"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #11
Master Chef

Site Moderator

For what it is worth...I have successfully swapped butter in place of margarine in many recipes. I actually think butter add a better flavor.

Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
For what it is worth...I have successfully swapped butter in place of margarine in many recipes. I actually think butter add a better flavor.
Did you use regular butter or unsalted? I only have unsalted. I'm not sure if that would make a difference anyway, but I'd hate to mess with this recipe the first time out. I'd also hate to go by margarine if I don't have to

Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Did you use regular butter or unsalted? I only have unsalted. I'm not sure if that would make a difference anyway, but I'd hate to mess with this recipe the first time out. I'd also hate to go by margarine if I don't have to
Unsalted is fine just add a pinch of salt to the recipe. I NEVER use margarine. I have done a lot of reading on this subject and most say it is better to use butter. They have the same calories but butter is natural. The process to make the oil used for margarine a solid isn't really healthy. But I guess that is my opinion based on reading and the fact that I prefer a natural product whenever possible (I hate having to use sugar sub but since type 2 I use it).
Old 09-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for your reply, MsM.
I was doing some reading on this myself this afternoon. I think I'm going to go with the spreadable butter that I have. It contains oil, which margarine has, and it also has salt in it. Maybe that's why Laurie's mom had margarine in the recipe, for the salt and the oil. And since I won't be creaming it... It seems to make sense.

I picked up some buttermilk today (I needed it for Sunday's dinner anyway) and the chocolate fudge pudding mix. I wanted to try these today, but the butter/margarine thing had me stumped until I had time to read up on all the substitution information out there on the WWW, which is way too much
Where's the forums bakers when you need them

I'm hoping to give this a go tomorrow, but my day is a lot busier, too.
I will keep the thread posted.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:24 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I wouldn't go with the spreadable butter! It is likely whipped, so it has some extra air in it.

The unsalted butter would be a much more equal substitute for the margarine. I use butter whenever margarine is called for and have gotten great results. I, like msmofet, prefer to use the more natural products, so I haven't used margarine in years. The only stick margarine (the only kind really suitable for baking) that I have found here that don't contain transfats, and are suitable for baking are more expensive than store brand butter, so I go with butter.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 05:31 AM   #16
Master Chef

Site Moderator

I agree, don't use the spreadable butter, go with the regular unsalted.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:48 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Excellent point about it possibly being whipped, bakechef. It doesn't seem whipped, not like whipped cream cheese vs regular cream cheese anyway, but it might be.

Butter it is!
Old 09-14-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Oh my - this recipe sounds so yummy!!! If I didn't already have cupcakes in my fridge from dinner out last night I'd make this right away. Maybe I'll do it as a treat this weekend when my hubby gets back from hunting :)

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 09-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

The recipe says it was TNT and I have to agree
If I can make these on my first attempt ever at making cupcakes and frosting... and have it come out like this did... you know it's Tried 'N True. I do not know my way around either flour or my oven. Or spreading frosting, as you can see First time for that, too.
Very light and very moist. My only change was to throw some coconut into the frosting.

Thanks for the recipe, Laurie.

Due to circumstances beyond your control, all of the cupcakes did not make it into the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cupcakes2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	12081  
Old 09-25-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis
The recipe says it was TNT and I have to agree
If I can make these on my first attempt ever at making cupcakes and frosting... and have it come out like this did... you know it's Tried 'N True. I do not know my way around either flour or my oven. Or spreading frosting, as you can see First time for that, too.
Very light and very moist. My only change was to throw some coconut into the frosting.

Thanks for the recipe, Laurie.

Due to circumstances beyond your control, all of the cupcakes did not make it into the photo.
Oh my. You done good, Pac! They look great! And I would bet the coconut added that extra sumpin sumpin.

Tags
chocolate, cupcakes, recipe

LP's Mom's TNT Stuffed Chocolate Cupcakes I will start with the cupcake batter and will have to add the filling when I find it. You can't bake them without it but at least you can see if this is a recipe for you! The filling is cream cheese chocolate chip with a simple but decadent chocolate frosting! Easy Chocolate Cupcakes 1 egg 1/3 cup cocoa 1/2 cup margarine 1 1/2 cups flour 1 tsp vanilla 1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk 1 tsp soda 1 cup white sugar 1/2 hot (not boiling) water 1/4 tsp salt Place ingredients in a bowl in the order given. Don't mix until the last item is added. Beat well. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. 3 stars 1 reviews