM   #3
Master Chef

I have used the sticks of butter flavored Crisco (it came in 3 1-cup sticks to a package) and they are great for cakes from my experience - you just need to follow the directions on the package and compensate for the water in butter and margarine (1 cup Crisco + 6 teaspoons water = 2 sticks butter or margarine).

To me, margarine has no buttery flavor - and ironically the butter flavored Crisco has more butter flavor than the pure sweet cream (unsalted) butter you buy in the grocery store!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
This would be a hard pressed solution if I were in your shoes though how about trying "I can't believe it's not butter"? I know you CAN indeed believe it's not butter when you taste it, but still it tastes better than regular margarine...
Old 03-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #5
Master Chef

TNX ALL!

I think Andy is right that it needs to be in a stick for baking, as the tubs have so much water added. Does "I can't beleive" come in stick form?

I thought butter-flavored crisco tasted like the fake butter from movie popcorn ... or did I confuse that with another butter flavored spread thingie?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
Everymom

jennyema, I use the baking margarine for a lot of my baking and have made pound cake with it. It is not as rich tasting, but it DOES work.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
Does "I can't beleive" come in stick form?
Yes they do. Unless they stop making them since I left the US more than 5 years ago... It was the favourite of my ex so I remember well. I always saw them both in tubs and in stick forms. (1 pound package with 4 sticks).
Old 03-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

If a good quality margarine is used, I would think it would taste fine. It would be different than butter, of course, but should taste fine, especially if a good quality extract is also used. My mother used margarine in her baking because some didn't like butter.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thanks all. This may be my weekend project. Though I did have to explain to my friend where the term "Pound" cake came from and all that fat seemed alarming.

I love pound cake and can always bring the leftovers to work.

Will let you know how it comes out.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #10
Head Chef

When I grew up, always had margarine. Our families had to watch the pennies.

As I grew up, and got to go to restaurants, always wondered why I liked the 'butter' so much. Duh? Never made the connection.

For years, as a married couple we always used margarine. Then we found 'I can't believe it is not butter', and found it the best of the lot.

Now we use butter and nothing else. Both have to watch our diets, but there is nothing better than pure butter and you only live once.

But, given your restrictions for your friend, would try the 'I cannot believe...........' stuff.

No guarantee, but think it will work.

Please let us know.

Tags
None