"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2016, 01:26 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Opinions from those who bake..

Many know that I'm not a baker but thought I'd give it another shot for T-day. This recipe from Ina Garden sounded good and easy. She's a cook I trust, but how does it sound to you?
Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake Recipe : Ina Garten : Food Network

I do not have a stand mixer, only a hand held one, but other than that, I'm sure I followed the directions exactly. The dang thing was an embarrassment to say the least. Blah.. It can't be that you actually need a "paddle mixer" to be a success with this, can it?

By the way, for those who don't know me, I'm a pretty darn good cook, although I remain a pitiful baker.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 01:33 AM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This cake is closer to a light custard than anything else. If you were hoping for something like a layer cake, you won't get it here. It is eggy, spongy, airy and unsatisfactory if you wanted "cake". Does sound good, though. I'm sure you did nothing wrong.

Old 11-27-2016, 03:12 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

What exactly did you not like about it, Kay?

It sounds more like a clafouti than a cake to me: "A classic French country dessert, clafouti is made by pouring a sweet batter, similar to pancake batter, over fresh fruit. The eggy batter then bakes around the fruit, creating a light, airy, pudding-like texture—the perfect mix of airy and custardy. It's typically made with cherries, but plums, peaches, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries can all get the clafouti treatment (and, in the autumn, even sautéed apples and pears)."

http://www.epicurious.com/expert-adv...-fruit-article
Old 11-27-2016, 03:30 AM   #4
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Clafouti, that's what I was trying to remember, thanks GG.
Old 11-27-2016, 04:01 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Love clafouti, GG!

My first thought is it looks like a cobbler of some kind. Or a buckle. Or any other similar batter-over-fruit recipe out there. I have a recipe (somewhere in my vast bin of clipped ones...) that calls for a similar batter to be poured over mixed berries. In fact, it calls for the Trader Joe frozen mixed berry bag!

Kayelle, much as I love the Contessa, I think she did you a disservice by calling this recipe a cake. Not your fault.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:07 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

TSM for your input ladies!

GG the link you left was a big help. Yep, it was chewy and tough.

Quote:
The only possible pitfall: Sometimes, clafouti comes out tough and chewy pastry. To avoid that, rest the batter for at least 30 minutes or, ideally, overnight. This lets the protein in the flour chill out and relax. Don't worry—you get to relax when the clafouti is baked.
It's too bad Ina didn't offer the same information!

Old 11-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Sorry it didn't work out for you, Kayelle
Old 11-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

No offense. but if a person can read, mix the ingredients as instructed, set the oven temperature and the timer, I can't get why you can't bake.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
No offense. but if a person can read, mix the ingredients as instructed, set the oven temperature and the timer, I can't get why you can't bake.
She didn't say she "can't" bake. She said she's not a baker, which means she doesn't bake often. I don't bake much either and there are times when I wonder whether the item looks or feels like it's supposed to (doubled in size or "elastic," for instance).

It's really nice that you grew up baking at your grandmother's knee, but not everyone is like you. Baking is a skill that takes time and experience to master.

Also, in this instance, following the directions didn't work because 1) the author didn't specify allowing the batter to rest and 2) the author described it as a cake but it seems more likely that it's a clafouti.
Old 11-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Well, that was insulting, to be sure. The operative word there is "can't"....I've never said I can't bake! I don't bake, because I don't enjoy it, and I don't need to eat baked goods to feed myself well.

Tags
None